Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Flacco's demeanor

They respect him as a player/QB, that is all he needs. He doesn't have to be a 'leader."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    2 SB rings aside, I think Eli is the best comparison to Flacco in the league. Not the arm strength that Joe has but everything else, including being a little unsteady at times. Now it's time for Joe to pass Eli in the ring category
    :word
    Last edited by RockyMRaven; 01-20-2013 at 02:17 AM.

The only emotion I need to see from Flacco is the fist pump after the Ravens score a TD.... He does his job and mostly does it well. I don't need a showboater pumping up himself like Cam Newton or a sissymary like Tom Brady begging for "roughing the passer" calls just because he was pushed to the ground! Joe's referred as Joe Cool for THAT reason! He takes the good and bad...internalizes it all and comes back with a mission. When that mission is complete....the fist pump comes and the emotions are let out....ready to build again for the next offensive drive.

I'm looking forward to many fist pumps from Flacco today~!

Quote Originally Posted by OriAl View Post
    I often see fans on this and other sites complaining about Joe Flacco's demeanor, in that he doesn't tend to show much emotion. It's said that he has to be fiery to be a leader. Why is this a problem? There was another Baltimore QB who was low key, yet nobody questioned his leadership skills. Yes, that was Johnny Unitas. Obviously, Flacco is no Unitas performance-wise (he's not the league's best), but that doesn't mean he can't be the leader of the offense. Teammates say he is, and that's enough for me.
    Johnny wasn't low key with the team if they were screwing something up, he would really get on lineman and receivers for blowing assignments

5. Re: Flacco's demeanor

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I've noticed his demeanor has changed since Cameron is gone. Seems more fiery,vocal and celebrates just a tad louder when we score.

Joe is a leader IMO, but he despised Cam so much that he just kept quiet. I think his play and demeanor has changed since Cam has moved on.
    This was my only issue with Flacco's demeanor: that when Cam was screwing up the playcalling, Joe just seemed to accept it, when he should of been pissed, and he should have tried to do something about it.

Of course, since none of us knows what was really going on behind the scenes, maybe he did try and it made no difference.
    Now that Cam's gone, that's no longer an issue, and it does seem to have allowed Joe to be a little more demonstrative.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    This was my only issue with Flacco's demeanor: that when Cam was screwing up the playcalling, Joe just seemed to accept it, when he should of been pissed, and he should have tried to do something about it.

Of course, since none of us knows what was really going on behind the scenes, maybe he did try and it made no difference.
    Now that Cam's gone, that's no longer an issue, and it does seem to have allowed Joe to be a little more demonstrative.
    Check out this quote

In recent weeks, however, Caldwell’s work with Flacco has gone a long way toward restoring his status as one of the N.F.L.’s more accomplished offensive gurus. In playoff victories over Indianapolis and Denver, Flacco threw for 613 yards and 5 touchdowns with no interceptions and a 120 passer rating.

Quarterback meetings with Caldwell, Flacco said, are all about open discussion. Flacco and his teammates have the freedom to float ideas past him. Anything is fair game. Caldwell listens nearly as much as he talks. “You can have honest conversations and grow your relationship,” Flacco said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/sp...ment.html?_r=0

Blog Entries

Anyone who wants to question his demeanor, listen at the end of the game, refs mike picked up this nugget, clearly Flacco's voice:

"We're gonna win a fucking ring!"

Case closed.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Speaking of calm demeanor, here is Jim Caldwell celebrating wildly after the Ravens victory over the Patriots!!!!! Someone please stop this man before the party gets out of control!! :happyanim

JC.jpg

OK I am kidding. :) This photo is (I think?) from some other time. But if there is a calmer person on the planet than Jim Caldwell I have not seen him. Not even Flacco is this mellow.

And the more we hear, the more it sounds like J.C. has exactly the right kind of leadership style that Flacco and our offense needs. He listens to his players, especially the veterans who know what they are talking about. That's excellent.

Think back to 1 or 2 years ago and we all felt that Joe and our offense might, just might, be ready to turn the corner, put on their big boy pants and show us a real NFL offense. And it kept not happening, at least not with any reliable consistency.

Then Cam was shown the door, and they gave the keys to Jim Caldwell. And now we're seeing the offense we all suspected was lurking in there somewhere. The system and the players were not broken. It just needed to be used properly, and Jim is the man making that happen.

9. Re: Flacco's demeanor

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Check out this quote

In recent weeks, however, Caldwell’s work with Flacco has gone a long way toward restoring his status as one of the N.F.L.’s more accomplished offensive gurus. In playoff victories over Indianapolis and Denver, Flacco threw for 613 yards and 5 touchdowns with no interceptions and a 120 passer rating.

Quarterback meetings with Caldwell, Flacco said, are all about open discussion. Flacco and his teammates have the freedom to float ideas past him. Anything is fair game. Caldwell listens nearly as much as he talks. “You can have honest conversations and grow your relationship,” Flacco said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/sp...ment.html?_r=0
    Thank you for that article: very insightful!

Some more highlights:

...Heading into Sunday, Caldwell had made a handful of changes that bolstered the Ravens’ offense. One was directing Flacco to roll out of the pocket with greater frequency, which helped stymie pass rushers. Linebackers and defensive ends are always trying to anticipate a quarterback’s “launch point,” Caldwell said. By keeping them guessing — would Flacco roll out? and if he did, would he move to his left or right? — Flacco bought additional time. The mere threat of being mobile made him more difficult to defend.

Even more important, Caldwell had called for Flacco to throw the ball deep far more often than he had under Cameron. Brock Huard, a former N.F.L. quarterback who spent two seasons with Caldwell in Indianapolis, said the move made a lot of sense. Known as a coach who typically plays to his quarterbacks’ strengths, Caldwell wanted Flacco to showcase his spring-loaded arm...

When Huard joined the Colts as a backup in 2002, he felt confident walking into his first quarterbacks meeting with Manning and Caldwell...
    He was mistaken, and he came to that realization within seconds of entering the room. Caldwell had covered every inch of several large whiteboards with opponents’ tendencies, plays for various downs and distances, routes, cuts, schemes, checks and reads. Caldwell’s penmanship was meticulous, Huard said, each formula and diagram etched with the steady hand of a surgeon. Huard found roughly 95 percent of it to be incomprehensible. After studying algebra, he had landed in a graduate-school seminar on thermodynamics...

...Huard said. “There were actually times during the season when I was like, ‘Oh man, I hope Peyton doesn’t get hurt.’ Because what he and Jim were doing was so off-the-charts.

Asked when he finally felt he had gotten up to speed, Huard said: “Never. That’s why I only lasted two years there.”

As far back as 1993, when Caldwell became the coach at Wake Forest, it was clear to his players that he refused to be wedded to a single offensive philosophy...