Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 87
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?



    Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    An interesting question. I turn your argument back on you though and say that if the Patriots studied and ascertained that we would have he highest chance of success throwing deep on the first play of the game, the they also could decide that we know that they know that and then assume we will exploit the short route while we assume they will cover the deep pass. So maybe they fake themselves into assuming we don't go for the easy ticket ? Who the heck knows haha. I think the smart thing to do on both teams is for them to try to take away the easy ticket on the first play, and for us to try o exploit and force them to prove they can stop it.
    I think the smart thing to do would be to get a few or two first downs (before we take our shots)so if we are unsuccessful we don't give them a short field. And I mean that regardless of what point in the game we are in. Short fields can not be an option.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  2. #17

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    I predict a deep bomb to the right side of the field on the first play of the game. Given what I've outlined above, and if Jim Caldwell has researched this at all to the kind of extent that I have, you have to like those odds. If you can connect on it, you silence the crowd on the very first play. Punch 'em in the mouth and see if they ever get back up. Exactly like that 80 yard Rice TD did to them in 2009.
    I'd rather go with a higher % play. Send Torrey deep (as they're probably expecting), pulling the safety over, and hit Q about 20 yards down the middle. He has to get involved early and often, and I'm sure he'd love to bang a few of those DB's around on the first play of the game.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    We had 503 yards of offense in the first game.

    Rice averaged 5+ ypc.

    Flacco hit 8 different people, the same as Brady. But our distribution was way more even. Brady relied on Welker and Lloyd. No other NE player had over 28 yards receiving. We had 3 players over 50 yards and two more at 48 and 49.




  4. #19

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    Given our tendencies to throw deep often we should be selective about when we do because it's a no brainer that the Pats will be very wary of the deep ball so we've got to come out and be patient and methodically march down the field taking what the defense gives us. I expect the Pats two play alot of 2 man deep coverages and the middle of the field to be open within 10-15 yards of the line of scrimmage.
    First and foremost is that we've got to find a way to run the ball effectively first because if we accomplish this then we can have our way with the deep balls. There's a reason why the pats finished 29th against the pass.




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,125
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    We had 503 yards of offense in the first game.

    Rice averaged 5+ ypc.

    Flacco hit 8 different people, the same as Brady. But our distribution was way more even. Brady relied on Welker and Lloyd. No other NE player had over 28 yards receiving. We had 3 players over 50 yards and two more at 48 and 49.
    Rice is going to by why ne can't defend the deep ball. If ne brings a safety up to stop the run the ravens will go deep


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  6. #21

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I keep reading how since Talib has been playing their secondary is sooo much better. Yet I never see them analyze who they've played against since Talib has been starting.

    Colts - Reggie Wayne? He is good. Not what he used to be. Rookie QB playing in NE, Luck was in over his head.

    Jets - ummm...Jeremy Kerley? Ok...

    Dolphins - uhhh...Brian Hartline???

    Texans - Johnson, but we all know the Texans fell apart at the end of the season - they weren't the same team (Schaub turned to garbage).

    49ers - Crabtree has really come alive since Colin K. But I still doubt many teams fear Crabtree on his own

    Jaguars - ...Cecil Shorts?

    They have faced hardly any real WR talent. A lot of those guys are C level WRs. B level at best. Only Johnson scratches A level, and Schaub had been horrible to close out their season.

    Maybe just maybe their secondary has improved because they been playing teams that have poor WR squads? Or are run heavy (Texans/49ers).

    Hmmm...

    It's not like Talib was lining up against AJ Green or Megatron or Marshall. Demaryius Thomas burned them for 180 early on. He totaled 50 yards when he played us in TWO games.
    Well according to Belichick and the captains he's made a positive impact on the team and it's easy to see for us when we don't have to have Arrington and McCourty at CBs with dumb and dumber at safety. I'll take their word for it. Just remember this time around there won't be any Edelman on Boldin and Slater at safety




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,262

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    It's supposed to be very windy in Foxboro. Unfortunately that may effect the success rate of our deep passing attack.




  8. #23

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Rice is going to by why ne can't defend the deep ball. If ne brings a safety up to stop the run the ravens will go deep


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the Pats are good enough at stopping the run with their front 7 that they'll seldom need to sneak safeties into the box, or atleast not enough to make it that big of a weakness against the deep ball.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,125
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronkey Kong View Post
    I think the Pats are good enough at stopping the run with their front 7 that they'll seldom need to sneak safeties into the box, or atleast not enough to make it that big of a weakness against the deep ball.
    Good luck with that have you seen our new look oline?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gronkey Kong View Post
    I think the Pats are good enough at stopping the run with their front 7 that they'll seldom need to sneak safeties into the box, or atleast not enough to make it that big of a weakness against the deep ball.
    Is that why Rice averaged 5 yards per carry in the first game?

    And that was before we unleashed Pierce and our revamped OL.




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gronkey Kong View Post
    Well according to Belichick and the captains he's made a positive impact on the team and it's easy to see for us when we don't have to have Arrington and McCourty at CBs with dumb and dumber at safety. I'll take their word for it. Just remember this time around there won't be any Edelman on Boldin and Slater at safety
    That's great. But does nothing to counter the fact that you didn't face much top notch QB/WR talent.

    Which means you haven't really been tested. So how can you trust the recent results? When those results include Sanchez and Henne and Tannehill 4 times? Along with big name WRs such as Kerley and Hartline?




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,125
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Is that why Rice averaged 5 yards per carry in the first game?

    And that was before we unleashed Pierce and our revamped OL.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  13. #28

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Is that why Rice averaged 5 yards per carry in the first game?

    And that was before we unleashed Pierce and our revamped OL.
    Oh well shit stop the fucking presses! Forget everything I've ever said, we'd be lucky to hold Rice to under 6 YPC!




  14. #29

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    That's great. But does nothing to counter the fact that you didn't face much top notch QB/WR talent.

    Which means you haven't really been tested. So how can you trust the recent results? When those results include Sanchez and Henne and Tannehill 4 times? Along with big name WRs such as Kerley and Hartline?
    Because before Talib those garbage QBs still looked like HOFers against this secondary. At least now they make the bad QBs look like they're supposed to




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: How do the Patriots defend the deep ball? Can Flacco have deep ball success against them?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Is that why Rice averaged 5 yards per carry in the first game?

    And that was before we unleashed Pierce and our revamped OL.
    They still have some pretty stout guys up front. Wilfork is always a force. I don't think we'll just run all over them.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland