Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe Flacco's price has certainly gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    This is a good point. The guy could conceivably play at a high level for another 8-10 years considering how durable he is.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    If the Ravens get to the Super Bowl, and even win it, all of a sudden, instead of it being "It's year five, when is Joe going to step up", it will be "Joe Flacco is already a proven Super Bowl Caliber QB and he's only entering his sixth year".
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    If the Ravens get to the Super Bowl, and even win it, all of a sudden, instead of it being "It's year five, when is Joe going to step up", it will be "Joe Flacco is already a proven Super Bowl Caliber QB and he's only entering his sixth year".
    Funny how quick perception can change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are the "Joe not worth a big contract" guys or the ones who claimed he doesn't have what it takes to win big games? Funny how Joe has some great games in postseason and those guys dissappear. Joe will make top money in Baltimore or Baltimore will have to go back to pre-Flacco days. Not really a choice at this point. Pay the man!

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Where are the "Joe not worth a big contract" guys or the ones who claimed he doesn't have what it takes to win big games? Funny how Joe has some great games in postseason and those guys dissappear. Joe will make top money in Baltimore or Baltimore will have to go back to pre-Flacco days. Not really a choice at this point. Pay the man!
    They disappeared when Cam did and Joe started looking more and more like a REAL top 5 qb every game. Yes it's a team game, but you can't argue that Joe didn't shit the bed on quite a few occasions (along with the rest of the team). However, qbs are expected to carry the team and Joe was very inconsistent about it. Just because he's amazing now, doesn't erase the past.

He deserves a big contract, but that doesn't mean that he did before he stepped up his game. It's not that black and white

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Here's a Patriots fan's interpretation, of the media's perception, of NFL QBs as the 2012 season progressed:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-...rogresses.html

Blog Entries
    @gregcosell: Always fascinated by perceptions this time of year. SI cover says Flacco has opportunity to rewrite legacy. Has he failed up to this point?

@gregcosell: Flacco raises QB question again. He's playing in his 3rd AFC Champ in his 5 yrs. Why is he not a "winner", for those who believe in that?

@gregcosell: On weekly basis no QB asked to make more intermediate/downfield throws than Flacco. More difficult, more risk. Strongest arm in the NFL.

@gregcosell: All the responses to Flacco just prove my point re: perception. Those who believe not asked to win games have no understanding of Ravens O.

Last edited by Paintballguy; 01-19-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Makes other fans mad that Flacco is a Raven and gradually setting the records that other so called elite QBs didn't in their first five years. I say let it go, Flacco proves his point by taking the field and just playing. Is he perfect, what other QB is? Does he have the stats like the other Qbs? Are those other Qbs still in the post season. Will he be a HOFer? After only five years, numerous records in his first five years,mostly dealing with what it takes to play in the post seaon(5 years in a row,most wins in 5 years, most victories on the road in the post season), to early to say.LOL Pay the Man!

Blog Entries

Greg Cossel really came to Flacco's defense in the shutdown corner podcast that I listen to every week, almost to the extent where it completely silenced the host and I kind of got the feeling he was a little pissed off with how Greg was defending him lol.

Greg Cossell actually picked the games for once and said he likes 49ers @ Atlanta, and picks us to beat the Pats.

Interesting perspective from Clark Judge of CBS Sports regarding Flacco's contract status, with quotes from an unnamed GM and agent, who think that the money being asked by Flacco is far too much and that he's headed for the Franchise Tag:

"But the flip side is: Is he worth $19 (million) or $20 million a year? Let's say he's looking for a five-year deal. Do you want to pay him $90 million or more, with a guarantee of $50 (million) to $60 million? We all know he's a good quarterback. But is he in the Manning-Brees-Brady conversation?"

The Ravens would have to answer that, and I suggest they'd probably say, "No." In fact, I'd say most persons would, too, and understand where they're coming from. They're not knocking the guy; they're simply trying to gauge his monetary value, and instead of Manning, Brees and Brady, they're saying Flacco's next contract should be measured against guys like, say, Matt Schaub or Philip Rivers.

Rivers in 2009 signed a seven-year deal worth $97.25 million, with $38.5 million in guarantees. Schaub this year signed a five-year contract worth $66.1 million, with $29.15 million in guaranteed money, and Flacco can use that as a ground floor. Flacco is younger than Schaub. He's more reliable than Schaub, has a better winning percentage and is a slam-dunk choice in the playoffs where he's 7-4, including 5-4 on the road.

So you start from there and go ... where?

"If I were doing the deal," said a high-profile agent, "I'd be looking at a five-year contract in the neighborhood of $75 million, with $40 to $45 million in guarantees."

"And I'd consider that exactly right," countered an NFL general manager when I ran that figure by him. "To me, that's where this deal is. For all the leverage that's talked about, he's looking at a market that doesn't exist. He's not going to see the open market, and that might not be what Joe Linta wants to hear, but that's the reality he's facing.

"If you don't believe ($75 million) is fair, then you play under the franchise tag for the next two years and make $30 (million) to $32 million. Then, at that point, you have an opportunity to make, say, $23 (million) to $24 million a season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...h-elite-status
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Interesting perspective from Clark Judge of CBS Sports regarding Flacco's contract status, with quotes from an unnamed GM and agent, who think that the money being asked by Flacco is far too much and that he's headed for the Franchise Tag:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...h-elite-status
    A lot of that article is bs IMO. Flacco is the future of this franchise and worth 100+ million. Without flacco there is no possible way we are playing tomorrow.

$100M over 5 years? That I'm not sure of.

$100M over 6 or 7 years, I more OK with.

While I would agree that the contract numbers mentioned in the article seem a bit low, I do agree with the premise that he shouldn't - even with a SB win - be paid like Manning/Brady/Brees. Those guys have proven to be beyond the inconsistencies that Flacco has exhibited during his career. And, while we all hope those are behind him, we also felt that way last January. Unfortunately, they returned again this season.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    $100M over 5 years? That I'm not sure of.

$100M over 6 or 7 years, I more OK with.

While I would agree that the contract numbers mentioned in the article seem a bit low, I do agree with the premise that he shouldn't - even with a SB win - be paid like Manning/Brady/Brees. Those guys have proven to be beyond the inconsistencies that Flacco has exhibited during his career. And, while we all hope those are behind him, we also felt that way last January. Unfortunately, they returned again this season.
    Cam Cameron