Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe Flacco's price has certainly gone up.

time to pay the man.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Right. I think where you're missing my point, is that Joe Flacco is a better and more accomplished quarterback at this point in time than Brees was at the same point in his career. And if Joe wins the Superbowl then there's no reason why he can't be in that discussion with Drew Brees.
    OK, well, we're using different comparison points. When talking about giving out a contract worth $20M a year, I really don't care where they are/were at the same point in their careers, I'm more worried about where they are at the time of the contract. Brees, at the time he got $20M a year, was more accomplished than Flacco is now. Even with a SB win, Brees at the time he got that kind of deal, was more accomplished than Flacco is now. And, that's not a slight against Flacco, because Brees is - and has been - one of the top QBs in the league.

Sorry, but Brees isn't earning $20M a year based on what he did during the 1st 5 years of his career (to compare with Flacco now), he's earning $20M/year based on what he's done in the last 7 years, during which time he's already proven to be one of the top QBs in the league.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Manning's deal was 7 years/$107M -

8/13/2009: Signed a seven-year, $106.9 million contract. The deal contains $35 million guaranteed, including a $13 million signing bonus, a second-year option bonus of $12.5 million, and all but $1 million of Manning's 2009-2011 base salaries. Another $500,000 is available in 2010-2015 via annual workout bonuses. 2013: $13 million, 2014: $15.15 million, 2015: $17 million, 2016: Free Agent

Thanks, not sure where my memory was at on that one????

That's god news. So a little over $15m, 4 years inflated is probably right in that 6yr /$100m range, 7 /$120m maybe???

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    OK, well, we're using different comparison points. When talking about giving out a contract worth $20M a year, I really don't care where they are/were at the same point in their careers, I'm more worried about where they are at the time of the contract. Brees, at the time he got $20M a year, was more accomplished than Flacco is now. Even with a SB win, Brees at the time he got that kind of deal, was more accomplished than Flacco is now. And, that's not a slight against Flacco, because Brees is - and has been - one of the top QBs in the league.

Sorry, but Brees isn't earning $20M a year based on what he did during the 1st 5 years of his career (to compare with Flacco now), he's earning $20M/year based on what he's done in the last 7 years, during which time he's already proven to be one of the top QBs in the league.
    I understand that. But I guess what I am saying is that Flacco is a better QB in that same stretch, so the comparison's to Drew Brees always bug me because what he is now he was not 5 years ago and if the two QB's came up in the same class Flacco would have outpaced him. The way Flacco has played, he should get close to the contract Brees last got because he's just about gotten to Brees' 7 year point in 5 years (minus the TD record of course), is my point.

And on a side note, Kurt Warner is now on the "Pay Joe Flacco" train. He thinks Flacco is deserving of a $100mil/yr contract too based on what he's done.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,1902763.story