Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe Flacco's price has certainly gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    But who would have thought it would be this night and day??

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Uhhh...*looks around*....
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

As I said 12 hours ago: "Pay the man."

Blog Entries

Caldwell put the ball in Flacco's hands in the second half, and Flacco delivered.

Why is Drew Brees always in this conversation? Everybody knows that he did not get to be an elite quarterback until he reached his fifth year, and had to move to another team to do it.
    Because when he got his most recent contract, the one that pays him $20M/year, he was by then considered to be an "elite" QB.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    As I said 12 hours ago: "Pay the man."
    LOL...... four weeks ago, you most certainly weren't saying that, and you know it! :p

Look, I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve to be paid handsomely, but it wasn't that long ago that people were lamenting - actually it was last week - the huge amounts of guaranteed money they gave Suggs and Ngata. At the time, those deals looks good, but some are now questioning that.

I love Flacco and have been very much supportive of him, but there still is that inconsistency that still existed just a month or so ago that still concerns me. I certainly hope it's behind him - and he's playing like it is! - but at $20M a year, with the kind of guaranteed money that will come with that, you'd better be SURE that it is.

If it's more in the $14-18M range on the base deal, I think that's appropriate. If there are escalators that could increase the base deal based on performance and team success, I'm OK with that - and have suggested that often.

But, if it's more like $20M on the base deal, I think that's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Because when he got his most recent contract, the one that pays him $20M/year, he was by then considered to be an "elite" QB.
    Exactly, BY THEN. But before that contract he very much was not elite. (cough cough Cam Cameron cough cough).

Flacco's entire body of work shows he should get close to that money. If the Ravens could afford to give Flacco $20M, he'd be worth it. Not being able to afford that is a whole separate issue.

LOL...... four weeks ago, you most certainly weren't saying that, and you know it! :p
    Yep...as I readily admitted in my post.

Look, I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve to be paid handsomely, but it wasn't that long ago that people were lamenting - actually it was last week - the huge amounts of guaranteed money they gave Suggs and Ngata. At the time, those deals looks good, but some are now questioning that.

I love Flacco and have been very much supportive of him, but there still is that inconsistency that still existed just a month or so ago that still concerns me. I certainly hope it's behind him - and he's playing like it is! - but at $20M a year, with the kind of guaranteed money that will come with that, you'd better be SURE that it is.
    Well...there is no such thing as a "SURE thing", no such thing as a risk-free option. But from what I've seen sans-Cameron, in Denver, and in New England....I think you roll the dice with the one that brung ya, so to speak....I don't even know how you make a case for the alternative now: Alex Smith? A rookie drafted QB?

Blog Entries
    Bisciotti will go all in with flacco. Better believe it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's more in the $14-18M range on the base deal, I think that's appropriate. If there are escalators that could increase the base deal based on performance and team success, I'm OK with that - and have suggested that often.

But, if it's more like $20M on the base deal, I think that's too much.
    4 weeks ago is another lifetime ago in terms of performance. It really is that simple.

I think he gets $18M per year easily, with big guaranteed money. I don't see how we could say no. Heck, I am not sure how we could say no to $20M, though I think we might let him test the market in that case (and hope to match), and I hope Flacco doesn't make us do that.

This has always been a case of potential vs results.

It is one thing to see the potential to put up 3TD/0 INT, big yardage games, but then, in reality, only see them here and there along with a few clunkers thrown in every handful of games. But with Caldwell and in these playoff games (actually starting with the Giants game), we have seen no clunkers and massive, consistent performance.

It doesn't require any imagination anymore to visualize it. The last 4 weeks show it, and show it against playoff competition.

I do wonder if any other contracts will effect the negotiations though. Ryan could get extended first, and depending on that deal, things could be viewed differently. But I still think if Joe wants to play hardball, he can, and he would win doing it.

Wink Re: Joe Flacco's price has certainly gone up.

If the Ravens sign Joe with the franchise tag, does that mean back-to-back trips to the Super Bowl? One can only hope.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Exactly, BY THEN. But before that contract he very much was not elite. (cough cough Cam Cameron cough cough).
    No, the contract he signed in 2006 was not an "elite" contract - it included a lot of incentives that he earned. For the contract he got last year - an "elite" contract, for $20M/year - he had already been in New Orleans for 5 years (nothing to do with Cameron by then), with multiple Pro-Bowls (and deserved) and a SB victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    4 weeks ago is another lifetime ago in terms of performance. It really is that simple.
    Which many, many - including myself - said last year after he outplayed Brady in NE last January.

This has always been a case of potential vs results.
    No doubt.

Trust me, I'm not saying that Flacco shouldn't be paid handsomely - very handsomely. I just think that that $20/year range is very rarified air. It's also to a point, that if you're wrong, it's a franchise killer.

Again (it kind of funny to me that I'm even debating this), I'm not arguing against Flacco, as much as that size of a deal isn't something you enter into lightly and you'd better be sure that Flacco's inconsistency are most certainly behind him.