Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob Gronkowski

Blog Entries

Rob Gronkowski

Could this be why Ozzie Newsome marked Rob Gronkowski off of his board? Many fans rushed to judgment about Ozzie Newsome missing out on Gronkowski, but it might not have been as bad as initially thought. This is exactly why Ozzie took him off of his board.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Rob Gronkowski

He had a broken forearm. It's not like he had a history of breaking arms in college.

The issue that kept Ozzie away was his back. Backs are tricky in the NFL. So far that hasn't been an issue with Gronkowski. Ozzie is going to be cautious about drafting any player with a back issue or a history of concussions. I can't blame him for taking that approach. I probably would too if it were my money at risk.

Blog Entries

I think the initial concerns were his back.

His back has never been an issue.

It's been an ankle and now this freak forearm stuff.

The ankle stuff happens all the time.

But to break the same forearm twice in two different spots could be a long-term issue. They brace their fall so much with their arms, it is going to be in constant line of fire every time he is tackled. Is there even such a thing as a forearm brace?

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Could this be why Ozzie Newsome marked Rob Gronkowski off of his board? Many fans rushed to judgment about Ozzie Newsome missing out on Gronkowski, but it might not have been as bad as initially thought. This is exactly why Ozzie took him off of his board.
    i thought it was back issues that bothered him before

Blog Entries

It was definitely the back issue which was questionable about Gronk. The forearm injuries have just been freak injuries. Looks like he just fell the wrong way on it.

It's also not hard to look like a Pro-Bowler when you have Tom Brady throwing to you in Bill Belichick system. Who knows how he would have done in a Cam Cameron system.

Blog Entries

Let's keep in mind that back injuries have a way of leading to injuries elsewhere.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

yeah, i guess in a way, you might give Ozzie props for not drafting a "fragile" guy. He was durable his first year or so, but now seems to be having trouble staying healthy.

But yeah, the back issues were what was red flagging him then.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

As for breaking the arm in two different places, this makes since. And it's not some related to some genetic bone weakness or something like that... lol.

He had surgery for the first break, correct? If so, that means the reason for surgery was to place screws and plates on the bone for proper placement and stabilization. Many times those plates and screws are removed after the bones are healed, but that requires a later surgical procedure. After bones have healed 100% they are usually stronger in that area than they were before, so it's rare to break a bone in the same place twice. The fact that he still has screws, etc reinforcing the initial "mostly healed" fracture makes since that it broke somewhere else... In fact, the artificial reinforcement may have caused reduced flexibility and increased stress/load to the other part of the bone and may have cause a fracture that wouldn't have otherwise happened.

Of course this is all speculation.

Not hating on the guy, but I'm sure glad he's out for Sunday. He would've been a nightmare for our LBs in coverage.

The Pats sure wanted him in that draft; IIRC they traded up to get in front of us in that round.

Let's keep in mind that back injuries have a way of leading to injuries elsewhere.
    Leading to a forearm breaking?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Leading to a forearm breaking?
    Instead of landing on his bad back, he breaks fall with his forearms? Amazing how some receivers land after being tackled or falling to the ground. To see them pop up and act like it was nothing really is amazing. Is it because they are in great shape or damn lucky?