Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 145
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,064
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Manti Te'o hoax (wth?!?)



    I'll give you this...we have the first report of someone saying Kekua is real:

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...kekua-is-real/

    Still, with that PR, looks like Te'o is admitting he never met her in person. Certainly, would need to investigate Mauia's statement, but it is at least offering a counter view of the Deadspins story...
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  2. #14

    Re: Manti Te'o hoax (wth?!?)

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'll give you this...we have the first report of someone saying Kekua is real:

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...kekua-is-real/

    Still, with that PR, looks like Te'o is admitting he never met her in person. Certainly, would need to investigate Mauia's statement, but it is at least offering a counter view of the Deadspins story...
    The whole story is totally bizarre IMO. To me it sounds like something that got out of hand and one lie lead to another etc....

    Personally as weird as this thing is, if he slides and is a good value then I would still have very little hesitation pulling the trigger over this stuff. Look its not like he was caught doing drugs, carrying a gun, or some other type of egregious behavior. This is a kid who seems to be a decent kid other than this one albeit bizarre thing. When your in the spotlight, everything you say and do is fair game. I would guess that maybe Teo is learning this valuable lesson that will serve him well in the future. Look if NFL teams started seeing less value in every prospect who told a lie at sometime or another they would have very few prospects to consider lol.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis




  3. #15

    Re: Manti Te'o hoax (wth?!?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I think deadspin did a very good job at painting the whole story. Refreshing to see actual investigative journalism.

    I will maintain that it is possible he was set up. However, IMO the evidence is pretty damning, and is enough to convince me he was in on it.

    What evidence? The investigator hired by ND said he has all the phone records showing that they talked for hours and hours and hours a week. If Teo was "in on it", why would he do that? Why take the time to call this mythical woman with that frequency if it was just a hoax? Doesn't that seem a bit much?




  4. #16

    Re: Manti Te'o hoax (wth?!?)

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    there are some weird discrepencies, if you take him at his word...How long ago did he know this was fake? I'm guessing the Deadspin story wasn't the first time he'd been clued into it. Why not come out and deal with it BEFORE some site has this long "expose" on it? That way, you DO look like the victim, instead of trying to defend yourself. He mentioned that when he spoke on the phone to her while she was in a coma, her face would brighten. I assume it was family members of her's that told him this? So did he speak to them on the phone? Who are they? Did Tuiasosopo master 1,000 voices?

    We're not talking crimes here, but the whole story looks...odd. Even if you take him at his word, he really made a girlfriend out of someone he NEVER met? Didn't think it was weird that every time they tried to meet, she had some excuse?
    I take it you didn't see the Sawbrick interview? Teo got a call from the same # as he was used to calling in order to talk to his "girlfriend". This happened a few days before the Heisman ceremony. The voice that he had acquainted as that of his girlfriend was on the other line and admitted to him that she had never died and that it was all a bad joke. He then immediately reported what had happened to the higher ups at ND, who authorized an investigation. The investigator turned in his report on Jan 4th, and ND did not feel the timing was appropriate to release that close to the national title game. The investigator's report said that there was no evidence in the least that Teo was in on it. I know this was an investigator they hired, but I'm not sure that impacts the findings.




  5. #17

    Re: Manti Te'o hoax (wth?!?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    The whole story is totally bizarre IMO. To me it sounds like something that got out of hand and one lie lead to another etc....

    Personally as weird as this thing is, if he slides and is a good value then I would still have very little hesitation pulling the trigger over this stuff. Look its not like he was caught doing drugs, carrying a gun, or some other type of egregious behavior. This is a kid who seems to be a decent kid other than this one albeit bizarre thing. When your in the spotlight, everything you say and do is fair game. I would guess that maybe Teo is learning this valuable lesson that will serve him well in the future. Look if NFL teams started seeing less value in every prospect who told a lie at sometime or another they would have very few prospects to consider lol.

    If the worst thing Teo did in his four years of college was not be a little more cautious before entering an online relationship, then I think he should get a pass.




  6. #18

    Re: Manti Te'o hoax (wth?!?)

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    HE knew back and December. Notre Dame confronted him and launched a private investigation to which they have since said to them, confirms his story.
    Per the Notre Dame AD, this is untrue. Teo came to them. They never confronted him. How would they have? They had no way of knowing.




  7. #19

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    The Manti Te'o story is just really really odd. I dont see how a team can just look past it. Either hes in on it and obviously shady and the purpose would be questionable at best or he wasnt and you almost have to question the guys intelligence to be duped by such a thing. At the very least is he mature/responsible enough to hand the pressure of being an NFL player on and off the field?

    I think he was in on it personally, because he and his father have claimed to have met the girl multiple times in Hawaii. How do you meet somebody that doesnt exist and continue to believe they do? The fact that he would fake such a thing for national attention, or whatever the case, is definitely raising questions about his maturity and character. things that have dropped far better talents in the draft.
    -JAB




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,358

    Re: Manti Te'o hoax (wth?!?)

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Per the Notre Dame AD, this is untrue. Teo came to them. They never confronted him. How would they have? They had no way of knowing.
    Yeah, I mistaken with using confronted. Sue me.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  9. #21

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    The Manti Te'o story is just really really odd. I dont see how a team can just look past it. Either hes in on it and obviously shady and the purpose would be questionable at best or he wasnt and you almost have to question the guys intelligence to be duped by such a thing. At the very least is he mature/responsible enough to hand the pressure of being an NFL player on and off the field?

    I think he was in on it personally, because he and his father have claimed to have met the girl multiple times in Hawaii. How do you meet somebody that doesnt exist and continue to believe they do? The fact that he would fake such a thing for national attention, or whatever the case, is definitely raising questions about his maturity and character. things that have dropped far better talents in the draft.
    Well said. I agree with you 100%. At this point, I GUARANTEE you there are multiple teams who have taken him off their draft board. The thing I don't get is... does he really expect this thing to blow over? The teams are going to investigate this very thoroughly and nothing in his background is going to stay hidden. If he isn't telling 100% of the truth (and I think most people agree he isn't) it's going to get found out and hurt his draft stock even more.

    At this point, like I said, he's going to be undraftable to some teams... others will drop him substantially... I think he's CERTAINLY out of the 1st round right now. Worst case scenario, he pulls a Burfict and slides out of the draft. Best case, he goes in the 2nd.




  10. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,295
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Well said. I agree with you 100%. At this point, I GUARANTEE you there are multiple teams who have taken him off their draft board. The thing I don't get is... does he really expect this thing to blow over? The teams are going to investigate this very thoroughly and nothing in his background is going to stay hidden. If he isn't telling 100% of the truth (and I think most people agree he isn't) it's going to get found out and hurt his draft stock even more.

    At this point, like I said, he's going to be undraftable to some teams... others will drop him substantially... I think he's CERTAINLY out of the 1st round right now. Worst case scenario, he pulls a Burfict and slides out of the draft. Best case, he goes in the 2nd.
    Or, maybe she/they do exist and are trying to extort $$$ from Te'o?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  11. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,358

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    I think everyone who is reading into this Te'o story is doing so from their point of view.

    This is a different generation that this kid is part of where people have entire lives and relationships online, it is absolutely possible for someone who has grown up with the internet to feel they have a relationship with someone online. People of my generation and older look at that and say that's absurd.

    I haven't heard any where that the Teo's dad says he met her (maybe he did though).

    MY take is Manti had what he felt was a relationship with this girl, who he talked to on the phone and someone was faking the voice, when people would like us ask how do you have relationship with someone you haven't met, he would start saying they met to stop those questions.

    Maybe I am completely wrong and giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I as of right now believe he was a victim of a hoax and highly doubt he slips out of the 1st. I'll wait to hear the rest of the story from him though.

    BTW - every passing judgement, did you know Notre Dame had an investigation and their investigator found the person that sat on the other end of the phone talking to Te'o...
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    9,152
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I think everyone who is reading into this Te'o story is doing so from their point of view.

    This is a different generation that this kid is part of where people have entire lives and relationships online, it is absolutely possible for someone who has grown up with the internet to feel they have a relationship with someone online. People of my generation and older look at that and say that's absurd.

    I haven't heard any where that the Teo's dad says he met her (maybe he did though).

    MY take is Manti had what he felt was a relationship with this girl, who he talked to on the phone and someone was faking the voice, when people would like us ask how do you have relationship with someone you haven't met, he would start saying they met to stop those questions.

    Maybe I am completely wrong and giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I as of right now believe he was a victim of a hoax and highly doubt he slips out of the 1st. I'll wait to hear the rest of the story from him though.

    BTW - every passing judgement, did you know Notre Dame had an investigation and their investigator found the person that sat on the other end of the phone talking to Te'o...
    I'm reading the story from deadspin which laid out everything, so there is no point of view involved. It's pretty obvious that Te'o got caught in his lies. I'm sorry but I'm around the same age, and I'd never fall for any of this crap. Talking with someone online without meeting them does not equal a relationship. Also, you are telling me a star football player can't get laid by local girls, so he has to go online? Give me a break.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland