Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Manti Te'o hoax (wth?!?)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Waiting for the press to break the story instead of of simply coming out with it back in December doesn't make sense to me.

And now there's a person connected to the incident saying he's 80% sure Te'o was in on it.

That's where the final truth is going to come out. Whomever set up and / or collected those funds is the monster in all of this.
    To your first point, Teo got a call a couple days before the Heisman presentation from the girl who was supposed to be dead. She had told him she was alive. Teo went to ND admins with this info. They hired an investigator to look into, who didn't make his report to them known until 10-15. I'm not sure why they didn't want to come out with this information earlier, other than that they wanted to protect the name and reputation of one of their best players ever from the vicious attacks on his character that we are seeing from a lot of people here.

Secondly, the guy who says he is 80% sure that Teo is involved is a friend of the Tuiossosopo guy who is evidently the originator of this hoax. I would consider that a far less reliable source than the actual investigator.

Lastly, I think you make a great point. Let's see if there is any money trail. Whoever it leads too is probably the most guilty in this mess. I'm not sure why Teo would want to set up such an elaborate hoax for a few thousand dollars, but I will withhold final judgement on that for now.

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Funny how you can guarantee something when you are not privy to any discussion in any NFL war room. If Teo drops out of the top 15, it won't be far, and it will be because of his poor game against Alabama. If anything, being the victim of this hoax shows that maybe he thinks too much with his heart, which is hardly a rare "flaw" among 21 year olds.
    First of all, Te'o was already out of the top 15 in all likelihood after he got exposed against Alabama.

There are a lot of teams in the NFL that value character EXTREMELY highly. Jacksonville under Gene Smith literally would not draft a single player who had any smoke of any kind in their personal life--arrests, questionable references/connections that turned up on background checks, unfavorable media attention, etc. Obviously he's gone now but he's not the only GM in the league who operated under those principles. Obviously as you said I'm not sitting in any war rooms but there are dozens and dozens of examples of GMs emphatically stating that guys were not on their big boards due to character concerns or other non-football issues. You might not like it but that's reality.

Funny how you've instantly bought into the notion that he's a victim despite the balance of evidence seriously undermining that chicanery. Also funny how you could possibly spin even the most favorable interpretation of this into something that's "hardly a rare flaw." The truth is still unknown at this point but it's absolutely laughable to spin even Te'o's version of the story as anything but a colossal demonstration of awful judgment even for a 21 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    What, they pulled cell phone logs and found 8 hour phone calls at night to the same number (like Te'o said had happened)? That doesn't prove squat.
    Lol, it doesn't prove anything? Don't think you're a tad biased here? You think Teo just called those numbers and let his cell phone stay on for 8 hours? You think he was talking to a buddy for 8 hours a night? You think he wanted to make all those extended phone calls just to prolong the hoax? Cmon now.

Blog Entries

First of all, Te'o was already out of the top 15 in all likelihood after he got exposed against Alabama.

There are a lot of teams in the NFL that value character EXTREMELY highly. Jacksonville under Gene Smith literally would not draft a single player who had any smoke of any kind in their personal life--arrests, questionable references/connections that turned up on background checks, unfavorable media attention, etc. Obviously he's gone now but he's not the only GM in the league who operated under those principles. Obviously as you said I'm not sitting in any war rooms but there are dozens and dozens of examples of GMs emphatically stating that guys were not on their big boards due to character concerns or other non-football issues. You might not like it but that's reality.

Funny how you've instantly bought into the notion that he's a victim despite the balance of evidence seriously undermining that chicanery. Also funny how you could possibly spin even the most favorable interpretation of this into something that's "hardly a rare flaw." The truth is still unknown at this point but it's absolutely laughable to spin even Te'o's version of the story as anything but a colossal demonstration of awful judgment even for a 21 year old.
    You don't have to be 21 to fall for an online relationship hoax.

You can just Google "Dateline Online dating scam" or other online dating scams.

Check this out, it's a documentary about what could have happened to T'eo

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Why / how would Notre Dame investigate the money trail? They're powerful, but they can't access bank records or track money.

Look, the totality of this is very daming. At a minimum, he has some 'splainin to do.

He talked about Stanford yet nobody else has ever met her.

She was in a car accident yet never went to see her in the hospital.

She was killed by a horrible disease yet he didn't go to her funeral.

He talked about a closed casket yet how would he know?

Either he's incredibly stupid or he's in on it.

The NCAA starts to get suspicious when you start taking repeated trips across country. I don't believe this relationship was that long and that Teos story that they met at the Stanford game in 2009 was his cover to provide legitimacy to what was a completely online relationship. That was his fault there.

He was unable to attend the funeral because he was told it was on the day of a game.

From everything I'm seeing, this whole hoax was started by someone who he knew and at least semi-trusted, so if that person told him that she was unable to see him until she was back healthy, he believed it.

Blog Entries

I don't think the parents met her, but the father mentions her visiting him in Hawaii one time. So to the parents' knowledge, they met at least once in Hawaii. That was made before the hoax came to light.

As far as the money, I don't think there's any fraud, because any money that was donated sounds like it was made to a reputable leukemia foundation. Maybe the reasoning behind the donation wasn't honest, but it's not as if someone lined their pockets on this.

All that said, I'm starting to come down a bit from thinking he was definitely in on it. I can see how he could've been taken and a few details been misinterpreted. I'll wait until more details come out to pass full judgement. His draft stock could be repaired, they're claiming his poor national championship game was due to dealing with this, which may or may not be right, but it's possible. And if he does well at Pro Day and Combine, is it really hard to see a team taking a chance and just giving him a workshop on being safe on the internet?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Could you provide the link to where he said he had met her personally. If you listen to the entire interview with ESPN (I think it was Gene Wojo who interviewed him), he never once mentions any actual in person interaction with her. All of his comments about her are personality-related.
    Its been posted on here multiple times.

www.southbendtribune.com

"They started out as just friends," Brian Te'o said. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple.

"And we came to the realization that she could be our daughter-in-law. Sadly, it won't happen now."
    you want to take one interview where he doesnt say anything about meeting her, after admitting she doesnt exist, and ignore the other interviews that said he did meet her thats fine by me but im not sure how you can explain the former now that we know the latter. Theres something to be said for innocent until proven guilty but like i said, imo, theres plenty of smoke and mirrors here and where theres smoke...
    -JAB

Funny how you've instantly bought into the notion that he's a victim despite the balance of evidence seriously undermining that chicanery.
    Balance of the evidence? That's laughable. All the evidence that exists at this moment all but proves his innocence in the matter. The only evidence that indicts him is the avalanche of rushing to judgement that seems to infest our country in today's internet age.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

www.southbendtribune.com

you want to take one interview where he doesnt say anything about meeting her, after admitting she doesnt exist, and ignore the other interviews that said he did meet her thats fine by me but im not sure how you can explain the former now that we know the latter. Theres something to be said for innocent until proven guilty but like i said, imo, theres plenty of smoke and mirrors here and where theres smoke...
    Aren't you doing just the opposite?

But reading that quote. IS the Dad saying he himself met her or is he saying T'eo would have met her?

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

www.southbendtribune.com

The interviews in that article are with Brian, not Manti. As we've established, Manti did deceive his family into believing they had met and interacted in person, likely to cover his shame that the girl he was falling for was merely just a voice on the telephone for the moment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Aren't you doing just the opposite?
    one interview he says she doesnt exist. Previous interview he says she does and met her. They cant both be right but yet both are said. you can say its the same thing im just not choosing to ignore the previous but taking in both interviews to determine that something isnt adding up.

Why would he come out and say he met her while admitting she doesnt exist? that would take a special kind of stupid.
    -JAB

It amuses me how we as an educated fanbase get so upset when Raven-haters always reference the Ray Lewis "murder" as a way of impuning his character, even though the facts of the situation show that, at worst, he was an uncooperative witness. Now Teo is accused of doing something far less worse, and the Notre Dame-haters have already confirmed his guilt.