Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article on Patriots Offensive System

For the uninitiated like myself, I always enjoy reading things like this...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...brady-patriots

Quick summary:
    There are 3 main offensive systems in the NFL: Coryell (what the Ravens run), West Coast, and Ehrdhart-Perkins (what the Patriots run). All NFL offenses call a lot of the same stuff. What differentiates them anymore is terminology.

According to the author, the Coryell and West Coast specify individual routes and have become overbearing as they've attempted to keep up with the vast NFL route tree. The Ehrdhart-Perkins terminology remains simple (relatively speaking) by specifying concepts (route combinations).

One advantage is that this allows the Patriots to quickly communicate ideas in the no huddle. Sometimes they do this so quickly that the defense can't keep up (much to the chagrin of Ayenbadejo apparently). If you watch the Pats-Texans game, or if you've watched the Pats at all recently, they always seem to get in a few plays before the defense is set. Now, perhaps, I understand how they pull that off.

To anyone who's more familiar with X's and O's and the associated terminology, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the authors take.

As a side note, I believe the Ravens were the next most frequent user of the no huddle (someone in another thread posted a graphic to this effect). And I know I've seen and read quite a bit of Flacco wanting to speed up our no huddle. Since we booted Cam, is it also time to boot the Coryell and adopt a system that better complements the no-huddle/quick snap philosophy seemingly favored by our QB? If so, this off-season might be the perfect time.

Re: Article on Patriots Offensive System

So if Flacco and the offense have long drawn out drives, that should tire the pats defense where they will be out of energy to hang in the fourth Qtr? Turnovers from the pats and TOP belonging to the Ravens would slow the scoring from the pats(LOL). Flacco and the rest of the team play their A game( that means you ST guys), Ravens should have a good time.

I got a headache reading that but nevertheless good stuff. It should also be noted that last offseason Belichick actually visited Oregon coach Chip Kelly to learn more about speeding up the tempo of the no huddle. I read this somewhere but just don't know where.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I got a headache reading that but nevertheless good stuff. It should also be noted that last offseason Belichick actually visited Oregon coach Chip Kelly to learn more about speeding up the tempo of the no huddle. I read this somewhere but just don't know where.
    I think I read the same thing. Also, sorry about the headache. :)

Blog Entries

Flacco is best used in a hurry up offense that uses a combination of pounding the ball like the Patriots do, but taking far more deep shots down the field than them as that is where Flacco's strength lies. We have Jacoby and Torrey Smith who need to go deep.

Maybe a variant of this Patriot offense and the AC would be better suited for us.

One of the points in the article, at least as I understood it, is that you can use any philosophy with any of these systems. The only thing necessarily different in them is terminology. So we could theoretically use the Erhard-Perkins "system" (aka terminology) while still having an emphasis on taking shots down field.

Blog Entries

I think most NFL offenses use combinations and don't run just one offense. And if EP is so simple why does Brady have a Sonic menu on his forearm?

I have read several times that the terminology in the WCO is probably the toughest of all of them. Pat Kirwan does a good job explaining this in Take Your Eye off the Ball

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Keep in mind it was reported that Caldwell brought in some of his no huddle concepts this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    And if EP is so simple why does Brady have a Sonic menu on his forearm?
    Maybe it's not that its simpler, just that it communicates ideas more efficiently.

I wouldn't call the offense simpler, the concept in its basic form is simple. But a lot of other factors play into it making it much more complicated than a basic route tree based offense. In a route tree based offense each receiver has a route to run regardless of the defense presented to them. In the Pats offense, on any given play a receiver can have up to three routes to run based on the defensive alignment. Not only does the WR have to read the defense and understand what they are seeing, but they also have to ensure they are reading it the same as Brady. There is very little room if any for free lancing. It is timing based as well so if a receiver is not running his routes consistantly he won't last in NE. This is why most veteran receivers that sign with the Pats have failed (Galloway, Holt etc...).

Jamming the Pats receivers and disrutpting the timing is vital for any defense if they are going to have success against NE. It is why you guys typically have success against us, you are not afraid to press because you have Reed over the top. After watching last weeks game again on Monday, I'm not sure how affective Reed is at this point. He seemed to be late to deep balls and missed several tackles. He missed a big tackle on the Thomas TD that put the Broncos up 35-28. Is he injured? I want to watch the all 22 but it wasn't available when I watched the game on game pass. Not sure if that is a playoff add on or if they hadn't edited yet.

Edit: The all 22 is available now. A few observations about Reed:

1. They played him very deep between 18 and 25 yards at the snap
    2. They roled him over Thomas the majority of the time, they rolled him over Decker a few times, most of the time when he wasn't roled over Thomas, was when the Broncos went Twins or Trips and when the Ravens disguised Man-1 as cover 2. In this scenario they typically would use Pollard in Man and Reed would roll deep middle.
    3. Manning did a good job of using pump fakes and look offs to neutralize him
    4. The Broncos for the most part took what the Ravens were giving them and Manning went under or away from Reed most of the time
    5. The Moreno TD was bad for Reed, he bit hard on a pump fake to Thomas underneath and becuase of it failed at his primary over the top responsibilty
    6. On a short pass to Decker on 2 and 8 with 6:14 to go in the 2nd QTR. The Broncos ran a play action, Reed bit leaving Thomas in one on one coverage and he was open because Reed bit, but Manning chose to go underneath.
    7. Watching the Thomas TD on the all 22 it is clear that the TD was solely on Reed. He was the only unblocked defender, was in place to make the tackle and whiffed.
    8. It was clear that Manning wasn't looking to challenge Reed
    9. Reed did a good job overall of taking away the deep ball, mostly because of point 8.

Side note. The Broncos really picked on Ellerbee and Graham in coverage. I think the Pats will go at Ellerbee early and often.
    Last edited by mgcolby; 01-17-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mgcolby View Post
    I wouldn't call the offense simpler, the concept in its basic form is simple. But a lot of other factors play into it making it much more complicated than a basic route tree based offense. In a route tree based offense each receiver has a route to run regardless of the defense presented to them. In the Pats offense, on any given play a receiver can have up to three routes to run based on the defensive alignment. Not only does the WR have to read the defense and understand what they are seeing, but they also have to ensure they are reading it the same as Brady. There is very little room if any for free lancing. It is timing based as well so if a receiver is not running his routes consistantly he won't last in NE. This is why most veteran receivers that sign with the Pats have failed (Galloway, Holt etc...).

Jamming the Pats receivers and disrutpting the timing is vital for any defense if they are going to have success against NE. It is why you guys typically have success against us, you are not afraid to press because you have Reed over the top. After watching last weeks game again on Monday, I'm not sure how affective Reed is at this point. He seemed to be late to deep balls and missed several tackles. He missed a big tackle on the Thomas TD that put the Broncos up 35-28. Is he injured? I want to watch the all 22 but it wasn't available when I watched the game on game pass. Not sure if that is a playoff add on or if they hadn't edited yet.
    I'm assuming you are referring to Torry Holt?

He never played for the Pats.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

iggyman555 Guest

last years afccg, the pats were running wild on us, lets hope the D line and LBs review that tape