Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Steelers blowing the whole thing up...

Re: Steelers blowing the whole thing up...

Funny because this article below seems a little tame compared to what you posted. I don't get the sense they are looking "to blow things up" but certainly change is coming for sure. I expect them to lose Mike Wallace and possibly cut guys like Casey Hamption.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...in-pittsburgh/

Blog Entries
    Mike Wallace is gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is someone trying to bait a few steeler trolls to this forum? Trolls have been quiet since the end of the season. As long as BR is there, the team will have issues, cause BR runs that offense(haley didn't have a chance) and BR will do whatever he pleases. Br needs this offseason to get healthy and if he plays the first four games like he played at the end of 2012,steelers are in trouble. His hits tackles, sacks,,and age will have caught up to him
    Hell, he is not tyhe problem on defense though, some of their players are hurt to much and slowing down. Someone posted earlier in 2012 that they will have cap problems. Hope they can get it together though(LOL) won't be the same Afnc if they can't win enough games to make postseason.

We'll see. The Steelers have age on the defensive side of the ball and they've never been afraid of letting players walk and bringing in new guys. But I still find it hard to imagine they would go nuts in free agency, so that limits turnover a bit, at least for starting spots. Ben didn't seem happy with the play calling. Since Haley apparently turned down a chance to go interview for the Cardinal head coach job I'll assume the Steelers expect him to remain as play caller. So I could see the team bringing in different pass catchers and ball carriers to fit his vision.

The other way to read this is that Kevin Colbert is letting the players know they better bust their asses in the off-season and they may not be all that serious about a make over in reality.

Nice job by Mr. Colbert to try to get ahead of the story.

But the reality is, they have SERIOUS cap problems, and couldn't possibly keep all their players and/or retain their UFAs whether they wanted to or not. They "don't expect to use their francise tag this year"? No kidding - they can't afford to.

I guess it is theoretically possible this sudden desire to remake their lineup just happened to coincidentally dove-tail with their financial inability to do anything else, but I don't buy it.

Damn, they are finally facing reality. I was hoping they would do the restructure and keep old player stategy again. Lewis and Wallace are certain to leave. Amongst others, bad thing is both those 2 are in thier prime. The whole division is getting younger with better cap shape. Steelers are in mediocre mode. Saw it two years ago. Only have 7 picks in the draft this year as well. They will have a different look next year, for better I think if they cut the dead old fat contracts. Harrison,Troy, Clark & Ike and Heath arent spring chickens either. Same for Hampton, Foote and Kiesel. Plus, thier drafts havent replaced them very well. Hood was a bust.

Blog Entries

A writer my wife knows from college was mentioning he wasn't sure why Chip Kelly DIDN'T take the Browns job, considering they are up and coming in a division where "aging Ravens and Steelers set to take a step back".

I said agree on Steelers, disagree on aging Ravens, debatable on step back on Ravens. Especially when we just reached AFCCG two years straight without "loading up" on vet talent.

But yeah, Steelers have some tougher decisions because they missed playoffs this year, and were one and done in playoffs last year. Much more shakeup needed.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    I'm in the same boat. I never count out the Steelers. They'll find a way to contend again.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

We got faster a few years ago by letting go of Heap and some other guys. I can see the Steelers doing the same and still being a contender. It made the Ravens better and the Steelers are good at finding talent.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    A writer my wife knows from college was mentioning he wasn't sure why Chip Kelly DIDN'T take the Browns job, considering they are up and coming in a division where "aging Ravens and Steelers set to take a step back".
    Yep, Ravens D has been "aging" for about 5 years, i.e. as long as the current playoff streak. I wonder how the average age of the starters now compares to 2007.