The Ravens sense of urgency

Ray Lewis retiring gets the majority of the press, but most of also suspect:

1) Ed Reed will either retire or bei playing in anothe uniform next year.
    2) With DeCosta in waiting, Ozzie may be planning his retirement party.
    3) Paul Kruger will be an unrestricted free agent as will Ellerbe. The Ravens are unlikely to be able to sign them both.
    4) Birk is likely to retire.
    5) Boldin is playing well but is coming close to the age where even the best WR's begin to decline.

There is young talent waiting to step up but next year's Ravens will look different in a lot of areas. This team has the opportunity to win a championship and I think Reed and Lewis know this may be their last chance. I think Suggs and Ngata believe this will be their best chance. I wonder if losing so much in the playoffs has given the guys like Flacco and Rice an understanding that getting this far is hard and there are 0 guarantys in this league. No matter how good you are it takes a lot of skill and a little luck to win a championship, and this is the last ride not just for Lewis, but for an era of this football team.

I am not saying the Ravens will fall off a cliff. I think they have a lot of talent, but I think next year they will look a lot different, and with change, there are no certainties that they next crop will be get this close.

Re: The Ravens sense of urgency

Have to wait and see. Did decent with major injuries this year. New coaches that had to settle in playing with younger players. Coaches will do what they have to and Ozzie will do what he thinks is right. Hell, drafted Flacco didn't they five years ago and the team wasn't doing well before that. Five years of post season since then.Picked up FA and did well. Enjoy the moment now,next season will come soon enough.Ravens have players who will filled the role vacated by retirement.. Next man up!

Blog Entries

I also believe that this is the last year of the 1st Harbaugh era teams. Next season the cap is going to force the Ravens to make some changes. That doesn't mean they'll be bad or won't be able to get here again. What it does mean is that it's going to be different. The 2013 season will not be another version of the 2001 season.

Oh I think this team will look much different next year. Lots of roster turnover is coming. The players all realize this, I think. Hey, get that Lombardi and everyone will be happy, whether they have to move on or not. Finish!
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Ray Lewis retiring gets the majority of the press, but most of also suspect:

1) Ed Reed will either retire or bei playing in anothe uniform next year.
    2) With DeCosta in waiting, Ozzie may be planning his retirement party.
    3) Paul Kruger will be an unrestricted free agent as will Ellerbe. The Ravens are unlikely to be able to sign them both.
    4) Birk is likely to retire.
    5) Boldin is playing well but is coming close to the age where even the best WR's begin to decline.

There is young talent waiting to step up but next year's Ravens will look different in a lot of areas. This team has the opportunity to win a championship and I think Reed and Lewis know this may be their last chance. I think Suggs and Ngata believe this will be their best chance. I wonder if losing so much in the playoffs has given the guys like Flacco and Rice an understanding that getting this far is hard and there are 0 guarantys in this league. No matter how good you are it takes a lot of skill and a little luck to win a championship, and this is the last ride not just for Lewis, but for an era of this football team.

I am not saying the Ravens will fall off a cliff. I think they have a lot of talent, but I think next year they will look a lot different, and with change, there are no certainties that they next crop will be get this close.
    I completely agree. The time is now. It isn't next year or the year after. We only get one shot to send Ray, Ed, Matt Birk and Art Modell off right. This is that shot. Don't waste it, guys. Just. Win.

There is definitely a sense of urgency among the older guys, but I think despite some roster turnover next year, the team will still contend. The nucleus of young players is very good to great, and I think they'll still be the team to beat in the division.

Next year will be interesting, but can't look at that until Feb 4th.

I'm looking forward to Ravor's offseason primer.

There's a massive sense of urgency and about time to. That said, this window is only getting wider.

8. Re: The Ravens sense of urgency

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    As long as Joe plays like he has during this playoff run, this team will be a perpetual threat to go to the big game. I'm not entirely confident he can play at this level for 19-20 games (although I am hopeful), but if he can take the team to the playoffs and catch fire...

9. Re: The Ravens sense of urgency

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I also believe that this is the last year of the 1st Harbaugh era teams. Next season the cap is going to force the Ravens to make some changes. That doesn't mean they'll be bad or won't be able to get here again. What it does mean is that it's going to be different. The 2013 season will not be another version of the 2001 season.
    At least we have a QB and a backup RB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    At least we have a QB and a backup RB.
    Ravens are "Set like Chet" at QB & RB. Receiving corp solid. No worries there.