Jets fan from MA coming to show support and also discuss the game I love

Hey what's up Baltimore.....Im a Jets fan born and raised in Lawrence, MA....deep in the heart of Patriots territory. Grew up a Jets fan because my father and his side of the family are Bronx natives, so I inherited his team unfortunately LOL knew I shoulda listened to my mother! Too late now!

As a fan who loves the game of football, played some Pop Warner and High School at ILB, SS and CB positions, I have always been a HUGE fan of great D. Always have respected and enjoyed to watch guys like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed......who in my opinion are the Greatest Middle/Inside Linebacker and Free Safety I have seen play the game my 30 years on this earth.

Signed up initially to show support, mainly because

1. I Hate the Pats

1a. I'm a huge fan of great D and great players, and it sucks knowing wont be able to watch Lewis and Reed much longer

2. I HATE the PATS!

3. Since my teams HC made a name for himself as your line coach then DC, would like to get some opinions and feedback on him.....of course I'm speaking of SEXY REXY!

1aa. PLEASE BEAT NEW ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Re: Jets fan from MA coming to show support and also discuss the game I love

Welcome to our board and thanks for your good wishes!

You will find quite a number of Rex Ryan fans on here, and I'm sure you'll see some positive feedback about Rex. I have to tell you in all honestly, however, that I am not one of them. I acknowledge that Rex did great work here as a DC, but have been very glad he wasn't hired here to be our HC. Seems to me he's just too much of a "player's coach" and shies away from instilling the necessary discipline. In addition, since moving to NY he has seemed to relish publicity to an unhealthy extent. I don't feel that has been conducive to his team's effort.

I think here of late Rex has toned things down a bit, and that's a good thing. I can only speculate what his thinking is, but perhaps the last two seasons have begun to humble him a bit (to the extent such a thing is possible). He has a tough road ahead next season, what with all the management and coaching staff shake-ups, not to mention the albatross of Mark Sanchez's contract. It'll be interesting to see how he handles it. But I have to wonder if Rex just simply isn't cut out for head coaching and may ultimately end up as a DC again with another team.

OK, not a very uplifting post on my part, but just being honest and I don't think I'm the only one here who feels that way. You will hear from others who are more upbeat on Rex; I'm just giving you a view from the "dark side". And in the interest of full disclosure, I might as well come clean and tell you that I am not a fan of the Jets or their organization.

Nothing personal. I'm cool with fans of other teams visiting the board. I've occasionally done the same by posting on other teams' boards. Thanks again for your support against New England.

Re: Jets fan from MA coming to show support and also discuss the game I love

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Welcome to our board and thanks for your good wishes!

You will find quite a number of Rex Ryan fans on here, and I'm sure you'll see some positive feedback about Rex. I have to tell you in all honestly, however, that I am not one of them. I acknowledge that Rex did great work here as a DC, but have been very glad he wasn't hired here to be our HC. Seems to me he's just too much of a "player's coach" and shies away from instilling the necessary discipline. In addition, since moving to NY he has seemed to relish publicity to an unhealthy extent. I don't feel that has been conducive to his team's effort.

I think here of late Rex has toned things down a bit, and that's a good thing. I can only speculate what his thinking is, but perhaps the last two seasons have begun to humble him a bit (to the extent such a thing is possible). He has a tough road ahead next season, what with all the management and coaching staff shake-ups, not to mention the albatross of Mark Sanchez's contract. It'll be interesting to see how he handles it. But I have to wonder if Rex just simply isn't cut out for head coaching and may ultimately end up as a DC again with another team.

OK, not a very uplifting post on my part, but just being honest and I don't think I'm the only one here who feels that way. You will hear from others who are more upbeat on Rex; I'm just giving you a view from the "dark side". And in the interest of full disclosure, I might as well come clean and tell you that I am not a fan of the Jets or their organization.

Nothing personal. I'm cool with fans of other teams visiting the board. I've occasionally done the same by posting on other teams' boards. Thanks again for your support against New England.
    Hey trust me, I'm use to opposing fans to liking my Jets.....they are probably up their with Oakland and Dallas as the least liked teams by opposing fans.....Im fine with that, and rather someone be honest than BS me with nice things to say because I complimented your team first.

As for Rex, definitely fair criticism. I would like to see him hold players more accountable, and I think he has started to do that. What I love about Rex is, for one he is a hell of an Xs and Os guy on the defensive side of the ball.....but also like that he isn't hard headed and let pride stop him from admitting short comings and trying to learn from his mistakes. Personally I think he is the right guy for the Jets......hell just how successful he was to win 4 out of 6 playoff games on the road with a bottom tier QB as a handicap and no legit pass rusher is impressive to me, especially when our biggest rivals and competition have arguably the best HC/QB duo ever. Now if we can get him a half decent QB and OC, I'll take my chances with Rex.

Thanks for the comments, always interested to hear from people who are familiar with Rex and just don't like him because of a friggin tattoo or because he "guaranteed a SB". All in all, the Jets highly overachieved in Rex first two seasons when you look at what he had to work with from an unbiased point of view.....in my biased opinion of course LoL