Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Flacco by the Numbers -- Was it Cam?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did any one see a couple rub routes and stacked receiver formations during the broncos game? Don't recall Cam ever doing that.

Re: Flacco by the Numbers -- Was it Cam?

Quote Originally Posted by codepurple View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but did any one see a couple rub routes and stacked receiver formations during the broncos game? Don't recall Cam ever doing that.
    they did a few, very few stack routes, not many rubs though. I hope they build this into the gameplan vs NE, it will totally take them by surprise.

Blog Entries

just heard on SiriusNFL it has been a real trend the last couple of weeks. way more long passes than ever before in the playoffs. Way more long TDs, long runs, etc. Very interesting

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I posted a similar thread sunday with little traction but i think it does show hes certainly part of the issue. Completion percentage dropping slightly i think may be a misnomer from the small sample bt we certainly arent checking down as much. Hes also improved pocket awareness which wont show up. Caldwell implimenting his own offense may increase his completion percentage to a more acceptable number as AC is always going to hurt your numbers in that regard no matter who your recievers are.
    -JAB

Maybe it's just me, but I can't remember Joe really dumping the ball off too much since Caldwell. He's using Ray Rice as a real running back and not also as a receiver.

But this could also be because instead of plays that have everyone running downfield and Rice as a checkdown, Flacco now has Pitta underneath to throw to, and slant patters to Boldin and Smith he didn't have before. Checking down isn't as necessary anymore.

Main differences:

1. Slants
    2. Hooks/comeback routes
    3. Passes defended(meaning receivers are open enough to where Flacco can actually try to fit it in there when they have a half-step on the guy. When Cam was in there receivers were usually totally blanketed or wide open, no in between.)
    4. Passes in the middle of the field.
    5. Worse play action(who cares though)
    6. Better rush blocking(probably because of McKinnie though.

Main similarities:

Running the ball on first down too much.

Mainly its addition by subtraction, I don't think Caldwell has been that fantastic but just losing Cam has been enough. I give Caldwell an A-

There are definite improvements with Caldwell. QB consistency has been and always will be in the type of passing game the Ravens currently employ. Most of the routes the Ravens are vertical routes which are not as easy to complete. They don't have dink and dunk passing plays that are essentially running plays. Using these plays increase a QBs consistency and completion percentage. Ravens primarily run it and throw the ball on routes deeper than 10 yards. It is why when the Ravens wanted to take advantage of Broncos using safeties to take away the deep pass they only used running plays.

I realize they are not making any wholesale changes in season but really hoping that whoever the OC is next year that they scrap the air coryell system and use more short stuff, crossing routes, rubs etc. Watching the other playoff games on Sunday and there were wrs wide open all over the place and they were mostly on crossing routes. Rarely see Ravens receivers get that open except when they get behind the secondary. And those passes are the most difficult to connect on.

Those stats are very telling but to be honest, I don't need stats to tell me what my eyes can clearly see.

Cam WAS the problem. Flacco has been looking like a different QB under Caldwell. He is flourishing and is becoming the Flacco that we would occasionally get glimpses of in the past...the good Joe on a more consistent basis. It is so refreshing to see his true abilities emerge now...and at a very good time!!!

The more frequent deep shots is probably impacting the completion percentage and Mckinnie's insertion back into starting lineup was a huge boost as it allowed everyone to migrate back to their normal comfortable positions.
    I also atribute Joe's completion percentage to adjusting to Caldwell's play design. Perhaps their certain throws in certain situations Joe has never had to make until Caldwell started calling the shots. There's an acclimation period that's still ongoing and I think his completion percentage will only go up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This then begs the question was Harbs the one holding McKinnie back all this time or was it Cam?
    I don't we'll ever know the truth to that question until somebody decides to write a book, lol. In any case, McKinnie's presence had made a huge difference.

iggyman555 Guest

a little OT but did anyone else notice ray was in the backfield helping block a lot more than we seen before, maybe a caldwell scheme to help the OL?

Blog Entries

All I know is we continue to set records for offensive output with game we play during this playoff run. Here's to hoping it continues this Sunday. :)