Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

How far is Flacco able to throw a football maxed out, stepping into it and everything? I can throw a football 58 yards actually. (though not on the run, haha. Putting my entire everything into it.)

By the way, I just straight-up don't believe Kyle Boller threw the ball through the uprights from 60 yards out on his knees. Was that supposed to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    By the way, I just straight-up don't believe Kyle Boller threw the ball through the uprights from 60 yards out on his knees. Was that supposed to be true?
    Actually, yes. He did it at the combine, in front of coaches.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    He means 59 years along the ground (or longitudinal distance in his plot).

PWD, any way you can figure the total distance traveled along the arc of the ball?
    I already calculated it out. Its about 81 yards. See further up

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Actually, yes. He did it at the combine, in front of coaches.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Is it on video anywhere? Any sources?

Well if Flacco practiced I'm sure he could too, then. Because there is no doubt Flacco has more velocity and arm strength than Kyle Boller. (and 100 times more accuracy)

5. Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

Kyle, I got a total arc length of 66.3 yards. And yes Cpt, that is quite different from what you got.

Cpt, maybe I’m misreading this but it looks like in your calculation of max height attained, you used 22.175m/s which strikes me as a total speed instead of vertical speed. Either way, I did a time step simulation which is a very different analysis than the one you performed though we definitely shouldn’t be getting results this different. I could easily have errors in my work as I didn’t put a great deal of time into this.

I’ll give a brief overview of my method
    Drag Force = .5 * density * vel^2 * Reference Area * Coefficient of drag (~.055 for spinning football)
    Y-accel = - Gravity – [ Drag * sin(pitch angle) ] / mass_of_football
    X-accel = - [ Drag * cos(pitch angle) ] / mass_of_football
    Y-vel = Y-vel_old + Y-accel * delta_time <- (same format for x, or arc velocity)
    Y-position = y-position_old + (y-vel_old + y-vel)/2 * delta_time <-(same format for x, or arc length)
    These are performed at each successive time step until y position is less than zero (ball hits ground).

There are some other minor steps and a number of assumptions that I’ve left out.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Is it on video anywhere? Any sources?

Well if Flacco practiced I'm sure he could too, then. Because there is no doubt Flacco has more velocity and arm strength than Kyle Boller. (and 100 times more accuracy)
    I can't find video of it, but I did find this beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    Yup. The other main factor was Jacoby slowing down, which I think caused Moore to focus more on Pitta. Once Flacco stepped up and heaved I think everyone involved said "Oh shit!" and Moore couldn't get there while Jacoby could. There was a lot more to it than Moore not being deep enough, but I don't expect to hear many analysts give Flacco or Jones credit because most of them suck at their jobs.
    Roland you've hit the nail on the head. I watched this play over and over [dvr] , frame by frame. You can plainly see when Joe moves up in the pocket, Moore spys Pitta wide open in the middle of the field, he goes towards Pitta and then sees Joe lean back and launch one. He didn't have time to get back to position himself to cover Jones properly. IT WAS A THING OF BEAUTY - Gonz

This thread needs a gif.
    If it messes up the thread for those with slow connections let me know and I'll take it off.

Oops...I see someone else already did a really nice job on the physics.
    Last edited by Filmstudy; 01-26-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Blog Entries

I've read through three pages of math and have yet to find one person that would get more than a 65 on the test. lol.

I sucked at Calculus, Physics and never took statistics, so I guess I'm up a creek too. lol.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOeL1....SJ12dtby.dpuf

From a fan in Denver......too funny!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOeL1....SJ12dtby.dpuf

From a fan in Denver......too funny!
    Like the kid who just finished second in the pageant. lol.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore