Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Arc on Joe's ball.

Feel free to merge if already discussed. But I haven't seen it.

Anyhow, all of the networks are ONLY discussing the misplayed position of Rahim Moore on the play to Jones. Obviously, Moore should have been behind Jones to tackle him if he caught it.

But Damn, I haven't heard ANYONE talk about the arc Joe put on the ball. Of Joe had put that thing a rope... it would have been intercepted. He put a steep arc on that ball and dropped straight down into the bread basket. For a second, Jacoby looked like an outfielder looking for a fly ball.

Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

That throw was about as perfect as one can throw the ball 60 yards in the air, on the run. No other QB in the NFL could have made that throw, that distance, with that much air under it and not even being able to fully step into his throw.

That is why is was completed. Moore had no idea that the ball could be thrown that far, and it surprised him.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    That throw was about as perfect as one can throw the ball 60 yards in the air, on the run. No other QB in the NFL could have made that throw, that distance, with that much air under it and not even being able to fully step into his throw.

That is why is was completed. Moore had no idea that the ball could be thrown that far, and it surprised him.
    Yup. The other main factor was Jacoby slowing down, which I think caused Moore to focus more on Pitta. Once Flacco stepped up and heaved I think everyone involved said "Oh shit!" and Moore couldn't get there while Jacoby could. There was a lot more to it than Moore not being deep enough, but I don't expect to hear many analysts give Flacco or Jones credit because most of them suck at their jobs.
    Long days and pleasant nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    Yup. The other main factor was Jacoby slowing down, which I think caused Moore to focus more on Pitta. Once Flacco stepped up and heaved I think everyone involved said "Oh shit!" and Moore couldn't get there while Jacoby could. There was a lot more to it than Moore not being deep enough, but I don't expect to hear many analysts give Flacco or Jones credit because most of them suck at their jobs.
    Roland you've hit the nail on the head. I watched this play over and over [dvr] , frame by frame. You can plainly see when Joe moves up in the pocket, Moore spys Pitta wide open in the middle of the field, he goes towards Pitta and then sees Joe lean back and launch one. He didn't have time to get back to position himself to cover Jones properly. IT WAS A THING OF BEAUTY - Gonz

This thread needs a gif.
    If it messes up the thread for those with slow connections let me know and I'll take it off.

Rereading this thread it jumped out at me that the arc distance I have in the sketchup drawing had to be off.
    I opened the drawing back up and noticed the 202' length was just to the highest peak of the arc.
    Stupid mistake on my part.
    I cleaned it up a bit and added both parts of the arc and get 86.5 yds which is in line with what CptJesus came up with.

Last edited by Baltimoreboy; 03-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.

\

YES! Everyone keeps talking about how he misjudged it, but no one is talking about why he misjudged it. He didn't think there was any way in hell Flacco was going to throw the ball over his head, but Flacco's howitzer has unlimited range.

This was exactly my assessment of it. Moore was the goat, but I think he wouldn't have been the only one, in a similar situation, to make the same mistake. That ball just never seemed to lose trajectory. Sorta like a ball that keeps carrying over a centerfielders head.

He throws the ball so high. By the time Moore figured out where th ball would land, he was still out of position because it dropped in a bucket. Joe has a CANNON!!!

Can anyone confirm how far the ball actually sailed in the air??
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Can anyone confirm how far the ball actually sailed in the air??
    That would be a good one for a math guy..... There must be some equation based on the distance, height, angle. The height alone has to almost double the distance the ball went compared to ball thrown on a rope. I'm not a calculus guy... lol.

More impressive is that the bail didn't hang... it still had a ton of velocity. Is Sports Science on this?

And, I think Moore was in position for a standard deep throw. It was the arc that put it over his head. Moore misplayed the arc, not the distance.

Blog Entries

Ron Jaworski brought up this topic yesterday. He mentioned how the ball had a perfect arc and dropped straight down.