Page 1 of 45 123 ... LastLast

Exclusive or Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag for Flacco?

Kicked off by Tony's article (http://russellstreetreport.com/non-e...g-with-flacco/), I had a few more thoughts on why the Ravens should use the non-exclusive tag.

Last year there were countless stories about how some team was going to swoop in on Mike Wallace or Lardarius Webb to steal them away from cap-strapped teams. Never happened. In Mike Wallace's case, the cost was only 1 first-rounder and the team would have only had to better the $2.5 million RFA tender price. In order to steal Flacco from the Ravens, the team would have to:

1) give up 2 first round picks
    2) structure the contract such that the Ravens couldn't match. That would have to be something in the magnitude of $60 million guaranteed to make the year 1 salary cap hit in the $25 million range
    3) convince Flacco that it's worth leaving a great situation. Would he really leave a model franchise to get destroyed behind the Arizona offensive line for an extra $10 million?

As awesome as Flacco's post-season run is, the guy is not on the Brees/Rodgers/Peyton/Brady level where he can turn a crap team into a Super Bowl contender. With a good o-line and good weapons he can go all the way, but without the right supporting cast we get games like last year's against Jacksonville or this year against Kansas City, Houston or Denver.

I also suspect there is a good deal of collusion around RFA's (especially under the new CBA which does not allow poison pills). Owners don't mess with other teams RFA's so that their's don't get messed with.

Right player - right price. If the cost of the exclusive franchise tag is losing Ellerbe, Boldin, Jacoby and/or a starting caliber LT, it is too steep a price.

Re: Exclusive or Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag for Flacco?

The smart thing to do is reach a deal and not have to worry about any tag. If they must resort to the tag then they have to use the exclusive one. You now have the cap floor to worry about. Teams like Cleveland, Cincy, Tampa, and Indy have to spend quite a bit of money to reach the cap floor. Indy isn't looking for a QB, and Cincy probably would keep Dalton before spending big money on Flacco, but Cleveland is the x-factor. Even if they knew we could match their offer, why would we let a division rival set the price?

And the cost of losing a franchise type QB we've been looking for all these years is not steeper??

Blog Entries

It isn't even going to come to that. Flacco is the most important player the Ravens have ever had to re-sign.

I would be utterly shocked if they got to the point where they had to use the tag.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    And the cost of losing a franchise type QB we've been looking for all these years is not steeper??
    Flacco with the 2012/13 playoff offensive line + Boldin in beast-mode is a franchise QB.

Flacco eating up 1/6 of the cap with Oher and Jah Reid as starting tackles and Tandon Doss as #2 WR is a disaster.

Blog Entries

With the Browns having so much cap space there is no way not to use the exclusive tag. That's why they need to get a deal done before it comes to that. The Browns will do everything possible to screw things up for the Ravens if given the chance.

Blog Entries

Flacco will be signed soon. Bank on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    Flacco with the 2012/13 playoff offensive line + Boldin in beast-mode is a franchise QB.

Flacco eating up 1/6 of the cap with Oher and Jah Reid as starting tackles and Tandon Doss as #2 WR is a disaster.
    You're just making way too many assumptions here. A deal will be made and this thread will dissappear.

Ponderous.

1. Flacco is a franchise QB no matter who is around him.

2. It's not as dire as you're making it out to be with regards to who we would put around Flacco even if he's tagged.

3. As shitty as it would be, watching Joe struggle for a year with inferior talent around him is preferable to risking losing him for the next decade.

Decisions like this are not made season to season, they are made with a player's career in mind. I would rather overpay to keep Joe for a year at the risk of hurting our chance to repeat than lose him forever and be forced to start over.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Did people forget the Giants game where McKinnie wasn't playing, but Flacco still lit up the Giants?

Blog Entries

I think they have to get a deal done and both sides know it. Failing that, they don't have any choice but to use the exclusive tag, painful as it would be

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Speculative at best.

What other doom-n-gloom scenarios do you see in that crystal ball of yours?

The reason I say that is because there is 1 specific piece that you're missing in all of this: NO CAM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.