Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: How we should attack the Patriots

Can anyone who has "All 22" watch the Pats game against Jacksonville and see what the Jaguars did to slow them down?

I watched some of that game but turned it when I realized the Pats had no shot of covering the spread.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Can anyone who has "All 22" watch the Pats game against Jacksonville and see what the Jaguars did to slow them down?

I watched some of that game but turned it when I realized the Pats had no shot of covering the spread.
    and the dolphins game

I think that was a combination of a few factors.

1. New England came off back to back prime time games agaisnt the Texans and 49ers. Came out sluggish.
    2. Jacksonville changed up quite a bit on D

Bedard a writer in New England who breaks down a lot of film had a good article about I will see if I can find it.

Edit: http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...UHO/story.html

Not quite the defensive breakdown you were looking for but it explains a lot.
    Last edited by mgcolby; 01-17-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Ok, just disspelling that McCourty is faster than T.Smith. Sorry but no. He isn't even as fast as Jacoby. You're corners are gonna be playing off most of the game with help over the top because they HAVE to. Thats gonna open up those quick slants and middle of the field intermediate routes.

My guess is thats what's gonna do it. the Pats are gonna sell out on not getting burned with 50+ pass play TD's. Rice out of the backfield, Pitta and Dickson and Boldin going across the middle are all gonna have HUGE days. Torrey and Jacoby will be limited to a couple catches and thats it.

443 yards and 28 points on a windy day where the Pats didn't attempt two FG's becuase of the wind? That is slowing them down?

McCourtey runs a 4.3 and Smith runs a 4.4???

I don't think Flacco can get it done with consistancy, but that is what it will take for the Ravens to win. If they can move the ball over the middle without Flacco making mistakes it will be tough for New England.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mgcolby View Post

I don't think Flacco can get it done with consistancy, but that is what it will take for the Ravens to win. If they can move the ball over the middle without Flacco making mistakes it will be tough for New England.
    Lol did you really post 40 times? Have you watched Torrey? He flat out flies. He ran by champ like champ was standing still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good observation on the Run blocking. That is something many folks miss. They tend to think the Pats still run strictly out of the zone and they are not a power run team. When the truth is they are both, and they are very good in the power run game, especially with Ridley who is a very patient runner. Both Vollmer and Solder are really good at getting to the to the second level from the backside on runs.

The Pats will go fast when it suits them. It will depend on your personnel package in the game at the time. If the Pats feel they have something they think they can exploit and they want to keep that matchup on the field they will go right into the hurry up. I agree we don't have a big lengthy deep threat WR, but Lloyd can get behind defenses. But for the most part the Pats are good at manufacturing deep balls. A good example would be splitting Vereen out wide on a LB and winning the speed battle essentially "creating" a deep threat. But yes, the Pats don't have a person that would be considered a true deep threat play in and play out.

Mayo has been better in coverage, but still has an issue finding and playing the ball in pass coverage. Hightower is deceptive in coverage, but is susceptible to read errors especially play action. Spikes is not a guy the Pats want trailing dudes around the field in coverage. I think the Pats will use more of Tracy White in this game because of the coverage issue. Unless Belichick and company are not scared of Flacco beating them underneath.

Denver didn't appear to blitz you guys very often. I think Belichick and Patricia will blitz Flacco quit a bit. Jones has not been the same since his ankle injury. The Pats are hot and cold when it comes to QB pressure, especially off the edge. But I think the Pats are going to do everything to bring pressure right up the middle and make Flacco roll out, especially to his left. Hightower and Spikes are good at disguising their blitzes, but again I am not sure how many snaps Spikes gets in this game. I think White will get a lot of time at MLB spying Rice out of the backfield. And don't sleep on Ninkovich a very underrated player on our defense.

One difference, and you pointed it out earlier, is the size and physicality of our ends. Dumervil and Miller are smaller speed guys, actually the Broncos front 7 as a whole is on the smaller side. I an interested to see how Mckinnee does against big strong physical ends, it is clear he can handle speed guys after playing the Colts and Broncos. But can he handle Jones' length, strength and speed (if Jones is healthy of course, practiced yesterday but reinjured his ankle on Sunday) or the power and burst of Francis. I'm not a fan of Oher at all and I think he will have his hands full with Ninkovich. The real question is how does your interior line handle Wilfork and Deaderick and in rotation Love? I think this is where a lot of the game will be won and lost in this game for the Ravens. If they can keep the tubbies out of the back field or Flacco face it will make life very tough on the Pats. But if they are getting to Flacco moving him around in the pocket etc...I think Flacco ends up throwing a couple of picks.

The safeties are above average in speed and coverage. They lack that intimidation factor, but Gregory has been very solid and McCourtey has been really good on the back end. Talib has solidified that secondary along with rookie Dennard and Arrington has been good in the slot.

I think you have to go to Boldin over the middle, he won't beat the Pats deep. But the key will be Pitta and Dickson, they both have to have big days other wise you guys won't move the chains enough to win. Smith won't be running free down the sideline this week, Belichick isn't dumb enough to leave Talib in Man 0 coverage on him. There will be a safety over Smith at all times. Also Smith isn't that much faster than Talib and McCourtey is faster than Smith. Champ is not what he once was and has lost a step or two. Denver was idiotic to leave him alone. Jones on a fly makes me nervous and when he is in the game on the outside will force us to play cover 2 on top.

I don't think Rice has a big game, if he does we are in trouble because the Pats will sell out on him both in the run game and the pass game. They will do everything they can to make Flacco beat them by being consistant in the short to intermediate passing game.
    Wow! So that Patriots are gonna play the safeties back in a Cover 2 look to stop the big plays down the sideline, while at the same time shutting down the running game. Who are they, the 2000 Ravens?

I did and how old is Champ?

Or better yet....Did you really just mention Champ to qualify Smith's speed?

There's a huge difference between 40 times and game speed. If you go by 40 times, Jacoby Jones is 4.5 guy, yet you'd be hard pressed to find people in the NFL who'd believe that he's that slow.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Wow! So that Patriots are gonna play the safeties back in a Cover 2 look to stop the big plays down the sideline, while at the same time shutting down the running game. Who are they, the 2000 Ravens?
    You clearly have not watched too many Patriots games this year. We don't stop the run with 8 men in the box. The front 7 gets it done.

I understand that, but do you have a better way to compare two guy's speed who came out one year apart?