Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How we should attack the Patriots

On offense, the Pats won't get much pressure, weak on edges. Ravens vs NYG, Indy, Denver didn't get much pressure in last 3 games vs revamped line. If the Ravens try to run up the middle to much they will be in 3rd down alot. Since Yandas return and Dickson and moving McKinney in the lineup the offense has been clicking. The Ravens have multiple options on offense to attack NE. They can beat them deep, middle range or short. Ravens should score 23+ points, likely more.

The return game should do well vs NE also. Close game upcoming.

Blog Entries

To me it's going to depend how the Patriots line up. If they have a 7 man front with soft coverage to prevent the deep ball, then you hand it off to Rice or work the short-intermediate stuff. If the Patriots start trying to bring the 8th man down in the box, you go over the top to the receiver singled up.

We have to do a little better job with Wilfork and the Osemele/Birk/Yanda trio will have a real battle to get him slowed down. If we can get a little wigglerooom for Ray Rice inside its going to help a lot. As far as the Pats pash rush, I think we are going to get our shots. Joe's comfort level should be good. We need Rice to beat their LBs in individual matchups. Their size may help us.

On defense, got to keep Brady thinking and of course. take away Welker as best we can. Hopefully, Woodhead will have not be there.......

Texas played a flat game on defense. They were terrible. The game was closer than it should have been.

Realistically, with all the holes, this team has played over its head, and we are going to have to put it all together Sunday to beat New England. Hopefully Brady will be a little cold and he can be a streaky QB......he certainly was hot this week.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

"Wave after wave. Wave after wave". Remember that? WC game in Foxboro a few years back.

Ravens had pressure on Bitch Brady that entire game. They'll need to do it again.

I think what the Ravens will have to do to beat the Pats is do exactly what they did in the latter parts of the Colts game and a lot of the Denver game. Attack, attack, and attack deep downfield, specifically where Steve Gregory is (I wouldn't test McCourty if I were them). Also need to keep an eye on where Arrington is as he's usually good for a completion or pass interference on downfield throws. They're going to have to make the Patriots respect the run game enough to bring the safeties down because I fully expect them to be playing bend but don't break all game long. The Patriots are going to have to be able to limit the running game with their front 7 alone, and Chandler Jones's injury is going to be something to watch for with that.

Defensively the biggest thing the Ravens need to do is keep pressure with their front 3 or 4 (easier said than done) and not rely on blitzes to get to Brady. The Pats offensive line has been pretty good this year on the edges but I think Baltimore will have the advantage on the NT with Ngata. The Pats are going to have to rely a lot on the no huddle and get those LBs huffing and puffing to take advantage of them with Vereen and/or Woodhead, but they need to be careful not to go too fast that they get a 3 and out within 20 seconds of gameplay and give the ball right back to Baltimore.

The Pats also need to buckle the fuck down on STs, they've been solid in coverage all year I don't know what the hell happened last night but the last thing they can afford to do is give the game right back to the Ravens with great field position or a bonus score

This should be a damn good game, and there's respect (believe it or not) from both teams, can't wait for Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post
    "Wave after wave. Wave after wave". Remember that? WC game in Foxboro a few years back.

Ravens had pressure on Bitch Brady that entire game. They'll need to do it again.
    Like I said, much respect from both sides!

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    Keep in mind that McCourty is now a starting safety for the Pats, putting Chung on the bench. He is better at S than CB. He's got good speed, but his instincts are still a bit raw and his ball skills aren't great. Gregory is the other safety and he's OK but nothing to fear, a better tackler than cover guy.

The starting cornerbacks (Talib, Dennard) are OK, not great.

The nickel back is Kyle Arrington. We need to target that guy. He is not very good. Jacoby as WR3 gets matched up with him perhaps?

So I like the deep ball in this game except Belichick is no fool and he'll try something to counter it scheme-wise. Of course that means something else will open up (shorter passes or the run game) so I think we have to take what the defense gives us.

Now that Gronkowski is out, who are the five starting skill position players for the Pats offense? I count the following, in order of how much of a threat they are:

TE Hernandez
    WR Welker
    RB Ridley/Woodhead
    WR Lloyd

All of the above are good to very good. Definitely a concern.

However... who is the 5th guy going to be? I foolishly deleted my DVR of the Pats/Texans game so now I can't go check who they had in there.

I wonder if this is possibly a significant advantage for us, not just because Gronk is out but because their next man up is (maybe) a big step down. Here are some possibilities:

RB Shane Vereen was lined up at WR and scored from there, but was that a semi-permanent thing? If we know about it in advance, then a RB playing WR does not scare me.

WR Deion Branch could get in there as WR3 but he doesn't scare me either.

TE/FB Hoomanawanui gets some snaps but he's mainly a blocker. Very average.

TE Fells is a pure blocker.

So who's the 5th man?

Losing Gronk shrinks the number of effective looks they can give us by a lot, and that helps. They can still execute a narrowed offense very effectively though, so it's still dangerous, but to me they look thin at offensive personnel now. Rotation won't happen much, and they better pray none of their main 4 skill guys gets hurt.
    they played without gronk for over a month and scored ridiculous amount of points over that time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Hopefully Brady will be a little cold and he can be a streaky QB......he certainly was hot this week.
    Somewhere around here someone posted a stat that showed Brady tends to have a down week after throwing a bunch of passes. I don't remember what the cut-off was. He threw 40 times against the Texans. Let's hope 40 is that number...lol...

Gronk being out for this game gives us no strategic advantage whatsovever because the Pats have played without him for at least 5+ games and really haven't missed a beat.
    On the defensive side of the ball I expect the Pats to play alot of 2 deep coverages. The verdict is out that we like to go deep and the Pats are not going to let anyone get behind them. So we need to stay patient and take what the defense gives us and methodically go down the field.
    Defensively I would like to borrow from the Jets playbook 2 years ago when they went into Foxboro as heavy underdogs and used a scheme suggested by Jim Leonard at the time. Something about the flooding the middle of the field with alot of DBs. I recall them using 6 DBs on many snaps. Sure frustrated Brady at the time.
    Here's hoping Pees disguises his coverages well. It's going to be another chess match.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Gronk being out for this game gives us no strategic advantage whatsovever because the Pats have played without him for at least 5+ games and really haven't missed a beat.
    On the defensive side of the ball I expect the Pats to play alot of 2 deep coverages. The verdict is out that we like to go deep and the Pats are not going to let anyone get behind them. So we need to stay patient and take what the defense gives us and methodically go down the field.
    Defensively I would like to borrow from the Jets playbook 2 years ago when they went into Foxboro as heavy underdogs and used a scheme suggested by Jim Leonard at the time. Something about the flooding the middle of the field with alot of DBs. I recall them using 6 DBs on many snaps. Sure frustrated Brady at the time.
    Here's hoping Pees disguises his coverages well. It's going to be another chess match.
    6 DBs could work...we got reed, pollard, cary, jimmy, graham, chykie

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    The thing about it this time is that we have the running game to take advantage of having 6 DBs on the field, and I feel that the Pats O-line will do better this year protecting him against a 3 man rush. It takes a full team effort across every level on defense to be able to do what the Jets did in 2010, I'm not sure Baltimore has the personnel to match what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronkey Kong View Post
    The thing about it this time is that we have the running game to take advantage of having 6 DBs on the field, and I feel that the Pats O-line will do better this year protecting him against a 3 man rush. It takes a full team effort across every level on defense to be able to do what the Jets did in 2010, I'm not sure Baltimore has the personnel to match what they did.
    Glad you chimed in. I wanted to see what you had to say. You're right. You have a much more effective running game this time around. By the way what's the status of Danny Woodhead. He's one shifty back and tends to give the Ravens a hard time.