Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Just because it's said with affection and is more accepted by some, doesn't change the fact that, yes, it is racist. Even if Suggs is saying it. It is a two way street people. If you want to be able to throw it around in one direction, be prepared for it to come back the other way.

The question remains, if say Steve Young had a black players Jersey on and said "the white guys at BYU are going to kill me for wearing a black guys jersey" would you be dismissing it? I think not.
    Jeez ... this is fuckin' ridiculous!!!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    What you say is typically correct, but truly sad.
    I agree about the sad thing. I would love to live in a world where Michael Irving's comments are the worst example of racial disparity that anyone should have to deal with.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    As much as white people hate to hear this, there is a difference between white people making a comment like that about a black person, and vice versa. I know that seems unfair, and maybe someday it will be, but right now we live in a world where we white people are vastly over represented in positions of power, wealth, entertainment, and politics. As such, we enjoy something known as "privilege". This is not an opinion that I'm pulling out of the air, it's a well documented sociological concept. Feel free to look it up.

So yea, a black guy can make a joke about getting shit for wearing a white guy's shirt. Black folks are also the only ones who are allowed to say "nigger" to each other. The relationship between blacks and whites is inherently unequal in this country right now. At some point we may truly live in a post racial society and that won't be true, but for now, it is.

And if that bothers you, just enjoy the fact that as a white person, you are more likely to be accepted for a loan with identical credit than a black person, more likely to be hired for a managerial position with equal qualifications than a black person, and much less likely to be stopped by the police for a random "stop and frisk" than a black person.

(Again, those aren't opinions, they're statistical facts that I'm pulling straight from my college sociology texts.)
    You talk like a sociology textbook is the pinnacle of a fact based argument when in actuality its incorrect. In fact, I know that equally qualified people for a management position within any local, state, or Federal would go to the African American. Unless you want to point me to an actual credible link backing up your arguments I'll just go with what actually happens in the real world.

I agree about the sad thing. I would love to live in a world where Michael Irving's comments are the worst example of racial disparity that anyone should have to deal with.
    The double standards that black people are worried about won't go away until double standards like this do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    You talk like a sociology textbook is the pinnacle of a fact based argument when in actuality its incorrect. In fact, I know that equally qualified people for a management position within any local, state, or Federal would go to the African American. Unless you want to point me to an actual credible link backing up your arguments I'll just go with what actually happens in the real world.
    affirmative action... antoehr double standard that needs to disappear.

As much as white people hate to hear this, there is a difference between white people making a comment like that about a black person, and vice versa. I know that seems unfair, and maybe someday it will be, but right now we live in a world where we white people are vastly over represented in positions of power, wealth, entertainment, and politics. As such, we enjoy something known as "privilege". This is not an opinion that I'm pulling out of the air, it's a well documented sociological concept. Feel free to look it up.

So yea, a black guy can make a joke about getting shit for wearing a white guy's shirt. Black folks are also the only ones who are allowed to say "nigger" to each other. The relationship between blacks and whites is inherently unequal in this country right now. At some point we may truly live in a post racial society and that won't be true, but for now, it is.

And if that bothers you, just enjoy the fact that as a white person, you are more likely to be accepted for a loan with identical credit than a black person, more likely to be hired for a managerial position with equal qualifications than a black person, and much less likely to be stopped by the police for a random "stop and frisk" than a black person.

(Again, those aren't opinions, they're statistical facts that I'm pulling straight from my college sociology texts.)
    This is true. I'm sure black people would gladly trade the ability to say something like Irvin/Suggs said for equality where it matters. If I was in their position, I certainly would. And I would gladly give up my right to some words that have no real impact, for the institutionalized pain that my ancestors went through from 400 years of slavery through Jim Crow and beyond.

Blog Entries

As Morgan Freeman says, the best way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it. People like Michael Irvin are just propagating racism by talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    As Morgan Freeman says, the best way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it. People like Michael Irvin are just propagating racism by talking about it.
    Bingo...

Blog Entries

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works here too.

It's just a really sad fact of life that is still true to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Spot on point... And apologist for racist and racially charged comments and actions are just as culpable.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I'm inclined to agree.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

12. Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    While walking around the set wearing a Matt Schaub Jersey and pretending to be Andre Johnson, did he say " the brutha's in Miami are gonna kill me for wearing a white guys Jersey?"

Really?? What is that bullshit?
    Rob Parker (secretly) approves.