Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 97
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?



    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    The fact that you use the term butthurt in your rebuttal shows that you do not have the intellectual fortitude to express a relevant opinion on this topic.

    You are excused from responding further.

    I'll feel free to dismiss your opinion as well.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I'll reserve judgement until I see a video of it. On its face it doesn't seem racist and it really could come down to context, which is important when these comments get written down but you don't know what was said before and after it.
    It doesn't really seem racist to me either. Especially since he's the one wearing the Schaub jersey.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268
    I guess Suggs is a racist piece of trash too for his "White Tight End" jokes about Pitta right? You know, the ones that this board still makes every few times Pitta makes a big play?

    Not every mention of race is racist. Not every racial sentiment is racist.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  4. #19

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I guess Suggs is a racist piece of trash too for his "White Tight End" jokes about Pitta right? You know, the ones that this board still makes every few times Pitta makes a big play?

    Not every mention of race is racist. Not every racial sentiment is racist.
    Just because it's said with affection and is more accepted by some, doesn't change the fact that, yes, it is racist. Even if Suggs is saying it. It is a two way street people. If you want to be able to throw it around in one direction, be prepared for it to come back the other way.

    The question remains, if say Steve Young had a black players Jersey on and said "the white guys at BYU are going to kill me for wearing a black guys jersey" would you be dismissing it? I think not.




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    baltimore
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Just because it's said with affection and is more accepted by some, doesn't change the fact that, yes, it is racist. Even if Suggs is saying it. It is a two way street people. If you want to be able to throw it around in one direction, be prepared for it to come back the other way.

    The question remains, if say Steve Young had a black players Jersey on and said "the white guys at BYU are going to kill me for wearing a black guys jersey" would you be dismissing it? I think not.
    Winner winner winner!

    Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268
    As much as white people hate to hear this, there is a difference between white people making a comment like that about a black person, and vice versa. I know that seems unfair, and maybe someday it will be, but right now we live in a world where we white people are vastly over represented in positions of power, wealth, entertainment, and politics. As such, we enjoy something known as "privilege". This is not an opinion that I'm pulling out of the air, it's a well documented sociological concept. Feel free to look it up.

    So yea, a black guy can make a joke about getting shit for wearing a white guy's shirt. Black folks are also the only ones who are allowed to say "nigger" to each other. The relationship between blacks and whites is inherently unequal in this country right now. At some point we may truly live in a post racial society and that won't be true, but for now, it is.

    And if that bothers you, just enjoy the fact that as a white person, you are more likely to be accepted for a loan with identical credit than a black person, more likely to be hired for a managerial position with equal qualifications than a black person, and much less likely to be stopped by the police for a random "stop and frisk" than a black person.

    (Again, those aren't opinions, they're statistical facts that I'm pulling straight from my college sociology texts.)
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado (via Gaithersburg, MD)
    Posts
    682
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

    It's really amazing that in the 21st century, racist comments are still very acceptable, as long as a more socially tolerable form of racism is used. I wonder when the country will actually treat all forms of racism as equally bad? It's really incredible how primitive this double standard really is, considering how much we changed since the civil rights movement. When does it just become completely unacceptable to use any form of racism whatsoever? 20 years? 100 years?

    I get what some people are saying about society, and how white people have an easier go at life than minorities do. But using simple, very basic logic, this double standard is just absurd. And you really should not even try to defend it.




  8. #23

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

    I don't really care what that guy says. He is completely brain dead.




  9. #24

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    As much as white people hate to hear this, there is a difference between white people making a comment like that about a black person, and vice versa. I know that seems unfair, and maybe someday it will be, but right now we live in a world where we white people are vastly over represented in positions of power, wealth, entertainment, and politics. As such, we enjoy something known as "privilege". This is not an opinion that I'm pulling out of the air, it's a well documented sociological concept. Feel free to look it up.

    So yea, a black guy can make a joke about getting shit for wearing a white guy's shirt. Black folks are also the only ones who are allowed to say "nigger" to each other. The relationship between blacks and whites is inherently unequal in this country right now. At some point we may truly live in a post racial society and that won't be true, but for now, it is.

    And if that bothers you, just enjoy the fact that as a white person, you are more likely to be accepted for a loan with identical credit than a black person, more likely to be hired for a managerial position with equal qualifications than a black person, and much less likely to be stopped by the police for a random "stop and frisk" than a black person.

    (Again, those aren't opinions, they're statistical facts that I'm pulling straight from my college sociology texts.)

    What you say is typically correct, but truly sad.




  10. #25

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Just because it's said with affection and is more accepted by some, doesn't change the fact that, yes, it is racist. Even if Suggs is saying it. It is a two way street people. If you want to be able to throw it around in one direction, be prepared for it to come back the other way.

    The question remains, if say Steve Young had a black players Jersey on and said "the white guys at BYU are going to kill me for wearing a black guys jersey" would you be dismissing it? I think not.
    Jeez ... this is fuckin' ridiculous!!!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268
    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    What you say is typically correct, but truly sad.
    I agree about the sad thing. I would love to live in a world where Michael Irving's comments are the worst example of racial disparity that anyone should have to deal with.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    5,056
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    As much as white people hate to hear this, there is a difference between white people making a comment like that about a black person, and vice versa. I know that seems unfair, and maybe someday it will be, but right now we live in a world where we white people are vastly over represented in positions of power, wealth, entertainment, and politics. As such, we enjoy something known as "privilege". This is not an opinion that I'm pulling out of the air, it's a well documented sociological concept. Feel free to look it up.

    So yea, a black guy can make a joke about getting shit for wearing a white guy's shirt. Black folks are also the only ones who are allowed to say "nigger" to each other. The relationship between blacks and whites is inherently unequal in this country right now. At some point we may truly live in a post racial society and that won't be true, but for now, it is.

    And if that bothers you, just enjoy the fact that as a white person, you are more likely to be accepted for a loan with identical credit than a black person, more likely to be hired for a managerial position with equal qualifications than a black person, and much less likely to be stopped by the police for a random "stop and frisk" than a black person.

    (Again, those aren't opinions, they're statistical facts that I'm pulling straight from my college sociology texts.)
    You talk like a sociology textbook is the pinnacle of a fact based argument when in actuality its incorrect. In fact, I know that equally qualified people for a management position within any local, state, or Federal would go to the African American. Unless you want to point me to an actual credible link backing up your arguments I'll just go with what actually happens in the real world.




  13. #28

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I agree about the sad thing. I would love to live in a world where Michael Irving's comments are the worst example of racial disparity that anyone should have to deal with.
    The double standards that black people are worried about won't go away until double standards like this do the same.




  14. #29

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    You talk like a sociology textbook is the pinnacle of a fact based argument when in actuality its incorrect. In fact, I know that equally qualified people for a management position within any local, state, or Federal would go to the African American. Unless you want to point me to an actual credible link backing up your arguments I'll just go with what actually happens in the real world.
    affirmative action... antoehr double standard that needs to disappear.




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    As much as white people hate to hear this, there is a difference between white people making a comment like that about a black person, and vice versa. I know that seems unfair, and maybe someday it will be, but right now we live in a world where we white people are vastly over represented in positions of power, wealth, entertainment, and politics. As such, we enjoy something known as "privilege". This is not an opinion that I'm pulling out of the air, it's a well documented sociological concept. Feel free to look it up.

    So yea, a black guy can make a joke about getting shit for wearing a white guy's shirt. Black folks are also the only ones who are allowed to say "nigger" to each other. The relationship between blacks and whites is inherently unequal in this country right now. At some point we may truly live in a post racial society and that won't be true, but for now, it is.

    And if that bothers you, just enjoy the fact that as a white person, you are more likely to be accepted for a loan with identical credit than a black person, more likely to be hired for a managerial position with equal qualifications than a black person, and much less likely to be stopped by the police for a random "stop and frisk" than a black person.

    (Again, those aren't opinions, they're statistical facts that I'm pulling straight from my college sociology texts.)
    This is true. I'm sure black people would gladly trade the ability to say something like Irvin/Suggs said for equality where it matters. If I was in their position, I certainly would. And I would gladly give up my right to some words that have no real impact, for the institutionalized pain that my ancestors went through from 400 years of slavery through Jim Crow and beyond.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland