Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    true...

It's like a victim of robbery, going on and robbing other people to get back what you lost, from completely different people.
    Your seriously going to compare some offhand stupid remark that Micheal Irvin made to the types of racism that his father and his grandfather prob experienced???? To use your analogy its like trying to compare a guy who steals your car to a guy who breaks in your house and kills your family. Its just two WAY WAY different things.

If you think growing up that Micheal Irvin was not a victim of racism you obviously do not know your history. If you think his position in life as a young man was not impacted by the limited opportunities his parents, grandparents and so on had....thats just burying your head in the sand.

So yea ...saying your homies will diss you for wearing a white guys jersey is kinda stupid and unnecessary but at the same time its hardly perpetuating racism in the way it once existed. It more like perpetuating stupidity
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Sheesh...people get offended by dumb shit.

Who gives a damn what Irvin said?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I did at the time. I thought it would make for a good discussion here with my friends, but between all the people telling us it's ok and people telling us who cares? I guess I was wrong.

The rest of the sentence obviously softens the blow, but the statement taken as a whole is very cracist.

Why in the world is ok for minorities to compound the racist history of America by using it as "payback".

Statements like RGIII made are what progress this society beyond it's past. Stop singling out ethnic groups and they will stop being discriminated against.

It's quite sad that the most likely "cure" for this is a few generations of mixed ethnicity children LITERALLY blurring the lines between ethnic groups making the process of seperating them more difficult.
    I have very little idea what most of this post even means, but I can assure you that what I said was not racism but fact. White people did shit. To a lot of groups in this country. For hundreds of years. What's past is past, but the past informs the present. It is ironic, amusing and (often) ignorant when white people make claims of racism not because it's impossible for other races to be racist, but because it is always ironic when an entity or group that has persecuted so much is suddenly feeling slighted.

This is right up there with people begging for a White History Month because they're too detached from reality to notice that, in the U.S., white history is just about everywhere and everything. It's right up there with people not getting that the point of affirmative action isn't to put unqualified people in high positions just because they happen to be non-white, but to correct centuries of institutional prejudice that has kept non-whites behind the eight ball, which forces them to play catch-up.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    So the last thing we need right now is white people pointing out hypocrisy when it clearly is occurring? If you can't see the irony in that statement in the context of race then you shouldn't be participating in this discussion.

So the color of a persons skin still has bearing not the content of their character. Got. It. The next paragraph in your response says all anyone needs to know I guess....
    Hypocrisy is hypocrisy. You are correct to say that. However, also correct is the fact that context exists, and that context matters. I said nothing about skin tone equaling character. I was pointing out the fact that history plays a part in this.
    Last edited by akashicrecorder; 01-13-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I did at the time. I thought it would make for a good discussion here with my friends, but between all the people telling us it's ok and people telling us who cares? I guess I was wrong.
    This is a discussion. People are making themselves understood, joking a bit to keep it light, and working toward consensus even as we acknowledge that true agreement is unlikely.

Just because it's not 6 pages of people agreeing with you doesn't mean it's a bad discussion.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    It doesn't really seem racist to me either. Especially since he's the one wearing the Schaub jersey.
    No, but it infers a racist culture towards whites at Miami. How do u not understand this??
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    You need to work on sentence structure.
    Do I? I'm a gainfully employed writer by trade, so I actually probably don't.

Probbaly could have been split into two sentences, but yes, it reads correctly.
    There can be a technical argument made for "white people's telling," but that's pretty formal.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    This is a discussion. People are making themselves understood, joking a bit to keep it light, and working toward consensus even as we acknowledge that true agreement is unlikely.

Just because it's not 6 pages of people agreeing with you doesn't mean it's a bad discussion.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Sheesh...people get offended by dumb shit.

Who gives a damn what Irvin said?
    Your just as bad with yur complete,y judgmental and dismissive rebuttal. The OP made a point about the clear hypocrisy in America regarding race. This is a forum. Wtf and who the fuck r u to judge? You're addition to the conversion was "people get offended by dumb shit, who gives a damn..." Obviously people do. If u don't, congratufuckinglations. But why don't u shut up and let people who want to discuss it, discuss it.
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Thunder View Post
    Your just as bad with yur complete,y judgmental and dismissive rebuttal. The OP made a point about the clear hypocrisy in America regarding race. This is a forum. Wtf and who the fuck r u to judge? You're addition to the conversion was "people get offended by dumb shit, who gives a damn..." Obviously people do. If u don't, congratufuckinglations. But why don't u shut up and let people who want to discuss it, discuss it.
    Woah there tough guy.

First, my "people get offended by dumb shit" is just that. People DO in fact get offended by, relatively, dumb shit. My definition of dumb shit in this thread would be what Michael Irvin said. Did anyone think that maybe he was joking around and trying to be funny? This isn't the first questionable thing he has said on air where he was trying to be funny. In that context, not that big of a deal. This isn't what Rob Parker said about RGIII a few weeks ago. Thus, why I say "who gives a damn what Irvin said". Because, really, who cares?

If you are so offended by my "judgemental" ( ) and dismissive nature to what Michael Irvin said, then maybe the internet isn't for you pal. Stick with Lifetime TV.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I have very little idea what most of this post even means, but I can assure you that what I said was not racism but fact. White people did shit. To a lot of groups in this country. For hundreds of years. What's past is past, but the past informs the present. It is ironic, amusing and (often) ignorant when white people make claims of racism not because it's impossible for other races to be racist, but because it is always ironic when an entity or group that has persecuted so much is suddenly feeling slighted.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    This is right up there with people begging for a White History Month because they're too detached from reality to notice that, in the U.S., white history is just about everywhere and everything. It's right up there with people not getting that the point of affirmative action isn't to put unqualified people in high positions just because they happen to be non-white, but to correct centuries of institutional prejudice that has kept non-whites behind the eight ball, which forces them to play catch-up.
    The problem with affirmative action is it perpetuates racism. Take the "Rooney Rule" for example, saying you have to interview at least one minority does few things. 1) It says you're not good enough to get an interview on your qualifications and knowledge alone 2) It also says no one will interview/hire you unless we force them to, because they're racist (what other option is there)? 3) It makes racism more of an issue simply by having the rule - just having the rule will lead people to talk about it (obviously) so there must be racism, right?

As to the topic of this thread. What Irvin said, doesn't necessarily mean he's racist. The problem with what he said is he just labeled all his friends in Miami as racist.

Personally, I am not offended with what he said, but it's not okay he said it. The OP has a point, if a white guy said it he'd be fired. We'll never move on from racism as long as a double standard like this exist.

Blog Entries

kind of like the difference between a woman calling a man a dick and a man calling a woman a cunt. both are the same thing technically. neither are really good, but ones certainly more accepted than the other.
    -JAB