Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I filed an FCC complaint.
    I did not think the FCC had jurisdiction over cable networks, but I am no expert so I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Yeah its what he said. I was watching it on DVR and backed it up several times to make sure. How in the fuck is me pointing out a racist statement, me being a racist?
    I didn't say it made you racist, I said it makes it look like you wanna say something that sounds racist. Like complaining about it and then backing up the "if a white guy said that..." statement, it looks like you wanna say something similar. Something that isn't really totally racist, but something you probably can't get away with nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v56A46P93eg

Blog Entries

I'll reserve judgement until I see a video of it. On its face it doesn't seem racist and it really could come down to context, which is important when these comments get written down but you don't know what was said before and after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    The fact that you use the term butthurt in your rebuttal shows that you do not have the intellectual fortitude to express a relevant opinion on this topic.

You are excused from responding further.

I'll feel free to dismiss your opinion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I'll reserve judgement until I see a video of it. On its face it doesn't seem racist and it really could come down to context, which is important when these comments get written down but you don't know what was said before and after it.
    It doesn't really seem racist to me either. Especially since he's the one wearing the Schaub jersey.

I guess Suggs is a racist piece of trash too for his "White Tight End" jokes about Pitta right? You know, the ones that this board still makes every few times Pitta makes a big play?

Not every mention of race is racist. Not every racial sentiment is racist.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I guess Suggs is a racist piece of trash too for his "White Tight End" jokes about Pitta right? You know, the ones that this board still makes every few times Pitta makes a big play?

Not every mention of race is racist. Not every racial sentiment is racist.
    Just because it's said with affection and is more accepted by some, doesn't change the fact that, yes, it is racist. Even if Suggs is saying it. It is a two way street people. If you want to be able to throw it around in one direction, be prepared for it to come back the other way.

The question remains, if say Steve Young had a black players Jersey on and said "the white guys at BYU are going to kill me for wearing a black guys jersey" would you be dismissing it? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Just because it's said with affection and is more accepted by some, doesn't change the fact that, yes, it is racist. Even if Suggs is saying it. It is a two way street people. If you want to be able to throw it around in one direction, be prepared for it to come back the other way.

The question remains, if say Steve Young had a black players Jersey on and said "the white guys at BYU are going to kill me for wearing a black guys jersey" would you be dismissing it? I think not.
    Winner winner winner!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

As much as white people hate to hear this, there is a difference between white people making a comment like that about a black person, and vice versa. I know that seems unfair, and maybe someday it will be, but right now we live in a world where we white people are vastly over represented in positions of power, wealth, entertainment, and politics. As such, we enjoy something known as "privilege". This is not an opinion that I'm pulling out of the air, it's a well documented sociological concept. Feel free to look it up.

So yea, a black guy can make a joke about getting shit for wearing a white guy's shirt. Black folks are also the only ones who are allowed to say "nigger" to each other. The relationship between blacks and whites is inherently unequal in this country right now. At some point we may truly live in a post racial society and that won't be true, but for now, it is.

And if that bothers you, just enjoy the fact that as a white person, you are more likely to be accepted for a loan with identical credit than a black person, more likely to be hired for a managerial position with equal qualifications than a black person, and much less likely to be stopped by the police for a random "stop and frisk" than a black person.

(Again, those aren't opinions, they're statistical facts that I'm pulling straight from my college sociology texts.)
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

It's really amazing that in the 21st century, racist comments are still very acceptable, as long as a more socially tolerable form of racism is used. I wonder when the country will actually treat all forms of racism as equally bad? It's really incredible how primitive this double standard really is, considering how much we changed since the civil rights movement. When does it just become completely unacceptable to use any form of racism whatsoever? 20 years? 100 years?

I get what some people are saying about society, and how white people have an easier go at life than minorities do. But using simple, very basic logic, this double standard is just absurd. And you really should not even try to defend it.

I don't really care what that guy says. He is completely brain dead.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    As much as white people hate to hear this, there is a difference between white people making a comment like that about a black person, and vice versa. I know that seems unfair, and maybe someday it will be, but right now we live in a world where we white people are vastly over represented in positions of power, wealth, entertainment, and politics. As such, we enjoy something known as "privilege". This is not an opinion that I'm pulling out of the air, it's a well documented sociological concept. Feel free to look it up.

So yea, a black guy can make a joke about getting shit for wearing a white guy's shirt. Black folks are also the only ones who are allowed to say "nigger" to each other. The relationship between blacks and whites is inherently unequal in this country right now. At some point we may truly live in a post racial society and that won't be true, but for now, it is.

And if that bothers you, just enjoy the fact that as a white person, you are more likely to be accepted for a loan with identical credit than a black person, more likely to be hired for a managerial position with equal qualifications than a black person, and much less likely to be stopped by the police for a random "stop and frisk" than a black person.

(Again, those aren't opinions, they're statistical facts that I'm pulling straight from my college sociology texts.)

What you say is typically correct, but truly sad.