Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Still no respect from Vegas

After being up to 10 point underdogs against the great Denver Peytons and sending them home after 1 game, the early lines from Vegas show the Ravens:

vs New England - 8 point underdogs
    vs Houston - 3 point underdogs

I think the Ravens shocked a lot of people yesterday, so I expect that line to go down as the week progresses, as people will start taking the Ravens +8 against the Patriots.

Blog Entries

Re: Still no respect from Vegas

Vegas are idiots, they already lost a ton of money in the Denver game.

Blog Entries

Well with Houston they are basically saying it's a wash once you consider the 3pt HFA.

With that in mind NE +8 isn't crazy. Yeah we just upset the odds big time, but where gambling is concerned you still lay out the line based one what you know, and NE are still a very good team, would be at home and Ravens just played a game that went into 2OT. With that said, I fear the Pats less than the Broncos, because the Broncos have a better D.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    No they didn't. They take bets on both sides. The goal is to even them out so don't lose money. That's why the line moves as bets come in. The line isn't about 1 team being that much better than another. It's about getting the same amount of money bet on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No they didn't. They take bets on both sides. The goal is to even them out so don't lose money. That's why the line moves as bets come in. The line isn't about 1 team being that much better than another. It's about getting the same amount of money bet on both sides.
    This.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The line moved to 10 points because the public was pounding Denver. That's what JOhn Eisenberg says in this piece.
    Very interesting on betting. He gets emails from bookies asking him to publicize their lines and got a strongly worded
    email about the Denver pounding.

No, it was the bookies that made money. It was all those Bronco fans that lost money when they didn't win
    much less cover the 10 pt spread.

I got my masters degree in betting during SB 3 when the Colts went up to 17 pt favorite. I knew a lot of money
    was changing hands and it wasnt gonna be mine. I was gonna bet my college tuition on that game til it got to
    17 pts. NObody was that much better and I wised up. Namath said people could have paid their houses off
    betting on the Jets. I'm sure some lost their homes in Bmore.

Bill Pellington made money on the Jets. Word in the bars on the street said he bet $30,000 on the Jerts. His dad owned a bar
    in New YOrk and he was the bouncer as a kid and still had contacts up there. He knew something and bet vs
    his old team when his old boss and owner of the Colts bet on his team.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...7-8e2d114640da
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-13-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Yeah if anything I'd say the books came out well ahead on this one because people wouldn't stop throwing Denver money in their laps, no matter what.

They respond to public perception, and the public perceives the Ravens as a bad offensive team. We see that every week, don't we? Media people, even analysts on NFL network, still talking about how our quarterback Trent Dilfer isn't very good, and how Peter Boulware is a dangerous pass rusher, and how our offense hasn't scored a touchdown in the last five games?

Vegas only respects one team. The house. Different teams win the superbowl but the house wins every year.

No, they don't respond to public perception.

If they respond to anyone's perception, they respond to the people who fork over their money.

The line moves because money goes a certain way, not because of public perception.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

If they respond to anyone's perception, they respond to the people who fork over their money.
    In setting the line, which is what I took the topic of the thread to be, it is entirely based on what they think the public will throw down on, not who they think will win or anything like that. So as far as Vegas "respecting" us, that is irrelevant. Vegas sets the line based on what it sees as the public's (by which I mean the betting public, obviously) perception of the team.

As long as the betting public clings to an ancient narrative about the Ravens, and that narrative influences their betting habits, then of course it has to be factored in when setting the line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

The line moves because money goes a certain way, not because of public perception.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    In setting the line, which is what I took the topic of the thread to be, it is entirely based on what they think the public will throw down on, not who they think will win or anything like that. So as far as Vegas "respecting" us, that is irrelevant. Vegas sets the line based on what it sees as the public's (by which I mean the betting public, obviously) perception of the team.

As long as the betting public clings to an ancient narrative about the Ravens, and that narrative influences their betting habits, then of course it has to be factored in when setting the line.
    Yeah, I think you're both right. setting the line is based of public perception. THe line than moves of the money.

Although, I would not be surprised for Vegas to move the line so people perceive bets are going one way in an attempt to get people to bet the way they move the line.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    They actually won a lot of money because everyone was betting on Denver.