Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: So, has Caldwell earned the OC position?

The only really questionable element of Caldwell's playcalling yesterday was all the early-down running in the 2nd half and OT. You could quibble with why he didn't go with certain formations, etc. more often but that's splitting hairs. I think it is perfectly legitimate to question why they took the air out of the ball on 1st and 2nd down despite playing a tough run defense in a tie game. If it were me, I would have sprinkled some play-action on 1st down--not necessarily bombs off of 7 step drops, but quick PAs to set up a crosser over the middle... just anything to get a chunk play and force the LBs to hesitate as they come up in run fills.

I think the offensive gameplan was REALLY committed to two things: 1) taking deep shots when the defense showed exploitable pre-snaps reads, and 2) staying out of 3rd and long when the deep ball wasn't there, especially after the Denver defense implemented their 2nd half adjustments. Obviously they succeeded in the 1st but you have to give MAJOR credit to the OL for giving Joe time to hit the top of his drop and get the ball out without pressure.

The second is where I think they weren't as successful, but they stuck with it as much as possible. They ran so much because they felt better about 3rd and 5 than risking getting into 3rd and 10. To me, that seems excessively conservative at times and it actually didn't work very well at all. Here are the Ravens 3rd downs in OT: 3rd and 8, 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 13 (after delay of game), 3rd and 3... so you're looking at too many 3rd and long's.

Overall there were things I liked and things I didn't like. Not necessarily sold on Caldwell without considering other options.

Blog Entries

Are we sure that Caldwell will want the job?

Blog Entries
    Regsrdless of whether or not he wants it, Flacco just gave chubbies to several different candidates. The Ravens are probably becoming a very desirable place to come and run an offense.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Regsrdless of whether or not he wants it, Flacco just gave chubbies to several different candidates. The Ravens are probably becoming a very desirable place to come and run an offense.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Excellent use of the word "Chubbies".

And I agree.
    Last edited by Sirdowski; 01-13-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    This.

I think I screamed playaction about 25 -30 times throughout the game.
    I screamed also about the predictable running plays later in the game, but someone pointed out to me yesterday---be patient. Keep giving it to Rice, eventually he will hit a home run, which he eventually did. The runnig plays kept the defense honest, and as previously pointed out, weather and field conditions were somewhat of a factor.

It doesn't matter if we want Caldwell--it matters whether Joe wants him. They are both very low key, with Caldwell being very cerebral. They seem to work well together. In a very short time, I believe he has earned it. I would be very disappointed if Caldwell does not get the job permanently.

Blog Entries

They're screaming about the running plays on the Broncos boards too and they lost. They wanted Manning to pass
    more but he had a terrible rating. Their coach didn't even let him go deep on Reed at the end of regulation due to lack of arm
    strength and was content to go into OT. Manning is finished as a QB just like McNair was when he came here.
    His across the body throw to Corey Graham is something he never did before.

We won with those predictable running plays just like Lombardi always won with the power sweep.

7. Re: So, has Caldwell earned the OC position?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The only really questionable element of Caldwell's playcalling yesterday was all the early-down running in the 2nd half and OT. You could quibble with why he didn't go with certain formations, etc. more often but that's splitting hairs. I think it is perfectly legitimate to question why they took the air out of the ball on 1st and 2nd down despite playing a tough run defense in a tie game. If it were me, I would have sprinkled some play-action on 1st down--not necessarily bombs off of 7 step drops, but quick PAs to set up a crosser over the middle... just anything to get a chunk play and force the LBs to hesitate as they come up in run fills.

I think the offensive gameplan was REALLY committed to two things: 1) taking deep shots when the defense showed exploitable pre-snaps reads, and 2) staying out of 3rd and long when the deep ball wasn't there, especially after the Denver defense implemented their 2nd half adjustments. Obviously they succeeded in the 1st but you have to give MAJOR credit to the OL for giving Joe time to hit the top of his drop and get the ball out without pressure.

The second is where I think they weren't as successful, but they stuck with it as much as possible. They ran so much because they felt better about 3rd and 5 than risking getting into 3rd and 10. To me, that seems excessively conservative at times and it actually didn't work very well at all. Here are the Ravens 3rd downs in OT: 3rd and 8, 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 13 (after delay of game), 3rd and 3... so you're looking at too many 3rd and long's.

Overall there were things I liked and things I didn't like. Not necessarily sold on Caldwell without considering other options.
    :word

I believe time of possession/the defense being gassed were 2 of the main reasons for all those runs though.

Since Cam was fired and Caldwell promoted, Flacco has thrown for 1210 yards, 9 TDs, and 1 INT in 4.15 games (4 games plus 9 minutes of the Cincinnati game).

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Since Cam was fired and Caldwell promoted, Flacco has thrown for 1210 yards, 9 TDs, and 1 INT in 4.15 games (4 games plus 9 minutes of the Cincinnati game).
    This.

Why would you not offer this man the OC Job? What has he done that would cause you concern? Why would you want to disrupt the chemistry that Caldwell has developed with Joe and this offense? Who would this person be? Turner? If yes, why?
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    This.

Why would you not offer this man the OC Job? What has he done that would cause you concern? Why would you want to disrupt the chemistry that Caldwell has developed with Joe and this offense? Who would this person be? Turner? If yes, why?
    Because this is not a significant enough sample size and frankly, he does not have a lot of tape out on him and his play calling.

Look, I think he should be finalist no matter what and I don't think there is anybody who is just flat out against him being the OC at this point.

Common sense to me says that you should open this up and interview some other candidates and see what else is out there...you never know if someone is better equipped to get even more out of Joe and this offense.

The yardage stuff everybody is referencing is great...but you also have to take into account we played over a whole additional quarter.

As for who...I don't know, that's the FO's job. I do know there are a lot of guys out there to pick and choose from...hell, everybody has been talking about how they want us to run plays like the Saints do...their OC is out there right now.

Many players and coaches have put together 5-6-7 game stretches and it's wound up being a mirage. Let's just cover our bases here, that's all I'm saying.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    I for one love Caldwell. He's getting the job done and has a great rapport with flacco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    They're screaming about the running plays on the Broncos boards too and they lost. They wanted Manning to pass
    more but he had a terrible rating. Their coach didn't even let him go deep on Reed at the end of regulation due to lack of arm
    strength and was content to go into OT. Manning is finished as a QB just like McNair was when he came here.
    His across the body throw to Corey Graham is something he never did before.

We won with those predictable running plays just like Lombardi always won with the power sweep.
    The criticism of Fox for being "too conservative" from both Broncos fans and the talking heads has been cracking me up. When Manning went there, the reporting was all about how he was bringing *his* offense to Denver. *He* is the "offensive coordinator." Manning, so we're told, is the smartest quarterback in the history of the game.

Yet, when the ONE quarterback we all know has complete freedom to do what he wants under center is handing the ball off in a playoff loss, it's the head coach's fault...