Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    iggyman555 Guest

Re: So, has Caldwell earned the OC position?

hoping the extra days off help the O and D

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I believe the ultra conservative play calling is a Harbaugh thing. Last year at the beginning of the New England game the offense was ultra conservative. It was almost like they had to fail running the ball before Harbaugh would let him open it up. Same thing in the Chargers game this year. Harbaugh said going into Chargers game that he wanted to make it a physical AFC North game. Going into halftime of Broncos game Harbaugh said that they would be able to run in the second half.

The team won but running Rice up the middle nearly cost them the game. It took "The Bomb" to tie the game.
    The Ravens had 9 first down plays in the 2nd half. 8 of them were runs averaging 2.1 ypc. Only one of the 8 was for more than 3 yards and that was a 4 yard run by pierce. The one pass play on first down was a 17 yard pickup by Boldin.

One thing they did do nicely was running on 2nd and long. It was unexpected and it worked. Of the 8 times running on first down they rushed 7 times on 2nd down as well. Of those 7 times the offense ended up in 3rd and longer than 5.

It think this is more of reflection of Harbaugh than Cam or Caldwell.
    This is a good post and a plausible explanation. I really cannot buy fully into all the early-down running. I get it, and the explanations given were plausible, but it really just didn't work all that well. They ended up in a lot of 3rd and long's, and they weren't mixing in chunk plays here and there to get down the field in between the running.

I can understand if you get into 3rd and long but you've moved the ball 20 or 30 yards to that point. At that point you've got a little rhythm. But it just seems counterproductive to run twice, convert a 3rd and 5+ with a pass, then run 2 more times, have to convert another 3rd down, and over and over again...

You want to sustain drives, and sometimes you have to do that by picking up a chunk off play-action to loosen up the defense or showing them a shotgun look they're not expecting.

How about now?

No, I didn't like all the 1st down runs (or the passing on that one late drive), but there can be no question that he made great adjustments in the 2nd half and owned the Pats' D (and that Belichick guy).

I'm figuring that if they didn't fire Cam over all those opportunities, I don't see how there's any way that the OC job isn't his.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

During halftime I had a feeling all the running on 1st down was to lull the Pats into sleep, then they would start throwing on first down on the second series of the second half. When Joe came out in shotgun, I knew we had 'em right where we wanted

Blog Entries

I was bitching up a storm during the first half but that second half was something else. Attacked like I haven't seen the Ravens offense EVER...EVER! attack a defense. Flacco's numbers since he's taken over speak for themselves. If Caldwell wants the job, it's his. Don't even need to explore other options.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Guys, the point of that first half running is the very basis of what makes the Air Coryell work. You pound it and pound it. Play a close, physical game.

Then, as the game goes on, and linemen are too worn out to pass rush effectively, and the safeties are creeping up in hopes of stopping your power runs, you start lobbing it over the top.

Cam never had the patience or intelligence to do this properly. Jim does. And it not only makes Joe into a deadly fucking sniper when the game is on the line, it maximizes the talents of his two workhorse running backs.

I hope all you AC doubters will embrace the system for what it truly is now that we have a coordinator who can wield it competently. It's a physical, intimidating, powerful offense that is also graceful, high octane, and damn near unstoppable.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Exactly. We said that after Denver game too in re to the run game.

Now, is there still anyone who says Caldwell is just close-lol.

Prob is, he won't be here next year. He will probably be head coach some place after these two games, no matter what happens in NO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Prob is, he won't be here next year. He will probably be head coach some place after these two games, no matter what happens in NO.
    Uhhh, all the HC vacancies are filled.

Unless Mike Smith gets fired.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

No shit, all of them? And how's your math doing now?

So who's the Chicago coach?

At least we keep Caldwell as offensive coord.