Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Re: Jason La Confora: Kruger looking for 9m/year...

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    You're making the false analogy that the money and years for Reed will be the same as they are for Kruger. Obviously, that's nowhere near the case.

Reed is an every down player.

Kruger isn't.

Reed won't command a giant commitment.

Kruger will.

Reed plays a position we're very thin at.

Kruger doesn't.

Like I said, it's my opinion. But I think I'm right.
    Reed signing would probably take up 25-35% of the available salary cap #. Kruger would likely take up 35-45%. Who would you rather keep? If the Ravens even offered Reed a contract, it wouldn't be for more than two years, meaning even less flexibility in terms of structuring the cap allocations.

Blog Entries

Webb isn't moving to safety for the last time, he already said its a stupid idea and he doesn't want to do it.

And IMO Corey Graham has won the starting CB posistion opposite Webb next year, Jimmy Smith will be lucky to beat out Chykie Brown for the 3rd spot.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't agree on Mathieu in the 3rd, though. WAY too high. There's no way any team would even entertain the notion of pursuing him above the 5th and I still think it's about 50/50 if he's drafted at all.
    It's hard to say what will happen with him until after the combine, but I was thinking idealistically that he would even be there by the time we picked late in the 3rd round. Almost every draft publication I've seen has him as a 2nd-4th rounder.

He would totally have to bomb the combine in a Burfict-like fashion to not be drafted. I'd give him a 99% chance of being drafted and probably a 75% chance of going in the first 110-120 picks. I'm convinced that, after what happened with Burfict last year and all the teams kicking themselves for not drafting him, quite a few will be happy to take a chance on a former Heisman finalist oozing with talent. Burfict had a season of so-so on the-field-footage to hold him back in addition to his attitude problems. His game film from his last year before the draft alarmed a lot of teams. Mathieu might not be big in size and might not have played this year, but that won't slow teams down too much. The guy is the best tackling "little guy" that I've ever seen, runs like the win, has insane quickness, and is extremely tough-nosed. He is a perfect fit to cover slot receivers in the NFL. Assuming no combine melt down, if he even reaches the mid-4th round, I'd be shocked.

Blog Entries

And Lol and the people still thinking Kruger isn't an every down player. Just go watch the film, he really has become an every down 3-4 OLB, he's a perfect fit for our system, just stop pretending he's Antwan Barnes, he's twice the player Barnes is. Kruger is an average run stopper, decent coverage guy, and emerging into a top tier pass rusher, he could be a huge signing for us in the future and I don't think you guys realize that. In time, I think he will become a very good runs topper just as many 3-4 OLB's coached in our system have become, we have some great defensive coaches.

5. Re: Jason La Confora: Kruger looking for 9m/year...

To me, Kruger HAS to be a top priority after Flacco. I don't think he's quite worth 9 mil, but I'm hoping we make a tremendous effort in trying to keep him.He has been one of the best players on the team since the second half of the season. I also believe last year is when he started his upswing of good play. I knew he'd be a guy that would take some time to develop. The things that make Kruger a dire need for us to keep IMO is his size, hands when pass rushing, and quickness within his moves that he uses. Not to mention, but Kruger's feisty, he's getting better at setting the edge and dropping back too. I don't know how some of you can say Ellerbe is more important to keep. Ellerbe's another player I'd love to keep and he's played great, but if I have to pick, it's Kruger. We finally have a pass rusher opposite of Suggs, who may I add is only going to get a lot better, and is starting to become more of a full time player. Courtney Upshaw, great edge setter, but are you really going to have confidence with him as a pass rusher? I think he'll get better there, but you can't expect him to do much of anything in that department next season. I'm a big fan of Upshaw, as well as Hamilton, but you can't depend on these guys to produce. So do you go draft yet another pass rusher early in the draft? We have other needs too. Pass rushers are really hard to find, we must find a way to keep Paul in black and purple. He's an impact player.

As for Ellerbe, I'd love to keep him, but his health has to be a concern IMHO. He hasn't seemed to put together too many healthy seasons since he was a rookie. If we can find a way to keep he and Kruger it'd be awesome. If we can't though, like I said, I'm picking Kruger. We will be drafting an ILB early either way IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    And Lol and the people still thinking Kruger isn't an every down player. Just go watch the film, he really has become an every down 3-4 OLB, he's a perfect fit for our system, just stop pretending he's Antwan Barnes, he's twice the player Barnes is. Kruger is an average run stopper, decent coverage guy, and emerging into a top tier pass rusher, he could be a huge signing for us in the future and I don't think you guys realize that. In time, I think he will become a very good runs topper just as many 3-4 OLB's coached in our system have become, we have some great defensive coaches.
    Kruger played well in run defense on Saturday too. He is an every down player in my estimation.

You dont let pass rushers go, they are hard to find and develop. He is in his prime. I expect they try to keep him. He is an everydown play without a doubt. He is probably our best player in the front 7 right now.

The whole Kruger thing is pretty simple. If they get Joe inked to a long term deal IMO then Kruger becomes then next priority. Ozzie and company will have financial parameters that they will be willing to go to and I expect that they will stick relatively close to that. Unfortunately there will be team who have much more cap room than the Ravens and if they happen to want Kruger he is gone...period the end. The Ravens can only go so far, they cannot put themselves in cap hell simply to retain Paul Kruger.

Smart NFL franchises that are successful year in and year out like the Ravens, Pats, etc do not overspend on players that it is not essential to overspend on. Obviously a position like QB or a talent like Suggs, Ngata etc is going to cost a premium. However as nice as Kruger is turning out I would argue he is not anywhere near that level of talent at this point on a consistent basis.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He sure as hell wasn't an very down player until Suggs came back

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    You dont let pass rushers go, they are hard to find and develop. He is in his prime. I expect they try to keep him. He is an everydown play without a doubt. He is probably our best player in the front 7 right now.
    I trust Ozzie and Harbaugh will try to keep Kruger. He may price himself out of the team's price range due to the salary cap situation, but if they put a competitive offer on table then you know they think highly of him and believe he is legit and will continue to be a force. The team has a history of trying to keep guys they feel strongly about.

Kruger and a strong pass rush can help the situation at secondary next season, particularly at the beginning of next season where Webb may not be fully recovered yet and a new FS may still be inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    The NFL already assigned the Ravens 4 comp picks (league maximum) but rounds to be determined.
    No, they haven't been awarded yet. That won't happen until early April.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I was under the impression that all the UFAs signed and lost for the Ravens would figure in the net equation, even if that player became IRd or was later cut. If that was true then by my count they signed seven UFAs and lost eight for a net of one. But it would make sense that the players who didn't stick (Blackstock, Wragge, and McBean) don't count in the net equation, and so therefore the net is four (which is the maximum).
    Actually, McBean was also a "street" FA because he was released by Denver.

Otherwise, you are correct that the players later released by the Ravens wouldn't "qualify" for Comp picks, but there is one more distinction at play. A FA signed after June 1, even a UFA, doesn't count toward the Comp pick calculations, unless his prior team offered him a June 1 qualifying tender - which really never happens). So, that would also remove guys like Blackstock, Bajema and Wragge from consideration.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 01-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap