Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Breaking Tradition

A couple of weeks ago Flacco said he was confident a deal would be struck. I have no reason to think they won't get it done. Really, the F.O. has little choice but to get it done.

Kruger frustrates me. While on his rookie contract he produces right at the end of it to demand a big contract. He's on NFL network today saying he wants to stay with the Ravens, we'll see. I'm afraid Jimmy Smith could end up following Kruger. Production from rookie contracts are cap friendly value. Our high round draft picks need to be productive early in their careers. Lower profile and cap friendly veteran free agents need to be mixed in there too. The Patriots seem to be able to find cap friendly production year after year keeping them on top. As much as I like Ray Rice, his high salary makes it difficult to obtain value year after year at his position. Right now there's just too many high profile players with big contracts and declining skills. Most I would like to keep but it's not possible. Several veterans will have to go or swallow their pride and take a smaller contract.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Kruger frustrates me. While on his rookie contract he produces right at the end of it to demand a big contract. He's on NFL network today saying he wants to stay with the Ravens, we'll see. I'm afraid Jimmy Smith could end up following Kruger. Production from rookie contracts are cap friendly value. Our high round draft picks need to be productive early in their careers. Lower profile and cap friendly veteran free agents need to be mixed in there too. The Patriots seem to be able to find cap friendly production year after year keeping them on top. As much as I like Ray Rice, his high salary makes it difficult to obtain value year after year at his position. Right now there's just too many high profile players with big contracts and declining skills. Most I would like to keep but it's not possible. Several veterans will have to go or swallow their pride and take a smaller contract.
    LOL, it's not like Kruger just decided to suck until his final year. Guy really hadn't gotten the big opportunity until JJ left.

In any case, I have to wonder if some of the figures being thrown around aren't a bit of overvaluing by fans. Other teams might notice that contract year bump in production and temper their offer, either less years or more incentive based pay. In any case, I remember a few years ago, we all thought Yanda was a goner in free agency, as the Redskins all but showed up at his house with potato sacks full of cash. But in the end, the Ravens were able to offer a competitive enough deal to stay. If he goes, I'm sure we re-sign Grubbs, but can you imagine losing Yanda? No way we have our 5 year streak going.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I've always wanted more from Kruger...in 2011 and in 2012 up until the quarter-mark; and he has finally delivered.
    I thought he was soft and slow, but he's proved me wrong. Well...he's still a little lead-footed for my taste, but he's quickened up quite a bit. I would love for him to come back, b/c him and McPhee could be lethal together.

However, Joe's deal aside, my #1 priority since the PHI game has been to fix the T position...and until I'm convinced that will "only" cost us draft picks and not $$$ then I can't support a Kruger re-signing.

We'll see what the FO does.