Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Football Gameplan's 2013 AFC Divisional Preview - Ravens vs Den

Thanks Gang!! You guys are making some very good points! How do you guys feel about an increase role for Bernard Pierce this week?

I think Bernard Pierce with an increased role would be huge for this game since he's such an explosive run outside the tackles. A few 10-15 yard gains could loosen up those corners not named Champ Bailey and really open up play action/double moves.

Blog Entries

Why can't they put both Pierce and Rice in the backfield and rotate one presnap to the WR position to clear out a LB? Wouldn't that help open the middle of the field?

No 15 yard penalties are a must. Tackle instead of the big hit and keep a cool head.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    Why can't they put both Pierce and Rice in the backfield and rotate one presnap to the WR position to clear out a LB? Wouldn't that help open the middle of the field?
    I have advocated for this personnel package for a long time. Pierce and Rice lined up in a split back formation represents major problems for the defense. They have to defend the sweep and draw to both sides of the field as well as account for both of them catching passes. Out of the base defense that puts at least one if not both of them up against LBs in man coverage and that's when you automatic to splitting Rice out wide. If the defense responds with the nickel then you just run the ball into a light box.

They could also consider a full-house backfield with Leach, Pierce, and Rice all lined up behind center. In that formation I'd take Pitta off the field, which obviously removes a bit of receiving threat, but you gain a better run and pass blocker in Leach.

The Ravens could stand to work on expanding the diversity of their formations and personnel packages... they don't seem to show a lot of unorthodox looks.

Great video. I agree about the Broncos speed, and how it will disrupt the Ravens offense. We saw this in the past with Ravens vs Colts matchups. The Ravens just have not been built to deal with quick, small defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    We are also looking at Von Miller against Oher. We need to have some help on Oher's side to deal with Miller.
    Two tight end set and Leach on that side. Teams will try to limit turnovers and be in max protect. Denver has Oline problems as well. Kuper and Clady will play but both gaming it. I dont expect many points from either team, this will be old school football game. Kicking will be the difference and special teams usually are in bad weather games usually.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Great video. I agree about the Broncos speed, and how it will disrupt the Ravens offense. We saw this in the past with Ravens vs Colts matchups. The Ravens just have not been built to deal with quick, small defenses.
    Thier weakness is up the middle at DT and S. Very fast on edges soft in the middle.