Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Jimmy Smith - How to get value from that 1st pick

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    you read the cary williams piece, its all on piss Pees, that's how he plays, bend but don't break, the more I see it Ed Reed is a liability now so they have to play that way paired with the play calling. Our corners are just about as big as seattles corners we should be in press coverage all day on wideouts, it worked with Chuck and we had the same set of DBs. Pees needs to be gone i haven't changed that song and I won't.
    Agreed with this... it's a combination of Pees' coverages (which I don't like at all) and the fact that they can't really trust Ed Reed to cover over the top anymore. Ed used to be able to gamble, get beat, and then still get back in position cuz he was so fast and had such good instincts. Well, now his body just can't do that anymore. Seattle has basically a young Ed Reed in Earl Thomas... they stick him in the back end and let him cover over the top on both sides and he can do it and get away with it.

I don't think Ed was really all that good last year either IMO... we just had a better pass rush that protected him from getting burned deep (yet it still happened in a couple games). I think Ed is too proud to change his play style, he's not gonna stop gambling, and nowadays that means more big plays given up than big INTs. We need to get younger and more disciplined at free safety next year, and hopefully get a coordinator in here that can design some better, more aggressive coverages

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBALL View Post
    Actually, he isn't a press CB. He has been quoted as saying he doesn't like tp play that style. I think we see his physical gifts ( tall, strong, fast enough ) and think he should be a press CB. I think ultimately for him to succeed in this league he will have to adapt to being a press CB. Can he do that? well, hopefully the injuries will stop and we can find out.
    This can't be true because I've watched the 1 winning drive videos and one of those videos had him asking his DB coach if he could start pressing.

Never mind. I just saw the previous posts addressing this:)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBALL View Post
    JAB

I cannot remember where I read it, thought it may actually have been in the Sun. I was a bit surprised by it as well. To further confuse it, I thought it may have said he didn't play that coverage much in college? I didn't watch him in college, so I can't comment on that. I'll defer to you on that sir! Bottom line is - he needs to be playing a lot of press IMO!

Just saw Nest's post - guess that is where i heard it!
    Jimmy played press a lot at CU.

Blog Entries

I'm giving Jimmy one more year. I remember Lardarius was picked in 2009, and was looking more promising as a return guy than a CB, until he tore his ACL. In 2010, he was okay, but I mainly remember the big completion to Antonio Brown (who at the time was a nobody in our minds) in the playoffs, over Webb. 2011 was his breakout year...

So, in my mind, I'm giving Jimmy another year to heal up and show the maturation. If it's not there, I'll label him a bust. But maybe...just maybe...he finally gets it. He's been injured for just about half his career in a sense (Early injury in 2011, came back towards end of the year...Got injured shortly after Webb went out this year).
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'm giving Jimmy one more year. I remember Lardarius was picked in 2009, and was looking more promising as a return guy than a CB, until he tore his ACL. In 2010, he was okay, but I mainly remember the big completion to Antonio Brown (who at the time was a nobody in our minds) in the playoffs, over Webb. 2011 was his breakout year...

So, in my mind, I'm giving Jimmy another year to heal up and show the maturation. If it's not there, I'll label him a bust. But maybe...just maybe...he finally gets it. He's been injured for just about half his career in a sense (Early injury in 2011, came back towards end of the year...Got injured shortly after Webb went out this year).
    That's where I'm at. People also forget Jimmy had a huge INT in the playoffs last year against the Patriots. I think he'll be fine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    That's where I'm at. People also forget Jimmy had a huge INT in the playoffs last year against the Patriots. I think he'll be fine.
    Devil's advocate, that INT doesn't happen without Mr. Bernard Pollard tipping the ball in the air...

But yeah, I'm not Sergio Kindling him yet.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Devil's advocate, that INT doesn't happen without Mr. Bernard Pollard tipping the ball in the air...

But yeah, I'm not Sergio Kindling him yet.
    He still had the awareness and hands to get it and return it back for 30 some yards.

I just don't think he's been 100% with the hernia. Those kind of injuries can really hamper db's.

Blog Entries

Ravens got their value out of him today with one of the biggest plays of the game.

Holiday fields the punt and cuts to his left and Jimmy makes a great open field tackle on their 7.

That set up the big interception that led to the winning FG.

That's all his did but that was Jimmy's biggest game of his career.

Thanks you Jimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Ravens got their value out of him today.

Holiday fields the punt and cuts to his left and Jimmy makes a great open field tackle on their 7.

Thanks you Jimmy.
    +1 hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Ravens got their value out of him today with one of the biggest plays of the game.

Thanks you Jimmy.
    Agree in spades - great open field tackle.