Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Football Gameplan's 2013 AFC Divisional Preview - Ravens vs Den

Good morning Ravens fans! Good luck this week!

Em

Blog Entries

Re: Football Gameplan's 2013 AFC Divisional Preview - Ravens vs Den

I think the gameplan comes down to the middle.

On defense, the Ravens need to get pressure up the middle (looking at YOU #92). Peyton is so good at avoiding sacks, I don't even think edge pressure will impact him that much. We need to blow plays up from the middle, so Peyton can't step up in the pocket and has no time to process the field.

On offense, the Ravens needs to attack the middle of the field. I agree with the video in the importance of our TEs. I would like to see Dickson be more involved (if he can hold onto the ball...). Obviously we need to establish the run game as best we can. I think a 60:40 split of Rice to Pierce might be nice. I don't think the long sideline bombs from last game against the Colts make sense in this game. We need to keep Manning off the field and on the cold bench.

My concerns are the Raven's run D. We have been less than spectacular all year. Ballard rushed for 91 yards, and he is nothing special. I don't really think Moreno is anything special either, but he had success last game. The Ravens really haven't shut down the run game this year. Which in part has led to the inability to get off the field and giving up long drives, even if they only end up with a FG. Bend but don't break is great, but not when you are getting trounced in time of possession. Our Defense can't afford to be on the field all day.

I think Joe has what it takes to score what we need to score so long as he gets time. I think the continued use of the mobile pocket Caldwell has installed will be crucial. His pick 6 last game was an anomaly IMO. He really doesn't have a history of crucial RZ turnovers.
    Last edited by bt12483; 01-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Blog Entries

On D, I think the key is stopping the run actually. Temperature for this game is critical. Game time temp will be in the TEENS! That makes the ball as hard like a rock. Going to probably be a bit more of a ground game. The Ravens just faced a pretty average rushing team with a somewhat banged up OL, and they were GASHING us. Moreno is a hot hand this year, and Denver has a better OL. If we can stop the run, it'll force Manning to throw in terrible passing weather.

On offense, keep the ball moving! We've got a great ground game (say that 5 times fast!), and we NEED to pickup the downs. When they start keying on the run, HIT THE TEs. Don't even try to put the deep passes in, look for the quick, 7-10 yd patterns
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

It sucks because the deep ball is kind of our thing and I don't think this game really calls for that.

Caldwell needs to have a knock-out plan to attack this defense.

Bailey is probably going to delete either Torrey or Boldin, so we will most likely effectively be down a WR. Which makes the TEs in the middle of the field so much more important. Get the ball out quick and negate Miller and Dumervil as best possible.

Blog Entries

We are also looking at Von Miller against Oher. We need to have some help on Oher's side to deal with Miller.

Blog Entries

Also, in retrospect, that first game vs. Denver was set up for disaster. The only thing we had going for us was home field, which can quickly evaporate.

We were missing Ellerbe and Pollard, two of our leading tacklers, not too mention Ray Lewis. Ellerbe was doing a good job filling in for Lewis, but not having Ellerbe really helped Moreno have success.

We were already coming off a disappointing 2 game losing streak, and just fired our OFF COOR.

Oh and we were missing our best OL in Yanda.

Even without the pick 6, we had an uphill battle. Maybe if we were facing a lesser opponent, we could have made up for these shortcomings, but not against a quality opponent like Denver.

I expect a much different game this time around.

Blog Entries

Oh and another concern - our tackling.

All year long it seems we've struggled to tackle. We get good first contact and the guy slips out.

That can't happen. I don't expect it to be corrected at this point (such a fundamental thing too). We blew tons of tackles last week vs. Indy to keep their drives alive.

But we need to be better in this area. Minimize error as much as possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    We are also looking at Von Miller against Oher. We need to have some help on Oher's side to deal with Miller.
    Wouldn't Von be going against McKinnie at LT? Was pretty sure it was Oher vs Von last time, with Oher at LT.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

On defense... LBs and secondary need to MAKE EVERY SINGLE TACKLE they have position to make, but DON'T get out of position. The Broncos' passing game relies on short patterns from the WRs with lots of YAC that set up double moves down the field. We need to make the tackles on those short routes for minimal gains, and stay in position to avoid getting beat by the double moves.

Mix coverages to prevent Manning from getting looks that he likes, and see the routes as they develop. This could be the biggest game of Ed Reed's career. He'll cement a HOF legacy if he secures a win with a pick or two on Saturday. The DL is also going to need to have a career game to control the run with just the front 4 so the LBs can stay clean and play east west instead of just north south.

On offense... they need to control Von Miller. I would go 2TE most of the game, line Dickson up over top of Miller and chip him on every passing play. Chip blocks are going to be key as the backs and TEs are going to need to help the tackles A LOT. The Broncos don't really get a lot of interior pressure on the passer, but they're good in their run fills up the middle, so the interior line and Leach are going to need to have career days moving them around.

The TEs working against Denver's LBs in the middle of the field are going to be key. Honestly, their only weak link in coverage is Keith Brooking, so they need to attack him with seam and crossing routes whenever he's in the game. If Denver goes to the nickel and takes Brooking off the field run the football out of your 2TE and spread sets.

The Broncos' CBs are just too good for the Ravens to win 1 on 1 matchups, so this is a game where they need to take a page out of Bruce Arians' playbook: picks, rubs, and stack formations on the outside to get a free release. Torrey getting clean off the line is going to be key. I don't think the Ravens win unless they can scheme a way to get Torrey running free deep downfield.

And on STs... Jacoby Jones is going to need to consistently give them good field position, and breaking a long one wouldn't hurt at all. Trindon Holliday has to be contained as well, you can't give Manning short fields to work with. Oh, and no turnovers for the offense while the defense needs to pick up a few.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Wouldn't Von be going against McKinnie at LT? Was pretty sure it was Oher vs Von last time, with Oher at LT.
    No Von lines up on the left side of the defense which is against the RT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Em - nice job as always. I'm holding out hope that the Ravens offense can make enough plays to survive but your key points are pretty solid.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Good points. This game may be won in the trenches. On offense, our new look offensive line will be a key. If we can run with some success that will help offset the best pass rush in the league. They'll take shots downfield like they have all year. Torrey in a dead sprint one on one with a safety biting on play action is something that could open up with running success. Also, I liked the double moves Boldin used last week in the second half when it was obvious they were sitting on the short routes. He's not fast but was able to get more separation then I've seen throughout the year. Is that Caldwell making adjustments?

The Broncos running backs don't scare me as much as our porous run defense. As others have said his is my biggest concern too. The defensive line has to play better to win. Keep them 2nd and long and get them off of the field. If they run effectively, it will be a long day. Since Manning doesn't usually hold the ball for long in the pocket I agree with mixing in some blitz pressure up the middle to try and disrupt him. Manning comfortable in the pocket is accurate and scary. We need some pressure and hopefully hits on him.

Big plays and turnovers I believe will impact the game just like the pick 6 did last time. This game can be competitive and with a few friendly breaks, within reach. We are built to play outdoors in the AFCN so this is the kind of game we've played many times in the cold. Denver plays outside too, but I'm hopeful the cold remains Manning's Kryptonite.