Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RGIII Knee Injury

For those living under a rock ... RGIII originally sprained his right LCL back when he played the Ravens.

Heading into the wild card game, the knee wasn't fully healed and RGIII was still wearing a brace. He aggravated the injury early on in the game, but he basically told Shanahan that he could play through it.

I didn't get to watch the game, but from what I've heard he was a liability to the team after that, and the knee clearly wasn't OK. Seems like everyone agrees he should have been pulled from the game, but he wasn't.

Later in the game when he was chasing after a bad snap the knee gave out and RGIII was unable to return.

For everyone somewhat up to speed on the RGIII knee injury ...
    According to ESPN he may have partial tears in his ACL and LCL in his right knee. Here's a link to the NFC East Blog where Graziano consults Stephania Bell (ESPNs injury expert) on the injury. There's some good stuff here.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...stephania-bell

Basically they need to take a closer look to fully understand the damage, but there could potentially be issues with cartilage as well. Surgically repairing a ligament tear, if necessary, would be complicated by the fact that the ACL in that knee was already surgically repaired. While an ACL or LCL can potentially be nursed back to full strength, cartilage issues can effect the longevity of the knee.

RGIII's an exciting player, so I hope he's back in action next season, but there seems to have been a serious error in judgement to let him play.

I know players are supposed to want to go back in the game, and frankly RGIII is still pretty young so I have to imagine the near hero-worship he's gotten in DC has emboldened him a bit. He may be mature for his age, but any young man in that environment will believe he's capable of nearly anything.

Long story short, it needs to fall on the head coach to be the voice of reason. Not only was his franchise quarterback's health at risk, but it wasn't even what was best for the team in the short term.

I don't think I'm saying anything novel here, but I'm interested to hear what others think.

I think there may be some more news today on the injury.

Blog Entries

Re: RGIII Knee Injury

Michael Wilbon, in my opinion, made a great point. In listening to the PTI podcast, he referred to the playoff game between the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears, where Jay Cutler left the game early, due to injury. Some of us will remember that Jay Cutler was roasted, not only by the media, but by Bears fans and even criticized by his teammates for not coming back into the game. Michael Wilbon's point was that you can't have it both ways, as fans.

Jackie MacMullen also made a good point, in that this would not have the same perception if Washington had won. For example, had Seattle not shown the resiliency they did and lost that game, Robert Griffin III would be heralded for his toughness and Mike Shanahan would likely be credited for supporting Griffin.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I highly doubt that RGIII would have been roasted by the media and fans. Jay Cutler, fair or not, seems to be a lighting rod for controversy and criticism. RGIII, fair or not, still walks on water.

Like I said, I didn't watch the game, but I've heard people almost unanimously express that RGIII not only endangered his health by playing, but actually held the team back.

When your in the playoffs it's about surviving to the next game. If a player is becoming a liability because of injury you need to pull them out. Maybe Shanahan didn't know that RGIII was in significant danger of worsening the injury, but how can he not tell that his offense is being hampered by an injured quarterback?

and that fact that the field was horrible....
    It contributed to the injury!
    Both teams lost someone due to their crappy field!!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ht-foot-in-pu/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ps-fedex-turf/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ahawks-injury/

Rg3 should have been replaced after he display slow running in the first QTR. His inability to get any drives going after a kickoff result in giving seattle good field position after going 3 and out. Shanahan gave that game to seattle because RG3 was in bad shape and couldn't throw accurate or scramble anymore.Cousins would have sustained some drives and possibly resulted in at least 3 points.Poor coaching decision and now potentially a career ending injury. Bet Snyder isn't happy at all. now he has to pay RG3 next year for either sitting on the bench or being IRd.
    If the NFL gives fines for helmet to helmet or unsportsman like actions, shanahan or redskins should be fined for gross misconduct letting RG3 stay on the feild.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    If the NFL gives fines for helmet to helmet or unsportsman like actions, shanahan or redskins should be fined for gross misconduct letting RG3 stay on the feild.
    Right on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Rg3 should have been replaced after he display slow running in the first QTR. His inability to get any drives going after a kickoff result in giving seattle good field position after going 3 and out. Shanahan gave that game to seattle because RG3 was in bad shape and couldn't throw accurate or scramble anymore.Cousins would have sustained some drives and possibly resulted in at least 3 points.Poor coaching decision and now potentially a career ending injury. Bet Snyder isn't happy at all. now he has to pay RG3 next year for either sitting on the bench or being IRd.
    Shanny said the only reason he let him out there was two different doctors on the sidelines gave him the green light.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Shanny said the only reason he let him out there was two different doctors on the sidelines gave him the green light.
    I'm not sure about that one.

Everything I've seen was that it was RG3 that told Shanny he was hurt but good to go. They only have one doctor on the sideline, James Andrews, and he didn't get to evaluate RG3 during the game.

If we're going to assign blame, I have to put it on RG3. He was stubborn when he was at Baylor and he's stubborn now. He should have known he was as bad as he was and had an obligation to tell the coaches he was not good. But even still, I have a hard time calling that "blame". It's that drive that makes them stars in the first place.

I agree the field is a large liability as well. Teams that don't use FieldTurf or some other modern synthetic run this risk. The majority of High School teams here in Texas (where high school football is a HUGE deal) have replaced their natural turf with synthetic and they've seen a huge reduction in injuries. It only makes sense at the pro level, where the speed and collision is ten fold.

http://districtsportspage.com/mike-s...3-update/13334

Listen to part 1.

I'm going directly off what shanahan said at his press conference. Either they took what Dr. Andrews said out of context or someone's lying.

In any event the media is making a controversy out of nothing because they lost, as far as I'm concerned.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

There was a similar disconnect when we played them. Someone's covering their tail.

Ether way, if Shanahan knew RGIII was at risk to worsen the knee he shouldn't have sent him back out.

If he didn't know, fine, but as an NFL coach he should know when an injured QB is hampering his offense. RGIII should have been pulled as soon as that was apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    http://districtsportspage.com/mike-s...3-update/13334

Listen to part 1.

I'm going directly off what shanahan said at his press conference. Either they took what Dr. Andrews said out of context or someone's lying.

In any event the media is making a controversy out of nothing because they lost, as far as I'm concerned.
    Shanny has been lying to the press since his Denver days so I am going with lying.

But I agree with your final analysis. It's such an on the fly decision, it's hard to blame anyone really. And the press loves making a tempest in a teapot.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 01-09-2013 at 01:23 PM.

it gets worse...
    its his acl...
    I noticed that it hasnt been stated on the washington post yet.
    and I read somewhere that one of the Dr's says that he didnt have a chance to examine him during the game...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-on-right-knee

DC cant catch a break!?!!!