Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 76
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,872
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!



    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The reason is because so many are desperate to justify what Joe has done. They need to convince themselves about how good he is.

    Mista T put it best. Joe Flacco is the best Baltimore QB since Bert Jones. Jones wasn't Unitas but he was pretty damn good when healthy. No one feels they have to defend Bert's reputation or place in history. Why can't they just do that with Flacco?
    Frankly, I agree with you. I couldn't care less about what the national perspective is on Joe Flacco. I mean, PFT had a write up on the Ravens/Colts game this past weekend and the first line was something along the lines of "despite Flacco...yadda yadda yadda...Rice's long run bailed Joe out...yadda yadda yadda". Now, just looking at the numbers one probably WOULD come away with that mentality, but if you actually watched the game and saw Flacco hit Doss in the end zone twice and Doss dropped both passes, then you kind of come away with a different perspective (at least for that game).

    I hate comparing Joe - or any QB - to any other QB in the NFL, because while that position garners the most attention, it is arguably the most dependent on other players. Every team has strengths and weaknesses and more often than not, the QB's overall productive and effectiveness is predicated on those strengths and weaknesses.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,872
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Because there is an equal contingent of fans that minimize and debase everything he has contributed to the success of this team?

    And as such there is a constant tug and pull between people that think he is largely worthless and nothing special (merely "along for the ride") and those that actually see he has contributed greatly to this teams success.
    Because he is an easy target and based on a lot of the posts from members on here, I would surmise that a majority of them have never played outside of a video game or maybe rec/flag football.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,162
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    And you honestly think this is going to change their minds? There are 2 ways that a quarterback earns respect. They either put up great stats, go to the Pro Bowl, win the MVP, etc.... or they win the Super Bowl.
    False. No one respects Dilfer or Brad Johnson.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,162
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Because he is an easy target and based on a lot of the posts from members on here, I would surmise that a majority of them have never played outside of a video game or maybe rec/flag football.
    You mean people don't know that Drew Brees wasn't throwing 40 TD's per year every year of his career?

    I've had this argument on other boards - look up the first 5 years of any "elite" QB...they don't look so elite.

    It seems that after year 5 is when things really start to come together.




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Well, neither did Joe either. He started his rookie season by default.

    Not a slam on Joe. Just making a small correction.
    However he made it on the field, the team won with him under center.

    And continued to win at a pace no team has won during a QB's first five years in the NFL.




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,040
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Frankly, I agree with you. I couldn't care less about what the national perspective is on Joe Flacco. I mean, PFT had a write up on the Ravens/Colts game this past weekend and the first line was something along the lines of "despite Flacco...yadda yadda yadda...Rice's long run bailed Joe out...yadda yadda yadda". Now, just looking at the numbers one probably WOULD come away with that mentality, but if you actually watched the game and saw Flacco hit Doss in the end zone twice and Doss dropped both passes, then you kind of come away with a different perspective (at least for that game).

    I hate comparing Joe - or any QB - to any other QB in the NFL, because while that position garners the most attention, it is arguably the most dependent on other players. Every team has strengths and weaknesses and more often than not, the QB's overall productive and effectiveness is predicated on those strengths and weaknesses.
    The problem is the money. Quarterbacks cost so much that they have to be the center of attention for any team. The rules have made them critical. Flacco is going to be the QB for the Ravens for the next 5 to 6 years even if he's franchised this year. He absolutely has the talent to win a Super Bowl. At that point the negativity and nonsense goes away. Until then though no one is going to change their mind. The haters are going to keep hating.

    Yahoo had a story about Ray's final home game hit their front page. It was a really nice piece about everything he has meant to the team and the city. 9 out of 10 comments on the story were either knife jokes or saying he should be in prison and everything else we read before. Some people just love to hate and there is no point trying to change them because they never will change.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,162
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    This team has never been as stable as it has with Joe at QB.

    Even in a down year for our defense, we still won the division and yet again won another home playoff game.

    This year in particular should speak volumes for what Joe has contributed...we played a substantial part of the season without many of our top defensive starters, yet still are in line to get to the SB. That doesn't happen with just any QB.




  8. #38

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Hey Eeyore, this is an impressive stat. If you want to argue with Giants fans, go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

    You made your point, you urinated in the cereal, now go argue with Steelers fans if that's what you like to do. If that's not what you like to do, then pat yourself on the back for peeing in our breakfast and get on with your day.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The reason is because so many are desperate to justify what Joe has done. They need to convince themselves about how good he is.
    That is, to put it bluntly, complete bullshit. I haven't seen ANYBODY write or speak as if they're trying to convince themselves how good he is. I have seen more than a few dismissive, football-IQ-challenged folks who babble in buzzwords like "deer in the headlights","Average Joe," and (lately) "inconsistent," and I've seen folks (including myself) challenge them on that.

    He's not elite, whatever that means. I watched one of the acknowledged "elite" QB's in the league toss a perfect pass to Lardarius Webb last year in the AFCCG, and then put one out of reach of one of the league's most consistent receivers in the Super Bowl. While winning the first game doubtless helped to mute any criticism he might have faced for his performance in the AFCCG he, Brady acknowledged "sucked," the only criticism I've heard on the SB play is directed at Welker. It is, after all, his fault he's not the same height as Randy Moss.

    Brady is a great QB. He's made some amazing plays throughout his career, and he's earned a layer of teflon when it comes to criticism. Flacco is a good QB. He's made some great plays in his career, and while it's certainly fair and reasonable to criticize him when warranted, the criticism of the Flacco Bashers isn't fair or reasonable. It's mostly just ignorant.

    He doesn't stretch the field (when he had Mason, Boldin, Houshmanzadeh, and Heap as his four primary receivers). He dumps the ball off too quickly to Rice. He holds the ball too long. He has happy feet. He gets rattled to quick. He has no sense of urgency. He stands immobile in the pocket. He has no emotion. He isn't yelling at his teammates. He's not studying still shots of the game when the camera pans to him on the sideline. He throws too many deep passes. He doesn't check down to Rice enough.

    And on and on and on...




  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    677

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    And you honestly think this is going to change their minds? There are 2 ways that a quarterback earns respect. They either put up great stats, go to the Pro Bowl, win the MVP, etc.... or they win the Super Bowl. All the other feel good stuff doesn't change anything.

    Philip Rivers has been to 4 Pro Bowls and has a career QB rating of 94.5 which is 5th best of any active player. So if a Chargers fan starts bringing up those awards and accomplishments is anyone going to decide that Rivers is a top QB? The guy suggesting that would sound pretty desperate
    The fuck does Brady or that crybaby Rivers have to do with this? You sound ridiculously stupid. Fix that.




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,126
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    That is, to put it bluntly, complete bullshit. I haven't seen ANYBODY write or speak as if they're trying to convince themselves how good he is. I have seen more than a few dismissive, football-IQ-challenged folks who babble in buzzwords like "deer in the headlights","Average Joe," and (lately) "inconsistent," and I've seen folks (including myself) challenge them on that.

    He's not elite, whatever that means. I watched one of the acknowledged "elite" QB's in the league toss a perfect pass to Lardarius Webb last year in the AFCCG, and then put one out of reach of one of the league's most consistent receivers in the Super Bowl. While winning the first game doubtless helped to mute any criticism he might have faced for his performance in the AFCCG he, Brady acknowledged "sucked," the only criticism I've heard on the SB play is directed at Welker. It is, after all, his fault he's not the same height as Randy Moss.

    Brady is a great QB. He's made some amazing plays throughout his career, and he's earned a layer of teflon when it comes to criticism. Flacco is a good QB. He's made some great plays in his career, and while it's certainly fair and reasonable to criticize him when warranted, the criticism of the Flacco Bashers isn't fair or reasonable. It's mostly just ignorant.

    He doesn't stretch the field (when he had Mason, Boldin, Houshmanzadeh, and Heap as his four primary receivers). He dumps the ball off too quickly to Rice. He holds the ball too long. He has happy feet. He gets rattled to quick. He has no sense of urgency. He stands immobile in the pocket. He has no emotion. He isn't yelling at his teammates. He's not studying still shots of the game when the camera pans to him on the sideline. He throws too many deep passes. He doesn't check down to Rice enough.

    And on and on and on...
    Just sticky this post




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bel Air, MD
    Posts
    816

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    But, we'll all cheer Joe because Brady doesn't count based on how this feel good stat is counted. When you are looking are the real elite players you don't have to justify their greatness with bullshit stats slanted to make them look good. Joe Flacco is a good QB but winning this many games in that time frame does not put him up there with the greats. Go bring this up to a Pats, Steelers or Giants fan as a reason why Joe belongs with their QBs and prepare to get laughed out of the building.
    Note GOTA, that those 3 teams you mentioned have QBs that have won a Super Bowl. If Joe got a ring, would you then automatically say that that the 60 wins in his first 5 years is a valuable stat? If so, that is absolute crap, because you have QBs in the HoF without a ring who are highly regarded with their play and stats. (i.e. Dan Marino).
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis




  13. #43

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yeah because Weis has shown to be such a genius
    You're right, Weis wasn't a genius.
    But you don't need to be a genius to be much better than Cam these last 2 seasons.

    Under Weis, the Patriots passing AND running game was consistently top 10.
    Under Cam our passing game was always mediocre and our running game dropped into the 20s this season. With Rice, Pierce & Leach all healthy, that is inexcusable.
    Cam was OK his first 3 seasons here, but the last 2 were a disaster.




  14. #44

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    And you honestly think this is going to change their minds? There are 2 ways that a quarterback earns respect. They either put up great stats, go to the Pro Bowl, win the MVP, etc.... or they win the Super Bowl. All the other feel good stuff doesn't change anything.

    Philip Rivers has been to 4 Pro Bowls and has a career QB rating of 94.5 which is 5th best of any active player. So if a Chargers fan starts bringing up those awards and accomplishments is anyone going to decide that Rivers is a top QB? The guy suggesting that would sound pretty desperate
    This thread was about Joe's accomplishments but you decided to hijack it and discount it by throwing around Tom Brady's name. I could care less what the national folks think but do pay attention to what our own fan base thinks.




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,040
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    This thread was about Joe's accomplishments but you decided to hijack it and discount it by throwing around Tom Brady's name. I could care less what the national folks think but do pay attention to what our own fan base thinks.
    So for our fanbase it's either Saint Joe or Joe sucks? There can't be anything else?
    He Who Dares.....Wins




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland