Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. AFC Divisional Round Scheduling

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the Patriots-Texans are playing on Sunday instead of us? Houston essentially gets two more days of rest than us as a result. As far as I know, the dates and times of each game were TBD until yesterday. Is this a case of the NFL wanting their love child Brady in the 4:30 PM Sunday slot?

Re: AFC Divisional Round Scheduling

Ratings.

Two teams with larger fan bases / TV market audience will always get the coveted Sunday night spot.

Blog Entries

Houston had to play on Saturday last week. I didn't read anyone complaining that was unfair to them before that game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Ratings.

Two teams with larger fan bases / TV market audience will always get the coveted Sunday night spot.
    I'm not sure if Houston are a bigger fan base that the Ravens, I think it's more to do with what GOTA said.

5. Re: AFC Divisional Round Scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Houston had to play on Saturday last week. I didn't read anyone complaining that was unfair to them before that game.
    And so did the Bengals. Level playing field. In this case, the Ravens are playing a team that had a bye-week, so it's a different scenario. However, the Broncos earned their 1 seed so there is no reason they shouldn't have the advantage. I only brought it up because it went contrary to how I expected it to work, but its easy to understand when you consider what matters when scheduling and that is ratings.

Blog Entries

For the past few years, from what I remember, it works like this. I think it's a little unfair to shorten the week of a team that just won, but some teams still win.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I'm not sure if Houston are a bigger fan base that the Ravens, I think it's more to do with what GOTA said.
    TV Market.

It's the fourth largest city in America and the 3rd largest TV market.

And it's certainly debatable, but I'd put the Texans right up there with us in terms of number of fans. NE certainly has more fans than the Ravens.

EDIT: Correction. Houston is the #10 TV Market in the country.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 01-07-2013 at 01:36 PM.

8. Re: AFC Divisional Round Scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by TheProBoller View Post
    And so did the Bengals. Level playing field.
    And to clarify by level playing field I meant from a short week standpoint. Obviously, the Texans still had the home-field advantage.

To me it's not a big deal. The ravens have plenty of experience playing on 6 days rest in the playoffs.

This happens all the time. It makes no sense. Having the team that played an won on Sat, playing the next week on Sunday, while the team that won on Sunday has to play Saturday.
    It's stupid. It's been stupid in the past, and it is still stupid now that it affects the Ravens. Now, I know, you cannot be sure of who is going to win and thereby the set up. But you could presume the higher seeds to win and the mathcups that would ensue.

11. Re: AFC Divisional Round Scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Now, I know, you cannot be sure of who is going to win and thereby the set up. But you could presume the higher seeds to win and the mathcups that would ensue.
    I don't believe the dates are times are even set until after all the AFC matchups are complete so they wouldn't even need to assume. Maybe I'm wrong.

12. Re: AFC Divisional Round Scheduling

This has nothing to do with ratings. This is done to give both #1 seeds an extra day of rest assuming they make it to the Championship game in their respective conferences. This is a perk for being the #1 seed