Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Johnny Football

Re: Johnny Football

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Johnny Manziel is a fantastic college football player. He might have the upside to be the best college football player of all time. But that doesn't mean all that much for the NFL. The guy Manziel would replace as best CFB player of all time is Tim Tebow, and that guy's a punt protector and Wildcat QB at the pro level.

He's very exciting to watch, but he doesn't look to have a truly NFL caliber arm at this point. A lot of things could change over the next few years as he physically matures, but right now he's a more athletic Colin Klein IMO. Don't forget he also has probably 3 first round picks on his OL, a freshman WR who looks to be on his way to being a high first round pick, and one of the most underrated senior WRs out there in Ryan Swope. He's got a lot of help to look this good.

Let's see Manziel have 2 or 3 more good years developing into an NFL caliber passer before we anoint him a draftable player, much less a first round pick, much less a 1st overall pick.
    I agree. Tebow in college also had some gaudy passing numbers to go with his rushing numbers in some games as well. Manziel is also only 6-1 so not prototypical NFL QB height. He looks very good and promising but he still needs to develop some more.

2. Re: Johnny Football

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    He's around 6'1" and wears a size 15 shoe. He's gonna get bigger (I'm guessing around 6'3") and he'll get stronger.
    It's almost unheard of for guys to grow taller after they turn 17.
    There'd have to be something wrong with his pituitary gland for him to grow taller at 20.

Blog Entries

People sure do love flashy players. Just as much as i wouldnt want rg3 or cam newton even though i admit theyre great players, i wouldnt want johnny football. Hes a diminutive player that likes to run. Barely 6' and wirery. Hes fun to watch and a hell of a college player but id say the same worries about longevity effect him even greater. Tebow was one of the best college players of all time, game doesnt always translate (although hes a way better pro prospect already).

Thats not even taking into account we have a prototypical qb with a cannon thats never missed a game...
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    Why?

I personally think he's gonna change football, especially at the NFL level. He's around 6'1" and wears a size 15 shoe. He's gonna get bigger (I'm guessing around 6'3") and he'll get stronger. He's fast as hell and can make plays with his arm while stationary and on the move. As mentioned above, he's only 20 so he'll get smarter as well, especially playing in the SEC which are more like defenses he'd see in the NFL.

I'd be astonished if he wasn't the #1 pick when he comes out. How he performs next year in the SEC after gaining all the accolades this year will go a long way to proving whether he'd be a viable NFL QB.
    Ive seen him say himself hes 72", a full 72" but nothing more. And everybody thats around him even smaller analysists, have come away saying hes tiny for a football player. I think hell get thicker, but not alot as his frame is set and wont allow it without it being a detriment to his game. Hes a sure fire #1 unless that teams set at qb and cant trade out or chooses not to.
    -JAB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Ive seen him say himself hes 72", a full 72" but nothing more. And everybody thats around him even smaller analysists, have come away saying hes tiny for a football player. I think hell get thicker, but not alot as his frame is set and wont allow it without it being a detriment to his game. Hes a sure fire #1 unless that teams set at qb and cant trade out or chooses not to.
    Troy Smith was a pretty ridiculous college QB and he has a Heisman too. He dropped to the 5th round I think?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Troy Smith was a pretty ridiculous college QB and he has a Heisman too. He dropped to the 5th round I think?

makes you wonder why QBs like Smith couldn't make that transition to the big times. Have all the talent and athleticism in world just couldn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    makes you wonder why QBs like Smith couldn't make that transition to the big times. Have all the talent and athleticism in world just couldn't make it.
    Mental midgets.

You can't rely on pure athleticism in the NFL, we see that time and time again.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    He didn't have "all the talent in the world". He was wildly innaccurate, short as heck, not nearly as athletic or fast as he was made out to be, adn as mentioned above, notbright at all when it comes to decision making/reading defenses, etc. All he wanted to do was get out of the pocket, but he wasn't really faster/quicker then NFL OLB'ers.

He's a redshirt freshman this year, so he'd be draft-eligible after next season. Won't go #1 with Clowney available.

The kid's got a much better arm than the likes of Crouch, Tebow, Troy Smith, etc.

His vision and pocket presence are stunning. I think he'll be a fine NFL player, in the mold of Steve Young.

10. Re: Johnny Football

RG III's knee just gave out trying to reach down to recover a bad snap.
    No one touched him.

You guys still want one of those shiny new-fangled scrambling zone-read rookie QBs?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Hes a hell of an athlete but diminutive athletes can succeed in college and very rarely in the pros.
    -JAB