Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Luck Overrated?

Luck Overrated?

Sure Andrew Luck is really good but how good. He's thrown for 4,374 yards, 23 TD and 18 INT while rushing for 200+ yards... However he is completing just 54% of his passes... When did those numbers become great? Maybe eventually he'll become great and win multiple Super Bowls. However, he's not there as of now. Everyone says that he has complete control over the offense but fails to mention his stats.. He's good but c'mon, he's not even close to great yet. It's just amazing that he gets so much love. Some people say he's a top 5 QB already. The Ravens defense isn't great but they should be able to control Luck. I think this just shows the media bias. Flacco has thrown for 3,817 yds and 22 TD and 10 INT and 59.7 completion %... The average fan considers him just average yet he takes the blame for every Ravens playoff loss... Yet every win is because of the defense. I just had to get this out of my head. Crazy how the media and the average fans have certain guys that they show favoritism towards. Meanwhile if Atlanta loses they're already blaming Roddy White. Yet they just said that Matt Ryan is an MVP candidate. I just thought I would share.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Blog Entries

Re: Luck Overrated?

You should peek into our debate about Romo or Flacco. What things are hinging on as of late is "with the game on the line, Flacco seems to step up while Romo chokes."

Luck may have thrown a lot of INTs and have a lowered (but not bad) completion %...but he certainly had some good comeback wins this year. I think a big reason for his lower incompletions is taking deep shots to Hilton. Kind've like Joe to Torrey, that deep bomb is really a setup to get the D respecting the WR's speed. But often, it's a throw that isn't completed and in the stat sheet, shows as a negative. But you can bet the CB we have on Hilton is going to be ready to turn his back and run a 9 route with Hilton. You can't let him get deep with a step on you.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Yeah, Cary has played better though... I think our defense has gotten better also. We just have to stay discipline and play for 60 mins. We've played some elite Qbs but I don't think he's one, atleast not yet.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

That's part of what this game is about, I think.

Luck has performed very well and observers think he will be very good very soon and I actually agree with that.
    And he has led the team, which has a 26th rated defense.
    So, he is being given alot of credit for raising them to a 11-5 record.
    Heck, I know and agree how they down talk Flacco.
    And we know why he doesn't have a ring right now.

But I will give Luck his props for doing what he does.
    He is very talented and has a bright future.
    Let the media talk all they want.
    They predicted if the Ravens put it all on Flacco that they would not win the division or get to the playoffs.
    And we all saw how that worked out.

None of those talking heads will mention those failed predictions, yet they still dump on him.
    I don't care anymore what they say. It is biased and that's what the NFL wants.

Hopefully, the Ravens rise up and play to their potential and stun everyone.
    If our Ravens come out and play like they did in the first game of the year, people will change their tunes at least a little. Right now, they are beginning to believe and Ray is leading the charge.
    It is up to Flacco to seal the deal. I am looking forward to it. I CAN'T WAIT!

Pretty much what you said... Being the only Ravens fan in my area, I just need somewhere to vent sometimes lol. Generally I just laugh at what the "experts" say but sometimes it's too hard to resist saying something.

I would say quite hte opposite.

Russell Wilson and RGIII are stealing his thunder... sure, they have "prettier" stats, but they also are asked to do FAR less. Both are more complimentary players on their team That's not intended to be a slight to 2 good-great rookie QB's, jsut reality that they are asked to be less of a factor in whether their team wins or loses.

Indy has a terrible run game, terrible Oline and terrible D... yet they made the playoffs. THey made he playoffs almost exclusively on the back of Luck. SEA and WAS both have great lines, great runnign games and great defenses.

edit... and oh yeah, receiving corps too... slanted away from Indy as far as those 3 teams are concerned... but closer then the rest of the teams.
    Last edited by jonboy79; 01-04-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I would say quite hte opposite.

Russell Wilson and RGIII are stealing his thunder... sure, they have "prettier" stats, but they also are asked to do FAR less. Both are more complimentary players on their team That's not intended to be a slight to 2 good-great rookie QB's, jsut reality that they are asked to be less of a factor in whether their team wins or loses.

Indy has a terrible run game, terrible Oline and terrible D... yet they made the playoffs. THey made he playoffs almost exclusively on the back of Luck. SEA and WAS both have great lines, great runnign games and great defenses.
    Agreed with this. RGIII is using basically a one read scheme. Luck is doing it all with a minimal support cast. I'm not sure about 'overrated' but the kid is very good.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

8. Re: Luck Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I think a big reason for his lower incompletions is taking deep shots to Hilton. Kind've like Joe to Torrey, that deep bomb is really a setup to get the D respecting the WR's speed.
    yeah, but how many deep bombs are thrown a game to where it alters you're completion % to below 50%?

I don't think Luck is overrated, but he has at times struggled this year. In saying that, Luck should be a very good NFL QB barring injury. He has all the tools and ability to make the throws, prob needs another 15-20 games to put it all together though.

BTW, here are his stats for his last 8 games-

@JAC- 18-26att/comp 227 yds 69.2 comp% 0td 1int 93.7qb rtg
    @NE - 27-50 334 54.0 2 3 47.1
    vs BUF-20-37 240 54.1 1 1 67.2
    @ DET- 24 54 391 60.0 4 3 70.8
    vs TEN-16 34 196 47.1 1 2 50.6
    @ HOU- 13 27 186 48.1 2 0 95.6
    @ KC- 17 35 205 48.6 1 0 76.5
    vs HOU-14 28 191 50.0 2 0 96.0

I dont believe so, he's my rookie of the year. Imo for him to run that offense with the freedom and responsibility he has behind that O-Line, average backs, and their pass catcher's beside Wayne arent of the caliber you'd see on a playoff team. I think as they get better talent he'll be better stats wise, as well as his own improvement but he's already a very good QB. I think if you put him on the Redskins and asked him to run that offense(outside of the read option)with those weapons and what they ask RG3 to do in the pass game i think he'd put up better numbers as a passer then what RG3 did.

I don't think anyone's saying Luck isn't good but it seems as if his stats don't backup the hype. He's good but if he wasn't drafted 1st would he be considered as good with those numbers. It doesn't seem likely. At this point I believe RG3 is better. Maybe Luck will have the better career but NOW, RG3 is better. You can't discredit his numbers because of the offense he runs. Without RG3's speed and quickness then WSH can't run that offense. I think sometimes we look 5 years ahead instead of NOW.

Blog Entries

Luck has a no running game behind him, a crap offensive line in front of him and an old Reggie Wayne plus a group of no name receivers to throw to. Add to the that the fact that he's a rookie and I can't see how anyone can't be impressed. I wouldn't put him in the top 5 QBs this year but he has a real shot at it next year. Imagine how good he'd be with a Ray Rice.
    Last edited by GOTA; 01-04-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    I don't think anyone's saying Luck isn't good but it seems as if his stats don't backup the hype. He's good but if he wasn't drafted 1st would he be considered as good with those numbers. It doesn't seem likely. At this point I believe RG3 is better. Maybe Luck will have the better career but NOW, RG3 is better. You can't discredit his numbers because of the offense he runs. Without RG3's speed and quickness then WSH can't run that offense. I think sometimes we look 5 years ahead instead of NOW.
    again, I disagree. I think it's far more impressive what Luck did with so little, compared to what RGIII did with what is a VERY good team. Sure, RGIII diddn't throw many picks, because he wasn't often in a position where the team NEEDED him to throw it all game long....

Look at Peyton's rookie year stas with a similar trash Indy team... very similar, except for the wins.

RGIII had the better year, but IMO there is very little doubt Luck will have the better, longer career.