The return of Lewis... More blitzing?

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...n-of-ray-lewis

With ray Lewis we blitzed, sent five of more, almost 40 percent of our snaps, never let in a touchdown and had five interceptions.

Without him we have blitzed just 25 percent of the time, allowing the reverse. 5 tds and no picks.

Now, this do also conincides with webby going out so this article could be written about the wrong player.

But given Andrew lucks struggles with the blitz, here's hoping it was ray and not Webb which lead to the superior play.

Re: The return of Lewis... More blitzing?

That is a REALLY good article and a very interesting read. Given that Ray isn't very good in coverage anymore, he may be better used as a blitzer up the middle on passing downs. He knows how to time his blitz well, he's still fast enough going north and south, and if he has a shot at the QB he's probably not going to miss it.

There's also the mental aspect that when Ray is on the field you can expect that everyone will know their assignment and if the QB makes a check in response to a certain look Ray will not miss the adjustment. That makes the blitz that much more effective.

Another wild card to go along with this... Dannell Ellerbe. Having him and Ray next to one another and both healthy REALLY amps up the interior pass rush. It's no coincidence Ellerbe is tied w/Art Jones for 3rd on the team in sacks with 4.5. He is legitimately extremely good at knifing through gaps and pressure up the middle shuts down ANY QB. I absolutely expect the Ravens to use some exotic blitz packages featuring their ILBs to great effect on Sunday.

Another interesting schematic wrinkle: Ihedigbo and Pollard are both also effective blitzers. I'd like to see the Ravens use some exotic play calls out of 3-safety nickel and dime sets this game. Anything that shows Luck something he hasn't seen before and puts our best personnel on the field.

I remember last year when everybody was gushing about Andy Dalton before they started playing us, and we brought him down to earth.

More importantly, with Ray, Suggs, and Reed out there, it makes Halioti/Kruger/Upshaw/Jones much more dangerous.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

I certainly think they're going to try and confuse Luck and keep him off balance. You know Pagano has done as much as he can to help prep but when the game is really going, it's all reaction.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    That is a REALLY good article and a very interesting read. Given that Ray isn't very good in coverage anymore, he may be better used as a blitzer up the middle on passing downs. He knows how to time his blitz well, he's still fast enough going north and south, and if he has a shot at the QB he's probably not going to miss it.

There's also the mental aspect that when Ray is on the field you can expect that everyone will know their assignment and if the QB makes a check in response to a certain look Ray will not miss the adjustment. That makes the blitz that much more effective.

Another wild card to go along with this... Dannell Ellerbe. Having him and Ray next to one another and both healthy REALLY amps up the interior pass rush. It's no coincidence Ellerbe is tied w/Art Jones for 3rd on the team in sacks with 4.5. He is legitimately extremely good at knifing through gaps and pressure up the middle shuts down ANY QB. I absolutely expect the Ravens to use some exotic blitz packages featuring their ILBs to great effect on Sunday.

Another interesting schematic wrinkle: Ihedigbo and Pollard are both also effective blitzers. I'd like to see the Ravens use some exotic play calls out of 3-safety nickel and dime sets this game. Anything that shows Luck something he hasn't seen before and puts our best personnel on the field.
    Yes, I agree with all of that. I'm sure Ray was going over alot of game video to find tendencies and little things that give away plays and habits.
    And I'm sure Ray has seen it all. And that is important.
    On the field, in a split second, he will recognize something and either spread the word to help his teammates or he will just react (like 4th and short against Chargers) and make the play.

The defense as a whole has gotten better as the season has progressed and some young players have been able to develop faster than usual due to all the injuries and thus more playing time.
    The Bengal game was a godsend in that it got all the other players real playing time against the Bengal starters for an extended time.
    The Ravens are as good as they can be right now.
    The emotion has surely flowed into Baltimore during the last two days and it is a wave that I hope will aide in everything the Ravens will try to do Sunday.
    Every Raven will be giving every ounce of what they have and emotion is an enormous help to defensive players as they have to react and rush to the ball. No one will get tired...there is no time to think about that.

I do think the blitzes will come and if that is one of Luck's weaknesses, he better run for his life.
    IF we get an early lead, the dogs will be let lose, you can bet on that.
    And pairing Ellerbe and Ray, to me, is the best pairing going into Sunday.
    Ellerbe has been getting thru alot and with Ray next to him, they can rush either one now.

7. Re: The return of Lewis... More blitzing?

Luck is too mobile.
    And Ray has lost too much of his speed.
    He won't get to Luck before Luck can throw the ball or see him coming and elude him.

Would rather see Ray as a 2-down LB, where he can concentrate on shutting down their running game. Limiting his snaps will also keep him fresher.
    Though sending him on a blitz or 2 at just the right moment could payoff big.
    I just wouldn't lean on Ray as a blitzer. Send the safeties, Kruger, Suggs, Ellerbe, Bynes, Hamilton...they're better suited.

As far as blitzing before/after Ray, keep in mind that Webb left in the same game as Ray. With Webb you basically had their top receiver on lock down with 1-on-1 so you could be more aggressive with the other guys. That was also Peas last game on the sideline so that could have affected his play selection as well.

I think Suggs being healthy would be more of a benefit than Ray. Kruger's really turned it on down the stretch and if we could have him on one side and a 90-95% Suggs on the other we can do some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Luck is too mobile.
    And Ray has lost too much of his speed.He won't get to Luck before Luck can throw the ball or see him coming and elude him.

Would rather see Ray as a 2-down LB, where he can concentrate on shutting down their running game. Limiting his snaps will also keep him fresher.
    Though sending him on a blitz or 2 at just the right moment could payoff big.
    I just wouldn't lean on Ray as a blitzer. Send the safeties, Kruger, Suggs, Ellerbe, Bynes, Hamilton...they're better suited.
    I fear you might be right. I see references to "exotic" defensive schemes, but then I recall that we have Pees and that Pagano is on the other side of the field. Ray WILL bring emotion and intelligence to the D, and that could be enough, but I'm unsure just what he'll add physically.