Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Could Sunday be more epic than Cal's 2131?

2131 was special. Cal's lap around the field is something I'll never forget, but I think Ray's departure is going to be even more epic due to the impact it will have on an important game.

As much of an event as it was. The date for 2131 was known well in advance and planned so there was little chance a rainout would spoil it as a road game. From 3 years prior it was known with a higher degree of certainty that he would break the record than the Aaron was a sure thing to make it to 715. Both were terrific accomplishments, yet they were anticlimactic in a way.

Sunday is going to have an element of spontenaeity and crowd involvement that will be unique.

Specifically, Ray Lewis will be the conductor for that crowd all Sunday afternoon. When he raises his arms for noise, there will be noise like you have never heard before at M&T. If you are there and the Ravens win, it won't be the dance, nor probably any other activity planned that you'll remember best, it will be those key moments in the game where Ray lifted his arms on 3rd and 4, you screamed at the top of your lungs, and Luck seemed pressured into a turnover, sack, penalty, or simply a failed conversion. You'll remember that Ray Lewis made that happen, and you were there to contribute in some way.

The only Orioles moment which truly made me get teary was the closing of Memorial Stadium and the former Orioles taking the field at their positions 1 last time.

One more thing...which meant more to you in Baltimore sports history:

--Eddie Murray or FRobby's 500th home run
    --Johnny Unitas' last TD pass

For a lot of reasons, if you chose the latter I think you'll say this is the greatest individual moment in Baltimore Sports history.
    Last edited by Filmstudy; 01-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.