Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Could Sunday be more epic than Cal's 2131?

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Cal Ripken Jr., in his first year of ballot eligibility, got elected to the Hall of Fame with the third highest percentage of votes of all time (behind Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan). (Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof07/...ory?id=2725461)

That was probably very largely as a result of his 2131 achievement.

Do you think Ray Lewis will be get that kind of support on his first ballot year? I have no doubt he'll get in, but that kind of unanimous support is unlikely.
    Cal got in because of both his streak and his stats. He was one of the best short stops to ever play the game, streak or no streak.

And yes, I think Ray is a lock for 1st round HoF voting.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

On the flip side, there will be over 20,000 more people in the stadium so it will be a lot louder than Ripken's game

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    I have to disagree with this. First, Cal Ripken had 3,100 hits, 431 home runs, was a 19 time all star, a 2 time AL MVP and a Rookie of the Year. The Home Runs may not seem like a lot, but they are probably the most of any short stop who was never tainted by steroids. If Cal Ripken had take a 100 games off over his career he still would have been one of the greatest Orioles ever to put on a uniform and a first ballot hall of famer. Ray Lewis is a bigger national figure now, but Ripken has been retired for over a decade.

The Ripken streak game was a national event because baseball had recently come off a brutal player's strike. There had been no World Series the year before and a lot of fans were down on Baseball. Ripken breaking Gerhig's record and taking that lap around the stadium went a long way towards healing those wounds that many have forgotten about.

Ray's dance and entrance is not a national event, his retirement is. People who have never been to a game at M&T don't really have a sense of how the dance has become a true Baltimore institution. We Baltimore fans will miss the entrance when Ray is gone and so I am jealous of those who will see it one last time in person. But I don't think it has the larger importance

The bolded part is actually my exact point. IN Baltimore they make it seem like Cal is defined by the streak, and that the streak is a major record. I don't find that to be the case outside of baltimore.

Brett Favre isfar more then his streak, same concept.

Ansd onto other posts... I absolutely think Ray Lewis is a first ballot HOF'er and quite possibly may be one of the leading vote getters in history.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I don't think so, unless Ray has a huge game with a couple of turnovers and we win going away. Even then, I think it falls short.

I was at 2130/2131 and it was surreal. It was like Disneyland. You couldn't walk 100 feet without literally bumping into a celebrity. The media coverage was like Apollo 11...the energy in the stadium was unbelievable before gametime, and escalated until the end of the 5th inning. I was in the right field flag court when the confetti came down. It was a World Series Game 7 multiplied by 5. And the fact that Cal hit the HR in 2131...wow.

Maybe if Ray returns an INT in OT for the winning TD...wouldn't that be something.
    MASN just showed it this week and it's still unbelieveable. Cal got all those gifts including a new SUV. YOu gotta hand it to
    Petey, he sure knows how to throw a party if nothing else.

Will Ravens do that with Ray and I don't mean just saying thanks at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Will Ravens do that with Ray and I don't mean just saying thanks at half time.
    Will they do it Sunday? Of course not. They're all kind of busy getting ready for a playoff game.

Ray will get his ceremony next year when he goes into the Ring of Honor. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't need an SUV. It always seemed kind of dumb to me to give stuff like that to a multi-millionaire.

I think it’s important to remember that no one, including Cal Ripken himself, knew what 2131 would become. There was a ton of spontaneity there and I’d argue that the spontaneity was far more memorable than the planned events for that evening, particularly a rather weak speech from Peter Angelos.

Do we know what will happen on Sunday? No. But given the stakes and the finality of the game, I believe it will be more epic than 2131 should the Ravens win as I expect. I guess we’ll wait and see.
    Follow me on Twitter @ russellstreport

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    particularly a rather weak speech from Peter Angelos.
    Not to mention excruciatingly long. Is he done talking yet?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Being a non Baltimore native, I have to chuckle at this.

I really don't think that baltimore natives and fans have the right kind of grasp on Cal that the rest of the world does. He is immortalized in Baltimore for having "perfect attendance" something that is nowhere near as big a deal elsewhere as it is here....

Ray Lewis is a MUCH bigger national figure. I think this game has FAR more national impact then Cal's perfect attendance streak game.
    Cal is immortalized in Baltimore for being Cal. The Streak is great and awe-inspiring, both for the perseverance it shows as well as the luck (avoiding freak injuries, etc). Ripken wasn't just a Baltimore sports figure at the time, however. Up through the end of his career, he'd get standing ovations at away ballparks. He'd spend hours at away ballparks signing autographs for the fans of other teams. Opposing players would make a point of going up to talk to him. Talking with the other team after a game is fairly common in the NFL. It's not common in the MLB, then or now.

The OP makes a good argument, and he's entitled to feel that way, but this isn't as big as 2131. That was the breaking of an historic record. There's no one close to touching Gehrig now, let alone Ripken. Given the way the game is played today, it's very possible Ripken's record will never be broken.

Lewis is a transcendental figure, I'll grant you. He's become something of the Godfather of the NFL. Players on other teams look up to him and seek his advice on a frequent basis. He's friends with multiple players on every team, and at the end of a Ravens game you will invariably see him meeting and talking with players from the opposing team regardless of the outcome of the game. In that, he's like Gino Marchetti was in his day: someone everyone from the owner of his team to players on other teams respected, admired, and sought out for advice (Shula got the coaching job here in Baltimore because Rosenbloom asked Marchetti who he should hire to replace Ewbank). But this is his (probably) last home game, not a chance to break an all-time record. It'll be a great and bittersweet moment for Ravens fans, especially since Lewis is the last of the original Ravens and he's meant so much to this franchise and fan base, but it's not 2131.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Will they do it Sunday? Of course not. They're all kind of busy getting ready for a playoff game.

Ray will get his ceremony next year when he goes into the Ring of Honor. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't need an SUV. It always seemed kind of dumb to me to give stuff like that to a multi-millionaire.

Yea, like Cal really needed one but he was smiling and loved it. O's did it when Cal broke the record playoff or no playoff
    in front of a full house which was all the time back then.

2131 was special. Cal's lap around the field is something I'll never forget, but I think Ray's departure is going to be even more epic due to the impact it will have on an important game.

As much of an event as it was. The date for 2131 was known well in advance and planned so there was little chance a rainout would spoil it as a road game. From 3 years prior it was known with a higher degree of certainty that he would break the record than the Aaron was a sure thing to make it to 715. Both were terrific accomplishments, yet they were anticlimactic in a way.

Sunday is going to have an element of spontenaeity and crowd involvement that will be unique.

Specifically, Ray Lewis will be the conductor for that crowd all Sunday afternoon. When he raises his arms for noise, there will be noise like you have never heard before at M&T. If you are there and the Ravens win, it won't be the dance, nor probably any other activity planned that you'll remember best, it will be those key moments in the game where Ray lifted his arms on 3rd and 4, you screamed at the top of your lungs, and Luck seemed pressured into a turnover, sack, penalty, or simply a failed conversion. You'll remember that Ray Lewis made that happen, and you were there to contribute in some way.

The only Orioles moment which truly made me get teary was the closing of Memorial Stadium and the former Orioles taking the field at their positions 1 last time.

One more thing...which meant more to you in Baltimore sports history:

--Eddie Murray or FRobby's 500th home run
    --Johnny Unitas' last TD pass

For a lot of reasons, if you chose the latter I think you'll say this is the greatest individual moment in Baltimore Sports history.
    Last edited by Filmstudy; 01-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    2131 was special. Cal's lap around the field is something I'll never forget, but I think Ray's departure is going to be even more epic due to the impact it will have on an important game.

Specifically, Ray Lewis will be the conductor for that crowd all Sunday afternoon. When he raises his arms for noise, there will be noise like you have never heard before at M&T. If you are there and the Ravens win, it won't be the dance, nor probably any other activity planned that you'll remember best, it will be those key moments in the game where Ray lifted his arms on 3rd and 4, you screamed at the top of your lungs, and Luck seemed either pressured into a turnover, sack, penalty, or simply a failed conversion. You'll remember that Ray Lewis made that happen, and you were there to contribute in some way.
    I swear I'm so pumped up I could fight right now. Sunday can't come soon enough.

12. Re: Could Sunday be more epic than Cal's 2131?

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Maybe if Ray returns an INT in OT for the winning TD...wouldn't that be something.
    While certainly that would be exciting to say the least, I'd just assume pass on having to endure that type of drama in This game.
    Not sure my heart could withstand the strain that type of game would put on it.

Sunday is going to have an element of spontenaeity and crowd involvement that will be unique.

Specifically, Ray Lewis will be the conductor for that crowd all Sunday afternoon. When he raises his arms for noise, there will be noise like you have never heard before at M&T. If you are there and the Ravens win, it won't be the dance, nor probably any other activity planned that you'll remember best, it will be those key moments in the game where Ray lifted his arms on 3rd and 4, you screamed at the top of your lungs, and Luck seemed either pressured into a turnover, sack, penalty, or simply a failed conversion. You'll remember that Ray Lewis made that happen, and you were there to contribute in some way.
    Boy, that's deep right there Filmstudy.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries
    In my mind, Ray is 10,000 times bigger than Cal.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

As much of an event as it was. The date for 2131 was known well in advance and planned so there was little chance a rainout would spoil it as a road game. From 3 years prior it was known with a higher degree of certainty that he would break the record than the Aaron was a sure thing to make it to 715. Both were terrific accomplishments, yet they were anticlimactic in a way.

Specifically, Ray Lewis will be the conductor for that crowd all Sunday afternoon. When he raises his arms for noise, there will be noise like you have never heard before at M&T. If you are there and the Ravens win, it won't be the dance, nor probably any other activity planned that you'll remember best, it will be those key moments in the game where Ray lifted his arms on 3rd and 4, you screamed at the top of your lungs, and Luck seemed pressured into a turnover, sack, penalty, or simply a failed conversion. You'll remember that Ray Lewis made that happen, and you were there to contribute in some way.

The only Orioles moment which truly made me get teary was the closing of Memorial Stadium and the former Orioles taking the field at their positions 1 last time.

One more thing...which meant more to you in Baltimore sports history:

--Eddie Murray or FRobby's 500th home run
    --Johnny Unitas' last TD pass

For a lot of reasons, if you chose the latter I think you'll say this is the greatest individual moment in Baltimore Sports history.
    It gives me chills just thinking about how this game is going to be. There is no doubt that the atmosphere will be electric on Sunday at the bank. Man I can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

No one cares about baseball anymore. Sorry folks! NFL is king and the heart and soul of the entire CONCEPT of defense is playing his last home game.

I expect madness.