Christian Thompson

I don't know much about him. I know he hasn't played, but assuming Reed retires/doesn't resign (not saying he will be gone, just looking at the scenario) does anyone feel confident about Thompson being our man at FS?

Blog Entries

Re: Christian Thompson

No. Not when he has trouble with zone. He was selected to back up Reed and Pollard as he could play either position and at ST. So no I wouldn't have any confidence in it. If I'm wrong than great but he's also been broke so how much has he been able to pick up?

If Reed isn't coming back, which honestly I don't see, either through retirement or us not being able to afford him and going to another team(most likely option) we're gonna have to spend high on a draft pick or look for a FA pickup or trade. Some wiley vet CB to move to FS for the next couple years. This is more of what I see happening as we have too many other holes to fill early than spend it on a blue chip FS which really nothing much is coming out from that standpoint. A couple guys MAYBE but who knows.

I don't think so. I didn't really understand the Ravens taking him in the 4th at all, to be honest... I was only able to really find one game's worth of tape and I wasn't particularly impressed. The video isn't good quality but here's a link:http://draftbreakdown.com/christian-...e-cookman-2011

Anyhow, he just doesn't look all that talented to me. He does have the physical tools, but he needs a ton of technique work and mental reps. He was apparently training with Ed Reed prior to the draft so maybe he's profited from that tutoring. Unless he's really developed, I think he's best as a career backup. Optimistically he could contribute next year in a 3rd safety kind of role where he drops down into the box to cover TEs and blitz.

They also have Emanuel Cook as an RFA next year, he's on IR right now. I think he's more of a backup at SS than a starting FS, as well. I just don't see anyone with the potential to play FS at a high level on the roster. You might be able to get serviceable play out of James Ihedigbo but he's a FA next year and not likely to be back.

Blog Entries

No one is going to get handed that job. Someone is going to have to win it in camp and even they're going to have to keep proving themselves all year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't think so. I didn't really understand the Ravens taking him in the 4th at all, to be honest... I was only able to really find one game's worth of tape and I wasn't particularly impressed. The video isn't good quality but here's a link:http://draftbreakdown.com/christian-...e-cookman-2011

Anyhow, he just doesn't look all that talented to me. He does have the physical tools, but he needs a ton of technique work and mental reps. He was apparently training with Ed Reed prior to the draft so maybe he's profited from that tutoring. Unless he's really developed, I think he's best as a career backup. Optimistically he could contribute next year in a 3rd safety kind of role where he drops down into the box to cover TEs and blitz.

They also have Emanuel Cook as an RFA next year, he's on IR right now. I think he's more of a backup at SS than a starting FS, as well. I just don't see anyone with the potential to play FS at a high level on the roster. You might be able to get serviceable play out of James Ihedigbo but he's a FA next year and not likely to be back.
    Actually, I believe Cook was slated to be the back up to Ed Reed. Cook has some major wheels. I think Thompson is more of a SS.

I do agree that currently this team does not have a legitimate starting FS on the team for next year.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.