Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Mike Carey (w Hochuili Bonus) to Ref Our Game

The indiviual refs are graded for calls and the crews for things like the clock and things like that.

So in the playoffs they usually mix the crews up with the highest rated officals. Obic if people in Careys crew score high they will work with him. But its not always the head Ref who screws the game, sometimes its a bad BJ or LJ that makes bad calls so he is rated bad and we think its the ref. all he is doing is announcing the call that the other offical threw the flag for.

I dont think winter though will get a playoff game as he individually made bad calls as did cheffers. some refs on their crews might though

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Carey will be fine on Sunday.

And let's hope we get someone like Gene Steratore for our trip to New England the following week.
    Assuming CIN bets HOU??

i like NE in the division round better then DEN I dont want to play DEN unless there is a trip to the super bowl on the line. We can beat NE as we are a bad matchup for them and always play them close and when we have lost to them it has been because we messed up, not them beating us

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Great attitude. :grbac:
    OK, New England is more likely than not to beat us with or without Gene Steratore. Better? I say this because we beat the Pats in Baltimore by one point when they were missing Hernandez. Our defense has improved but the game is in New England.

People here sometimes act like people are traitors if they don't predict we win every game and finish every year in the Super Bowl. I'm being realistic. Of course I think we CAN win and HOPE we do.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Here come the bashers.

Never mind the fact it was Suggs fault. That won't stop folks from blaming Carey for the whole blow up.

Personally, I don't think you could ask for a better crew.
    lol still think that?

Carey tried, but Ravens take the luck they have and win anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    lol still think that?
    Yes.

The helmet to helmet hit was the right call.

Still need to see the taunting thing though.

iggyman555 Guest

Yes.

rice first fumble? holding? etc...

8. Re: Mike Carey (w Hochuili Bonus) to Ref Our Game

Yes.

It was the right call.

But the rule is all wrong.

Pollard went in sideways and ducked his head to avoid helmet to helmet & shoulder to helmet IMPACT.
    But because of the IMPACT to the WR's chest, the WR's head snapped forward and there was CONTACT between his helmet and Pollard's.

IMPACT to the head causes concussions
    CONTACT to the head does not.

The NFL should be embarrassed with itself for not wanting to make that distinction because they're true agenda, and thus main focus, is to sell that they are doing all they can to eliminate head injuries because of these recent (and future) lawsuits.

Pollard was evidently taunting with malice in his heart.

Michael Carey continued to show that he is either one of the most incompetent or the most corrupt officials in all of professional sports. This was a horribly called game. I'd prefer to think Carey is just stupid, but there's a good chance that he just plain wanted the Colts to beat the spread today.

Horrible officiating

Give us the ref that Harbaugh respects for the next game, Gene Steratore

I can't say I recall any horrible games from him. Maybe he's poor but from watching from NFL Sound FX, Harbs respects him

edit, I remember the "Calvin Johnson rule" but that was good officiating, all they can do is enforce the rules that exist

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    rice first fumble? holding? etc...
    The lack of holding calls really stands out, but that might be an NFL-wide thing. The Texans OL should have been called for 15 or 20 holds last night, they were tackling guys on almost every passing play.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    It was the right call.

But the rule is all wrong.

Pollard went in sideways and ducked his head to avoid helmet to helmet & shoulder to helmet IMPACT.
    But because of the IMPACT to the WR's chest, the WR's head snapped forward and there was CONTACT between his helmet and Pollard's.

IMPACT to the head causes concussions
    CONTACT to the head does not.

The NFL should be embarrassed with itself for not wanting to make that distinction because they're true agenda, and thus main focus, is to sell that they are doing all they can to eliminate head injuries because of these recent (and future) lawsuits.
    See, the problem that the NFL has created is that now every good, square hit on a receiver is in theory a penalty, mostly because receivers are taught to "hunch down" and lower their heads as they bring the ball into their bodies. No matter how good your form is as a tackler, when receivers are lowering their heads into you, you're going to contact them. It doesn't mean you're leaving your feet, leading with the helmet, or doing anything like that.

It literally happens every time in that situation--go back and look at Ray's hit on Keller from 2010 that was cited as an "ideal tackle" by the league. Ray CONTACTED Keller's helmet on the play, but it wasn't called because at that time the NFL was more sensible in how they applied the rule. Nowadays, if I were an NFL receiver I would just lower the side of my head into the defender every play for a free 15 yards, at virtually no risk to myself.