Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ellerbe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ellerbe

Does yesterday's news open the door for an Ellerbe return? Is the cap savings of a retired ray Lewis roughly equal the deal Jameel got last year?

If so, I thin it needs to be done. Ellerbe was our best ILB'er this year.

Re: Ellerbe

I didn't think they'd let Ellerbe get away before, and I don't now. I should qualify that by saying I think they'll make him a great offer. If he chooses to leave, he obviously will unless Joe signs and they franchise him (not likely). But if he would like to stay, I don't think the Ravens will have a problem making him a great offer. Especially where McClain is somewhat of a question mark (though I expect him back as well).
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Only problem is Ellerbe's agent has some leverage now. Ravens have money they were committing to ILB. Ravens supply at ILB just bottomed out. He might get a bigger deal than McClain's now. Almost wonder if they were too quick to give McClain a starter's contract. He's the 3rd best ILB on the team right now.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Does yesterday's news open the door for an Ellerbe return? Is the cap savings of a retired ray Lewis roughly equal the deal Jameel got last year?

If so, I thin it needs to be done. Ellerbe was our best ILB'er this year.
    I think he is clearly after Joe, one of the top priorities for this offeseason.

He has been very, very good this year.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ellerbe is definitely a high priority for the Ravens this year. He has to be.
    The dude is fast with a great burst. He just needs to be a little more controlled. I have seen him getting better with his control while he's moving so fast since he's had all this playing time.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Cary is gone as we have enough CBs as we usually take one in rounds 3-5 every year for depth (Brown, Asa) I want to see what Asa can do.

I dont think we keep Kruger as we have Upshaw and he would be a luxury.

Elerbie will be re signed and wont get the kind of money bart scott got from the jets as he was a 3 year full time starter.

I also think Ed comes back as we dont have any other options.

As far as cuts, I see Leach gone ( we run fine without him and would have 3M in cap space) I also see Boldin being asked to take a pay cut. Bobbie williams is gone, Birk will retire or be cut. I can see us cutting McClain as well as Bynes as played well. I would love us to sign the Bama LB from the Raiders who will prob be cut who is in their dog house all year.

I also think we reach a deal with Flacco its best for both even if we slightly over pay him. It will take a lot off the cap as we dont want to start FA with a 15M franchise cap hit.

Blog Entries

Upshaw and Kruger aren't the same player.

Ozzie seems to highly value outside pass rush, especially from "tweeners" (guys like Bouleware and Suggs who played defensive end in college but are athletic enough to play OLB in the NFL). Kruger fits that bill. It won't surprise me if Newsome pays Kruger and lets Ellerbe walk if he's looking for too much money in Ozzie's opinion. What hurts Kruger's chances of staying here, imo, isn't Upshaw, but Suggs. Suggs is still (when not injured) a dominant player in the NFL, and he's in the role that Kruger best fills (as a starter). He's not an edge-setter. Upshaw is already better than Kruger against the run, imo. Upshaw is the heir to JJ, not Suggs.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I don't see that. It's OBVIOUS that the future is in Suggs on one side and Upshaw on the other. Kruger has proved he's not a every down OLB. He is another Barnes. period a obvious pass situation rush the passer, and sometimes he gets there.

ILB is much much different. McClain is nothing special. It's obvious we're gonna have to invest a high draft pick into the position. Ellerbe is needed to stick alongside whatever rookie we draft. McClain is there for depth along with Bynes and McClellan(although McClellan has shown he can provide depth at OLB also).

Sorry I just don't see the money vs value there. We can go draft a 4th or 5th rounder that can do what Kruger does. Thats a few hundred grand vs a couple mill.
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post

Ozzie seems to highly value outside pass rush, especially from "tweeners" (guys like Bouleware and Suggs who played defensive end in college but are athletic enough to play OLB in the NFL). Kruger fits that bill. It won't surprise me if Newsome pays Kruger and lets Ellerbe walk if he's looking for too much money in Ozzie's opinion. What hurts Kruger's chances of staying here, imo, isn't Upshaw, but Suggs. Suggs is still (when not injured) a dominant player in the NFL, and he's in the role that Kruger best fills (as a starter). He's not an edge-setter. Upshaw is already better than Kruger against the run, imo. Upshaw is the heir to JJ, not Suggs.
    Suggs isn't the future, at least not the long-term future. He is 31 years old with 10 years of experience, and after 149 games his body is falling apart. Boulware was done after 126 games, Jason Taylor was done (but kept playing) after right around the same mark, and on and on... sure, there are some guys like John Abraham who keep rushing the passer really well deep into their 30's, but they're the exception, not the rule, and the odds are REALLY against an older guy coming back 100% from the kind of injuries Suggs has had this season.

I think we've seen the end of Suggs as a potential All-Pro pass rusher. He's still got the good technique and ability to be a good player, but I doubt he'll be around more than a few more years. NOW is the time to look to the future for the next Ravens "premier" pass rusher. I'm not sure Kruger is definitely the way to do that, but he's an option and he's been an OUTSTANDING pass rusher this year. On a per-play basis, he's been among the very top players in the NFL, it's just that he doesn't do it every down every game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post

Very true. But for RIGHT now we still have Suggs and he's still playing at a high level. I'm betting they see what Hamilton can bring as far as pass rush, and maybe pick up anothr "tweener" in the middle rounds of the draft. Really depends on how the first couple rounds play out, AND how much stock they put in Jones and McPhee. It seemed obvious before that we needed a 3-4 end that could get to the QB and take pressure off Suggs and Ngata. But lately it's moved to more of a NT tackle need.

Really the bottom line is this, the teams that have a dominant DL usually make the playoffs, and go deep in them. Look at the Giants, the Colts of a few years ago(yes Manning had his part but it was their D that knocked us out of the playoffs), the Saints of a couple years ago, the Texans last year, etc.... not to mention OUR own line with Ngata ad Redding and before that well we all know what it looked like.

iggyman555 Guest

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Ray Lewis' retirement will save Ravens $4.35 million in salary-cap space

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7305107.story

Blog Entries

Ellerbe is definitely a high priority for the Ravens this year. He has to be.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Ray Lewis' retirement will save Ravens $4.35 million in salary-cap space

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7305107.story
    Thanks, that should be plenty for a first year cap number on an Ellerbe deal.