Ravens no huddle stats (and do we take it on the road)?

A user from another forum produced these no huddle charts based on play-by-play data. Here's what I gleaned:

• The no huddle when used a lot at home has been really effective (OAK, NE, DAL, NYG). The one exception is DEN which I think is a combination of the OC switch and the fact that most of the no huddle was used in garbage time.
    • It looks like they outright scrapped no huddle on the road after KC. Really curious what they'll do if we go to NE/DEN.
    • Higher completion percentage and less sacks? It seems like we should run it more yet we already run it 2nd most in the league. It would be interesting to see yards per play in the no huddle vs. normal.

I know I'm looking past the Colts, but if/when we go to NE/DEN would you rely heavily on the no huddle? A decision was made earlier by Cam or whoever to abandon it on the road as evidenced by the percentage of plays against WAS, SD, PIT, CLE, and HOU presumably due to communication issues. However, after removing the no huddle Joe put up some not so good numbers:

Code:
    HOU - 147 yds
    CLE - 153 yds
    SD  - 272 yds (regulation)
    PIT - 164 yds
    WAS - 182 yds
    Joe has clearly expressed his affection for the no huddle to the media and I think making your QB comfortable is one of the foundations to a successful offense. Compound that with the fact that we would be going against Peyton and/or Brady which is going to necessitate 25-35 points most likely. Jim Caldwell crafted Peyton into the ultimate no huddle QB, capable of executing at home or on the road. He's had a much smaller amount of time spent with Joe, but if I can read between the lines a little, I'm hoping they'll bust out the no huddle once again:

Quote 1 - Nov. 3
    'We're looking at everything from a communication standpoint. How we can make sure, on the road, that we're on the same page. ... I think getting on the same page is the first thing we have to do.'
    - Cam Cameron after the Texans drubbing

Quote 2 - Jan. 4
    Communication has been great. Jim's been great all year. I think he's getting more and more comfortable and settling in a little bit. Communication is at a very high level right now; we just have to keep it that way on Sunday. Communication throughout the whole offense is one thing that he's brought - pushing me to really communicate with the receivers and get on the same page with everybody. I would say that's the biggest thing because in order to have a top offense you have to push that really hard.
    - Joe Flacco on Jim Caldwell as OC

Re: Ravens no huddle stats (and do we take it on the road)?

OAK = 29
    NYG = 16
    NE = 15
    DAL = 23
    DEN = 5 (2 by end of season)
    Looking at those rankings, I find it unsurprising that the no huddle didn't put up more than 17 points on the Broncos, as compared to the other teams in that listing. Other than the Texans, they were by far the best D we've faced this year (I consider the Steelers are a special case, kinda like fighting your brother). The Texans have slipped lately, but when we played them that D was unstoppable.

Btw, here's the link to the other forum. Jsarn1 did a lot of work on that, so I think it's fair he gets credit (unsurprisingly you'll find I'm the same Dweezil22 there).

Blog Entries

The problem with the no huddle under Cam wasn't communication, imo, it was the type of plays being called.

Even the Bills in their four-straight-Super-Bowl-losses day didn't try to push the ball down the field on nearly every play, but that was Cameron's approach. Nearly every pass play took time, and that made pass pro significantly more difficult. Communication certainly had an effect, in that the o-line and Flacco didn't have the opportunity they would in the huddle to get on the same page, but it was far from the major issue, imo.

If Caldwell calls the plays he did early in the Denver game and in the Giants game and the players execute (ie: catch the damn football!), the no huddle will work on the road, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    The problem with the no huddle under Cam wasn't communication, imo, it was the type of plays being called.

Even the Bills in their four-straight-Super-Bowl-losses day didn't try to push the ball down the field on nearly every play, but that was Cameron's approach. Nearly every pass play took time, and that made pass pro significantly more difficult. Communication certainly had an effect, in that the o-line and Flacco didn't have the opportunity they would in the huddle to get on the same page, but it was far from the major issue, imo.

If Caldwell calls the plays he did early in the Denver game and in the Giants game and the players execute (ie: catch the damn football!), the no huddle will work on the road, too.
    I agree, the No Huddle should work on the road. Use more hand signals and mix use it from play to play to keep certain defensive units on the field. Cam never really liked it, but Caldwell always used it with Manning in Indy. Actually the no huddle offense usually makes the road crowd noise LESS, oddly enough. I cant see any reason NOT to use it.

Blog Entries

The "mix use [of] it" would be good, I think. Use it so it seems almost random. Throw the defense on their heels and have them scared to death after every play you're going to quickly line up and threaten to snap the ball.

Then go into the huddle for a play or two or three. Call two plays in the huddle and skip the huddle before play 2.

Blog Entries

Most every team has trouble running no huddle on the road as compared to home, it's not specific to the Ravens. They talk about it on SiriusNFL

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I think we need to split 40 + carries between Rice and Pierce, have Leach out there for 80 % of the offensive snaps, and physically over whelm them up front. The Colts can't stop the run at all, then maybe look at running the no huddle up in NE if the Bengals beat the Texans, we've had a lot of offensive success in Foxboro and know the place very well. Denver is another story however...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think we need to split 40 + carries between Rice and Pierce, have Leach out there for 80 % of the offensive snaps, and physically over whelm them up front. The Colts can't stop the run at all, then maybe look at running the no huddle up in NE if the Bengals beat the Texans, we've had a lot of offensive success in Foxboro and know the place very well. Denver is another story however...
    I absolutely agree with this. They'll probably do a decent job of limiting the damage in the first half but over the course of the game there will be lanes and it also opens up the play action. No brainer

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!