Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Observations from Deep Space - To the Colts - Welcome to an AFCN Home game

I used to be a regular poster here a few years back but I got sick and my days were limited to the "must do" only. Hence the "Observations from Deep Space". It hasn't kept me from watching every Ravens games (was a seat license holder before I got sick too). Also watch most national AFC games in general (I just don't care about the NFC till later in year).

After reading some of the threads I am a little surprised that the atmosphere is rather "Iffy' going into this Colts game.
    I don't shoot my mouth off unless I really sense something coming ... its not guesswork ... its from years of watching football (and playing).

What you will see is a game very similar to what we saw against the Giants and the season's first game against the Bengals. Yep, it will be that kind of domination. My observations:

1. Don't let the Colts recent victory against the Texans fool you. I cant really tell you exactly what happened to the Texans but they are not a good football team. They have built a team over the past couple of years and while everyone had them as SB contenders, they have yet to register a playoff win. Schaub is starting to build a large sea of doubters. The implosion started shortly after Cushing was lost for the year. (then they killed the Ravens, I know)

2. Andrew Luck seems like hes going to be a winner, but right now he is turnover machine. You don't often here that with all the accolades. Hes LUCKy to be alive, folks hes been getting brutalized behind one of the most porous offensive lines in the game.

3. Colts are only team in Playoffs with a negative point differential. A large one at that. So how the 11-5? Luck. Andrew Luck. He has brought this team back from being down in the 4th quarter more than any other rookie ever has. Congrats. But Lucas Oil is their Alamo and this will mean nothing away in the AFCN. The Colts 11-5 in the AFC South = 7-9 in the AFCN or worse.

4. Have you guys watched any Colts games? Cant stop the run. Remember how the Colts couldn't stop the run in 2006 and wound up winning the SB. Well Luck is not Manning yet, and lightning will not strike twice. Can the Ravens run the football?

5. I want to strangle announcers when I keep hearing about all the Ravens terrible injuries on defense. That is old news. We lost one of the best CBs in football, yea. McClain injury only bothers me from a depth perspective. People, the Ravens just had a week 17 BYE, most everyone is back and rested. I think Pollard is ready to practically eat another human. And Ravens defense is looking like the RAVENS D of late, finding ways to put pressure on the QB .... plus we are still top near top ten in points allowed. Red Zone D has been good most of the year. Sky is not falling on D, we are just so damned used to being super.

6. One thing about some of the injury issues on defense ........ we found out something I already knew..... we have a rather deep and talented secondary. Remember this is a passing league, every team gets burned with the pass. Even with backups, the Ravens are getting burned less. I really like this group. And don't worry about Jimmy, he will get there.
    FYI, Cary Williams was leading the AFC in pro bowl votes at CB early in the voting. Hes a good CB folks and getting better all the time. If you don't think so, watch games with some of the premier CBs and tell me how much different the play is. There isnt much, they all get burned, and Cary breaks up as many passes as any of them.

The Ravens have a playoff team, perhaps the Colts have Ridden Chuckstrong this far. Bless Pagano but chuckstrong won't do it for them at M&T. Ravens 39 Colts 13.

Re: Observations from Deep Space - To the Colts - Welcome to an AFCN Home game

I like your optimism and agree with a lot of your analysis, especially the part about the Texans. They peaked early and have had cracks that have gotten worse over the last 5 games. They are beatable big time. I think the Ravens should win pretty solidly against the Colts if the "good Flacco" shows up. The Flacco that was starting to emerge yesterday, the one that throws high and isn't as accurate, if he shows, the Ravens are in big trouble. They better get the ball in Rice and Pierces' hands early and often to take some of the pressure off of him.

Blog Entries

Luck has a lot of turnovers because they ask him to throw it 50 times a game. No running game and 7 4th quarter comebacks, all on his arm. I think the Ravens can run the ball against Indy and figure out a way to get a turnover or two. If they can get an early lead, I agree it could be ugly for the opposition.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

He is also with the QB leaders in fumbles, 10. Joe is not far behind with 8, but Joe does not have 18 Int.

Blog Entries

My keys to the game...

On offense, RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RAY RUN! And Pierce too. This team can get eaten alive by the run. And low and behold...me have TWO awesome RBs. I'd ALMOST be okay with benching Flacco for this one and playing Tyrod, because we almost might guarantee a win if we install a wishbone offense where you could have one of three ball carriers coming out of the backfield at one time. No, we shouldn't start Tyrod, but Caldwell better not have Joe throwing it 40 or 50 times.

On defense, guard the WRs and get to Luck. Setup our best press coverage guy on Wayne, and have our best deep play CB on Hilton. The deep pass to Hilton is what scares me, because we've seen our guys giving up the 30, 40, 50 yard passes recently. Luck - Hilton is very similar to Flacco - Torrey. They take many shots which misfire so that you try to defend him. If you don't, see you later Hilton.

Colts have a lot of optimism going for them, but if our D is truly the healthiest they've been all year, I think we might suprise them a bit. Luck isn't as good as his stock is.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Luck takes some risks and I think one of his passes may find their way into the waiting arms of Ed Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Luck takes some risks and I think one of his passes may find their way into the waiting arms of Ed Reed.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about that, too.
    Hopefully Ed looks at alot of film with Ray and they figure Luck out.

Luck had alot of success against the Texans because, along with his coaching staff, they saw the obvious.
    To beat Houston, you pass deep, early and often. Their cover-2 is easy to exploit if you give your QB time to throw it deep. Green Bay did it, Pats did it, Cam never knew about it because his head was stuck in an orifice, but every other good coach knows it.
    I did see that Luck will look off safeties...hear that Ed?! Pretty good for a rookie.
    If our guys think Luck plays like a rookie, they better think again.
    He has alot of skill. Find a way to use it against him.

And as far as the Colts not being able to stop the run, they kept Foster and company to around the 100 mark.
    Foster had one run of 39 and the other 17 runningback carries gained 64.

This will be a tough out. In fact, I think every team in the final 12 is not an easy out.
    Can the Vikings make it to the show, probably not, but whoever plays them will get punched in the face.

That kickoff return turned that game yesterday. That wasn't Luck, but it sure fired up the team from there out.
    The Colts will come in flying high. The Ravens need to score early and often and our defense needs to put Luck on the turf over and over again. All these mental mistakes by the Ravens need to stop or it will send them home.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    Yeah, I've been thinking about that, too.
    Hopefully Ed looks at alot of film with Ray and they figure Luck out.

Luck had alot of success against the Texans because, along with his coaching staff, they saw the obvious.
    To beat Houston, you pass deep, early and often. Their cover-2 is easy to exploit if you give your QB time to throw it deep. Green Bay did it, Pats did it, Cam never knew about it because his head was stuck in an orifice, but every other good coach knows it.
    I did see that Luck will look off safeties...hear that Ed?! Pretty good for a rookie.
    If our guys think Luck plays like a rookie, they better think again.
    He has alot of skill. Find a way to use it against him.

And as far as the Colts not being able to stop the run, they kept Foster and company to around the 100 mark.
    Foster had one run of 39 and the other 17 runningback carries gained 64.

This will be a tough out. In fact, I think every team in the final 12 is not an easy out.
    Can the Vikings make it to the show, probably not, but whoever plays them will get punched in the face.

That kickoff return turned that game yesterday. That wasn't Luck, but it sure fired up the team from there out.
    The Colts will come in flying high. The Ravens need to score early and often and our defense needs to put Luck on the turf over and over again. All these mental mistakes by the Ravens need to stop or it will send them home.

Foster had 96 yards on 16 carries = 6 YPC. The Texans didn't really stick to the running game. Having Schaub throw 2 picks didn't help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Foster had 96 yards on 16 carries = 6 YPC. The Texans didn't really stick to the running game. Having Schaub throw 2 picks didn't help.
    Speaking of Schaub, would you say he's more or less under fire than Flacco is, given their downfall? Everyone seems to lump him in as a better QB than Flacco...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Speaking of Schaub, would you say he's more or less under fire than Flacco is, given their downfall? Everyone seems to lump him in as a better QB than Flacco...
    Schaub should be more under fire than Flacco because he's never had any success in the playoffs. I don't get how people say he's better than Flacco because he isn't.

Blog Entries

Schaub should be more under fire than Flacco because he's never had any success in the playoffs. I don't get how people say he's better than Flacco because he isn't.
    Drew from WNST said the same thing about Romo, but I am currently arguing with someone who claims Romo is better with one hand tied behind his back than Flacco, ANY day of the week...

People are subjective.

Blog Entries

The fans want him benched and they blame Kubiak for being too stubborn. And they want to fire Cam

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!