Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: I hope they lose next week, but I think I don't hate the Colts much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    The last time we hosted the Colts in a playoff game here, the entire town and media were hell bent on making the game more about the Irsays and Mayflower trucks than it was about the city moving on with the Ravens.
    This. You know, between winning the SB before the Irsays and the first 6 games against them, I think many fans let go of the hate. Not all fans, obviously, and, to be clear, I am NOT telling anybody how they should feel about the Colts or this game. But what really irritated me was how the media just assumed that ALL Ravens fans "hated" the Colts and they really did try to force that angle on their coverage the last playoff game in Baltimore. Hopefully, they will take a more balanced approach to this game, reflecting the diverse opinions of the fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'm 40 and that seems to be the cut off...Folks older than me seem to still carry the hate....Folks younger than me seem to not care.
    I agree. Although, I am on the north side of 40 and the "hate" (if you will) went away with the first win vs. them in 98 and the SB win (winning the trophy before Indianapolis). After that, I didn't see the point in carrying some sort of grudge.

Blog Entries

Re: I hope they lose next week, but I think I don't hate the Colts much anymore.

I stopped disliking them as much after they hired Chuck Pagano.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Agree. As long as there's an Irsay running the team, they will get no free passes from me.
    I don't understand the whole "Sins of the Father" meme that some folks harbor.

Junior is NOTHING like his Dad.

Thats right, he's not slimy alcoholic. he's a slimy drug addict.

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTTRACK View Post
    Thats right, he's not slimy alcoholic. he's a slimy drug addict.
    A slimy drug addict who grew up in Baltimore, knows the fans' wild enthusiasm for the Colts, yet refuses to support severing the records. Jimmy allegedly wanted to extort multi-millions from Modell for the Colts name & colors -- remember the delay in ordering the purple seats at the Ravens Stadium at Camden Yards, while discussions were ongoing.

Y'all can forgive Irsay Junior if you want. I don't.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    A slimy drug addict who grew up in Baltimore, knows the fans' wild enthusiasm for the Colts, yet refuses to support severing the records. Jimmy allegedly wanted to extort multi-millions from Modell for the Colts name & colors -- remember the delay in ordering the purple seats at the Ravens Stadium at Camden Yards, while discussions were ongoing.

Y'all can forgive Irsay Junior if you want. I don't.

DITTO! And come-on guys, where's the determination and staying-power??

I still hate everything New York from the 1969 Jets-Mets fiasco! But then I'll admit it; I've always had a bit of a bad attitude!

Blog Entries

He's not as drunk, but he's still an asshole. Junior was the one running the team when Modell moved here and contacted him about the name, colours, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    He's not as drunk, but he's still an asshole. Junior was the one running the team when Modell moved here and contacted him about the name, colours, etc.
    And wanted upwards of $25mil for them

I'll never forget those hillbillies throwing a parade and wearing "Indy Orioles" t-shirts

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    It's not like we don't know the story. Most of us grew up hearing it every single football season. It's just that we were far less personally effected. I was born a few weeks AFTER the vans rolled out of town.

I can only be angry about having something I never experienced stolen for so long.

I think that's why it's easier for me to embrace the Ravens as Baltimore's true team. I don't think of them as replacements, or as the "should be" Colts.
    DITTO! And come-on guys, where's the determination and staying-power??

I don't really give a damn about what the media thinks. My take is that I respect and love both the Baltimore Colts and the Baltimore Ravens. It is similar to my kids. I love them all unconditionally. I do not love one more than the other. The Baltimore Colts were the team from my childhood and I will always have fond memories of them.

I am forever grateful to William Donald Schaefer for making it possible to return the NFL to Baltimore.
    I embraced the Ravens the day they showed up in the parking lot. I loved them even though they weren't named "Colts". I loved them even though they did not wear the Blue I loved. When the Ravens came, I never owned a single piece of purple clothing in my life, now half my wardrobe is purple.

I do not want to change the name back, or change the colors, even if it were possible. I love the Ravens because they are Baltimore's team and because I believe the stewardship of my team has been handled 180 degrees differently under Art and Steve B. then it was under the Irsay regime.

I do not hate the current players, or even previous players like Peyton. I admire Chuck tremendously and pray for his complete recovery. I am not mad at him for taking one of only 32 avaqilable head coaching jobs in the NFL. But I do hate the Irsays because they deprived my children of a hometown team to root for when they were growing up. I feel the same way about Tagliabue, Jack Kent Cook, and everyone else who was involved in that travesty called expansion.

How the Baltimore Colts are presented in the Hall of Fame is disrespectful to Baltimore Colt players and fans alike.

You guys want to forgive or forget that part of the NFL's history, be my guest. But as for me ever liking or rooting for a team owned by anyone named Irsay---not going to happen.
    Last edited by ed from Bel Air; 12-31-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added emphasis