Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
Got a link to back that up?

Uhh, he was also the Senior Vice President of Officiating.

And no, that's not even close to everything a side judge does:

Per NFL.com ....

"Definition: The official that lines up 20 yards deep in the defensive backfield. His duties are essentially the same as the back judge:
• Make sure the defensive team has no more than 11 players on the field
• Watch all eligible receivers on his side of the field
• Watch the area between the umpire and field judge
• Rule on the legality of catches and pass interference penalties
• Watch for clipping on kick returns"
I was being a little facetious. Obviously he has more responsibilities than I cited, but it's just amusing that a guy who was on an NFL crew for ONE YEAR, and was essentially the #5 or #6 guy on the crew at best, made it to VP of Officiating and now is some sort of uber-expert on the NFL rules, despite questionable credentials and expertise.

Reminiscent of those guys we have all met in our work lives who have clearly been groomed by senior management... they come in, spend a year in the trenches, and then every year after that is a new promotion. The kind of jerk-offs that feel entitled by rank to lord over all the actual experts and professionals in their field. But I digress.

And no, I don't have a source for the 50% figure. It's anecdotal. When his little talking head pops up throughout the course of a game to "consult" on whether a call will be overturned or not, he's gotten the final call right about half the time and wrong about half the time.

I could certainly be wrong about the replay thing but it certainly seemed that McCarthy got an incredibly lucky break. The rule needs to go anyhow, but he got lucky.