Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Other Games Thread

too easy......

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Blog Entries

Its like watching a college offense

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    It appears that I stand corrected. After carefully reviewing the rules you cited, it looks like the relevant issue here is that 1) Throwing a challenge flag on an unchallengeable (as in, automatically reviewed) play is a pre-snap penalty; 2) the replay official may not signal for review of a call against a team that incurs a pre-snap penalty; 3) the Packers incurred the pre-snap penalty after review had already been signaled.

If that's what the rules say, then I was wrong. The whole rule is just incomprehensibly bizarre. It's funny that the whole rule is BS, but that McCarthy escapes being victimized by it because of a pure technicality. Again, he got incredibly lucky and it was a difference of a few seconds of time that saved him.

But wait... something I just realized. If they called the penalty on McCarthy at all, which they did, wouldn't that have actually been a pre-snap penalty for which no review should have been granted?? And shouldn't the review have been disregarded anyway? I guess I'm still not understanding it properly. It just seems like Carey split the difference in an inconsistent way--"well, I'll let the review stand but still assess a penalty." Doesn't make sense
    The rule is definitely vague, but I think the "prevent the snap" language is in there so that a team cannot get an encroachment or other penalty to give themselves more time to check the replay to see if they want to challenge. This is in terms of challengeable plays. As for automatic reviews (unchallengeable plays), there are still instances where the booth does not have time to initiate, i.e. under 2 minutes when a team is in hurry-up, where an intentional penalty to buy time could be employed. As for scoring and recently-added turnovers there seems to be a natural delay that would allow an automatic review, which makes the "to prevent a snap" language pretty unnecessary and stupid.

The bottomline to me, is that the replay official had already initiated the review, which in itself would hold up the snap, so that after that point any penalty, including pre-snap, would not technically "prevent" any snap. So I guess I am saying "prevent a snap" doesn't necessarily mean simply "pre-snap."

But you are right, the rule is nonsense, and it can be interpreted in a couple different ways, and the refs obviously, after the Thanksgiving Day game, are going to try to avoid such a stupid situation from occrring until next year when I guarantee they clear up the rule.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Its like watching a college offense
    because it is. lol

Not a lot of laundry and the game moves so much faster....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    because it is. lol
    lol crazy aint it.

I'm not one to quickly jump on a rookie being a sensation. Live long enough and you see plenty of promising players quietly disappear after their rookie season.

Not saying that's what's going to happen to RG3, but I'll wait until at least years 2 and 3 to see what he becomes. Wait until teams learn how to properly gameplan for him, then see what he has.

Same goes for other rookies having good years, like Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson.

Blog Entries

Man i must say this is one of the better officiating games.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Not saying that's what's going to happen to RG3, but I'll wait until at least years 2 and 3 to see what he becomes. Wait until teams learn how to properly gameplan for him, then see what he has.
    If he can RUN in 3 years...... I fear too many injuries with his style - unless Greedell adds flags to his waist!

Blog Entries
    I'm not one to quickly jump on a rookie being a sensation. Live long enough and you see plenty of promising players quietly disappear after their rookie season.

Same goes for other rookies having good years, like Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson.
    I agree. I'm a fan of rg3 but I don't think his style of play can last. Taking a lot of hits as a qb is a recipe for disaster in the nfl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post. Of the three, I think Andrew Luck is definitely here to stay... in all the history of the league, the only constant formula for winning has been an accurate, strong-armed, intelligent, and versatile passer who can will his team to victory even without a lot of help around him. Andrew Luck at a minimum has shown flashes of being exactly that.

Wilson and RGIII on the other hand get most of their production as a corollary to the run game and defenses around the league have not yet adopted to the college style spread option that makes the Seahawks and Redskins offenses work. RGIII has like 65% of his production off play-action this year, and teams are so scared of the option run and Alfred Morris that Griffin doesn't have to make a lot of reads or throw a lot of passes into tight windows.

The league will adapt to the option next year and take it away, the same as defenses adjusted to the Wildcat and took that away. The Dolphins got so much production out of the Wildcat in 2008 but it was dead the next year and nobody runs more than a handful of Wildcat plays a year.

I still think RGIII could be very good in any system, but he'll need to show me he can read defenses and pass from the pocket before I believe in him fully.

<yawn> I am losing interest in this game.... gah