Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OT - Browns to fire Pat Shurmur after tomorrow's game.

Saban ain't leaving Bama. He's making five million a year, T-Town loves him, and most importantly his wife says that's where they're staying.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    It seems like the comments from Browns fans on this are mostly pondering WHY they'd clear Shurmur out after posting the best season in YEARS. The GM seems to be universally disliked there, but they seem to want Shurmur to stay.

We'll see what Banner and Haslam do, but they seemed to be a better pair for the team, up to this move.
    Probably because it's not done for football reasons, it's simply because Haslam wants his own guys running it. I'm certainly not complaining if the Browns are set back another year or two again.

Mike Zimmer as next head coach?

All his career he's taken fairly average units and improved them

I remember him on Hard Knocks with theCowboys

Bengals are doing very well right now. Credit due

He interviewed for the Bucs and Dolphins jobs so he wants to step up somewhere.
    Things are looking up in Cleveland, sounds strange to say that but they had some young talent on that roster

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think it's certainly possible Saban comes back to the NFL but I can't believe it will be in Cleveland. I have no idea who it will end up being but I seriously doubt it's a big name former coach or really hot coordinator. That's an awful job with a pretty bare talent cupboard and a brutal division. I see a situation like Washington had years ago where they ended up with Jim Zorn, until they commit to a coach for more than two years and let them implement their system with their players, good luck getting anyone of note in there to coach your team.

Funny thing is...and others have kinda said it, I think Shurmur can win. I think Mangini would have eventually built a solid team there. You can't succeed with the instability they have had...
    The Browns right now are a blank slate with a new owner who learned how to build a team from the Steelers. That's very appealing to a top coach.

I recently read a column that said Saban's wife did not enjoy the NFL lifestyle. I don't know if this will factor into Saban's decision, should the Browns reach out, but I doubt he leaves Tuscaloosa. He's already had a statue erected in his honor, and is practically a deity in that community.

As for Shurmur, I agree that he will be on the short list of potential offensive coordinators for next season given his history with Harbs, although something tells me that if we do well offensively in the playoffs, Caldwell will be retained.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Mike Zimmer as next head coach?

All his career he's taken fairly average units and improved them

I remember him on Hard Knocks with theCowboys

Bengals are doing very well right now. Credit due

He interviewed for the Bucs and Dolphins jobs so he wants to step up somewhere.
    Things are looking up in Cleveland, sounds strange to say that but they had some young talent on that roster
    Cincy could very well lose BOTH assistants this year. Zimmer has been a HC candidate for a few years now. Gruden's name is pretty hot because of AJ Green and Dalton. I'd say Gruden's stock is even HIGHER than Zimmer's right now because he's a young exciting coach.

Of course, knowing our luck, both will say "they just want to help the Bengals win" and turn it down like Phillips did last year for Houston.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Unless we make it to NOLA, I don't see Caldwell being the OC.

Shurmur peeks my interest but not as much as Norv.

Blog Entries

Norv seems to be a hot name for OC for a lot of teams. The Jets fans are all convinced that Woody Johnson is going to pay him big money and force Rex to take him if he wants to keep his job. I've also heard his name for the Bears and the Panthers.

I honestly believe that Flacco could really benefit from a west coast system. It would force him to make quicker decisions and give him more options in the passing game. Shurmur makes a lot of sense if they go that direction. Plus he passes the Harbaugh relationship test.

Blog Entries

The "Harbaugh relationship" barometer goes both ways, you know?

Recently interviewed, Norv said he would go to a place as coordinator where 1) he could win and 2) "be in a situation that there are coaches I've worked with and been around."

So, even if Harbaugh might want Norv, Norv might pass because HE has no ties to Harbaugh.

But yeah, let's continue to mock Harbaugh's system of picking coaches who he's familiar with, because obviously he's the only one. (This isn't a dig at you GOTA, just a dig at everyone who constantly jumps on Harbaugh for "hiring his buddies". Basically, EVERY coach has a preference to hire people they know from previous work).
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Good point RS.

It's such an exclusive job set that every coach hires his buds in some capacity.

Yet Harbs gets a bad rap? Awfully silly, IMO.

Blog Entries
    The loyalty meme is so overblown. So many coaches know each other because its a small community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, hate to burst your Norv to Baltimore bubble, but the great Jamison Hensley called Norv becoming our offensive coordinator a "pipe dream". Jamison knows all, so I think we should discuss other candidates.