Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Ravens can restructure salaries to make room

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eate-cap-room/

The Bucs did it. Why can't the Ravens? Everyone on here seems hellbent that paying Flacco is going to kill the cap. Well, the Bucs just cleared off nearly $20 mill against next year's cap by restructuring VJax's deal and Carl Nicks' deal...and they JUST signed those deals a year ago.

I'm not saying that the Bucs and the Ravens are in the same boat, they're not, but this just goes to show you that there are ways to move money around so as not to kill the cap next year and still remain competitive in 2013 and in the future.

Ngata, Rice, Suggs, Boldin, Jacoby, Webb, and even McClain could all have their current deals restructured in some way (Ravor may have more insight into this) to make cap room.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: The Ravens can restructure salaries to make room

I'm not buying the "bucs did it why can't the ravens do it" arguement. One of the reason why the ravens have put a good product on the field for the last 5 years is their ability to manage their cap without doing a lot of heavy duty restructuring like the Bucs just did.

The Ravens have a lot of prudent personnel/contract moves they could consider this offseason.

I think re-structures for Ngata, Webb, and Yanda are definite possibilities. They'd free up a good chunk of money on those deals.

There are also several guys for whom extensions make a lot of sense. Boldin and Jacoby both have untenable cap numbers next year and I think we'll lose at least one of them. If we want to retain either of them, extensions would lower their 2013 cap numbers substantially.

As much as we might not like it, an extension for Michael Oher is also a strong possibility. I have a sinking suspicion that the Ravens believe he is the LT of the future, and I don't like that thought very much, but if they want him around now's a good year to buy low and extend him. He's been durable, he's shown some flashes, and he has versatility. I don't necessarily love him as our LT but I do love him as one of our 5 linemen of the future.

All told, just making 3 or 4 of the moves I've mentioned would free up north of 15 million, easily clearing the books for Flacco's franchise tag if necessary. Locking him up on a long-term deal would probably leave 10 million or so on the books--enough to lock up Ellerbe and perhaps 2 more players, depending on the contracts.

the ravens will make the hard choices like they have in the past ie. heap, mason, etc. they won't sell the future for the present. that's a redskin strategy.

boldin will be a tough call. he's got the ravens mentality but he is expensive and slow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I'm not buying the "bucs did it why can't the ravens do it" arguement. One of the reason why the ravens have put a good product on the field for the last 5 years is their ability to manage their cap without doing a lot of heavy duty restructuring like the Bucs just did.
    I'm not arguing that the Ravens should model themselves after teams like Bucs.

What I am saying is that this is a good example of a team addressing potential cap issues heading into free agency, so if the Ravens DID feel that re-signing Flacco to a big contract would prohibit them from exploring upgrades via free agency, then there are currently guys on this roster with big contracts that could be restructured. I don't know all the ins and outs of the cap, which is why I said Ravor might be able to add more to this, BUT what I do know is that every year multiple teams (successful and unsuccessful) find ways to improve their rosters and fall under the cap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    As much as we might not like it, an extension for Michael Oher is also a strong possibility. I have a sinking suspicion that the Ravens believe he is the LT of the future, and I don't like that thought very much, but if they want him around now's a good year to buy low and extend him. He's been durable, he's shown some flashes, and he has versatility. I don't necessarily love him as our LT but I do love him as one of our 5 linemen of the future.
    Agreed. It isn't optimal, but they could get Oher for a song right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    the ravens will make the hard choices like they have in the past ie. heap, mason, etc. they won't sell the future for the present. that's a redskin strategy.

boldin will be a tough call. he's got the ravens mentality but he is expensive and slow.
    I would tend to agree with this except if you look at some of the dead money hits that will happen with cutting certain players, it makes it a bit less palatable.

Boldin and Jacoby are in the last year of their contracts so it would have to be a contract extension or an outright paycut.

Rice and Webb both have low base salaries so there's really nothing to gain there.

McClain should be cut, not restructured.

We need to get out of the Ngata contract, not deeper into it.

Suggs we can save around 2.7m on in 2013 but it increases his 2014 cap number to 15.75m

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reedpixuoff View Post
    Boldin and Jacoby are in the last year of their contracts so it would have to be a contract extension or an outright paycut.

Rice and Webb both have low base salaries so there's really nothing to gain there.

Suggs we can save around 2.7m on in 2013 but it increases his 2014 cap number to 15.75m

Dont quote me on this, but I believe that there are ways to push money into bonuses, etc and that (or a portion of that) can be discounted from the player's overall cap hit.

Regarding cutting McClain - I think they'd have to eat something like 3 mill in dead money if they did that. Might not be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedpixuoff View Post

Couldn't possibly disagree much more on Ngata. He was playing DPOY level football to start each of the last 2 seasons, and only slowed due to nagging injuries he CHOSE to play through,. I'm all for getting deeper into his deal.

Vonta Leach is another good option for an extension to lower the cap. Jacoby Jones fits that to a T as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Dont quote me on this, but I believe that there are ways to push money into bonuses, etc and that (or a portion of that) can be discounted from the player's overall cap hit.
    You can turn base salary into a bonus, the benefit of which is that the bonus can be spread out over 5 years or the length of the deal whichever is less. But as has been said, the amount of money pushed into the future is dependent on the amount of base salary in the year. Jackson's base salary for 2013 was scheduled to be $13M. Rice's base for 2013 is scheduled to be only $1M (plus a $7M option bonus that is already going to be prorated and cannot be restructured to create any room). I think Ngata's base salary is like $4M only in 2013. Looks like Suggs' base for 2013 is $6.4M.

We should just wait for BMore Ravor to explain the details, but I am fairly sure we don't have as much low-hanging fruit in terms of freeing up present cap space through restructuring like the Bucs did with Jackson (i.e. huge base salaries that can be coverted into bonuses), and that is assuming we would want to harm the future for the present by using such moves which is debatable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    You can turn base salary into a bonus, the benefit of which is that the bonus can be spread out over 5 years or the length of the deal whichever is less. But as has been said, the amount of money pushed into the future is dependent on the amount of base salary in the year. Jackson's base salary for 2013 was scheduled to be $13M. Rice's base for 2013 is scheduled to be only $1M (plus a $7M option bonus that is already going to be prorated and cannot be restructured to create any room). I think Ngata's base salary is like $4M only in 2013. Looks like Suggs' base for 2013 is $6.4M.

We should just wait for BMore Ravor to explain the details, but I am fairly sure we don't have as much low-hanging fruit in terms of freeing up present cap space through restructuring like the Bucs did with Jackson (i.e. huge base salaries that can be coverted into bonuses), and that is assuming we would want to harm the future for the present by using such moves which is debatable.
    :word

I guess it depends on what the cap (not NFL set cap...the Ravens' cap) could look like in 2014, 2015, etc. Suggs will be entering the last years of his deal as will Ngata, but it seems like there will be a lot of money coming off the books in the future...

We are not the team from Western PA, THe one that always restructures deals and is in cap trouble every year and now cought up to the point where they have to make A LOT of cuts.

We may re do one or two but thats it. The Ravens dont like doing this and by having Ray/Boldin take a pay cut it would make this a non issue as would signing Flacco.

If they re did one contract to prorate over a long term It would be Ngata or Suggs. Webb wont get touched for at least a couple of years.