Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: The Ravens can restructure salaries to make room

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    :word

I guess it depends on what the cap (not NFL set cap...the Ravens' cap) could look like in 2014, 2015, etc. Suggs will be entering the last years of his deal as will Ngata, but it seems like there will be a lot of money coming off the books in the future...
    I agree, Ray and Boldin will have to take pay cuts to stay and there wont be much dead money. and in a few years Ngata and Suggs will be in that boat. By waiting it means there is less of a hit in the future as you have already taken a hit for most of what you have paid the player.

"Restructuring" contracts doesn't save the team any cap room, it just delays the cap hit. If we soften the cap hit next year, it will just mean that there will be less cap room in the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    "Restructuring" contracts doesn't save the team any cap room, it just delays the cap hit. If we soften the cap hit next year, it will just mean that there will be less cap room in the future.
    100% true

Didn't the Ravens just restructure Yanda this offseason? That was an attempt to free up some room because Rice's tag was killing them in free agency. I can't see them doing to much of it since it really does just keep pushing things down the line until you can't push them anymore. More likely they'll make some cuts to get a little more space.

I'm okay with a little bit of restructuring but nothing significant because too much restructuring is just an indictment of how bad the contract was structured to begin with. Something you can't accuse the ravens of too often. I think we'll be able to sustain our winning ways by drafting better and cutting loose aging veterans. Something the ravens have not been shy about over the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    100% true

Didn't the Ravens just restructure Yanda this offseason? That was an attempt to free up some room because Rice's tag was killing them in free agency. I can't see them doing to much of it since it really does just keep pushing things down the line until you can't push them anymore. More likely they'll make some cuts to get a little more space.
    Yanda was just restructured this past off season so I don't see it.

In addition restructuring deals is what's killing the Steelers. I think the Ravens will say goodbye to some veterans ala last year and count on the young guys they draft and are already here to be at least serviceable (speaking of young guys look for Adrian Hamilton to have a sack or 2 as well as a FF on Sunday.....I just have a gut feeling).

Even with those changes the Ravens should be in good shape to win the division for a third year in a row because the Steelers are about to really pay the piper and the Bengals simply never push themselves over the hump with a key FA signing (ie another real receiver to compliment AJ Green) even though they have plenty of cap space. The Browns will be rebuilding yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    We are not the team from Western PA, THe one that always restructures deals and is in cap trouble every year and now cought up to the point where they have to make A LOT of cuts.
    What cuts will they have make they would not make in any event? The Steelers were 20 plus million over the cap last year. With restructures they are 15 million over this year. The cap was flat.

Who did they not sign to extensions that was prevented by the cap? Regardless of their cap figures, they were not going to give Wallace Fitzgerald money.

They will cut the veterans they were going to cut all along this year. By next year they will have a nice chunk of money under the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eate-cap-room/

The Bucs did it. Why can't the Ravens? Everyone on here seems hellbent that paying Flacco is going to kill the cap. Well, the Bucs just cleared off nearly $20 mill against next year's cap by restructuring VJax's deal and Carl Nicks' deal...and they JUST signed those deals a year ago.

I'm not saying that the Bucs and the Ravens are in the same boat, they're not, but this just goes to show you that there are ways to move money around so as not to kill the cap next year and still remain competitive in 2013 and in the future.

Ngata, Rice, Suggs, Boldin, Jacoby, Webb, and even McClain could all have their current deals restructured in some way (Ravor may have more insight into this) to make cap room.
    Bucs were able to do it now because they still had a huge amount of money under the cap for 2012. You have to have the room under the current cap year to do this. The Raven's do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    We are not the team from Western PA, THe one that always restructures deals and is in cap trouble every year and now cought up to the point where they have to make A LOT of cuts.

We may re do one or two but thats it. The Ravens dont like doing this and by having Ray/Boldin take a pay cut it would make this a non issue as would signing Flacco.

If they re did one contract to prorate over a long term It would be Ngata or Suggs. Webb wont get touched for at least a couple of years.
    i think its called Pissburg.

Blog Entries

If we're going to restructure any contracts it will be Suggs, and it will only be by like 2 odd million. Every little helps for us, and they will structure at least one contract in the offseason, but most of the cap savings will come from cuts/retirements, or contract extensions.

I'd have to imagine Boldin gets cut, not restructured. It sucks to say since he's such a likable guy and prototypical Raven, but if it happened to Mason and Heap at similar points in their career I don't see why Boldin would be exempted. I'd also think Birk would be a possible cap casualty if the coaches have faith in Gradkowski.

Jacoby Jones is a prime candidate for a restructure, similar to the deal that Pollard got this offseason.

The really fascinating issue, and the elephant in the room, is what happens to 52. All objective evidence and logic would lead to him getting cut but how do you cut the guy who's been the heart and soul of the franchise since day 1?

The Bucs are set up completely different and some of those contracts are unlike any of of ours.

They have had so much cap room that neither Nicks nor Jackson had ANY signing bonus. And even with the restructure, they just converted money into a roster bonus.

Essentially, they can cut Nicks or Jackson at any point they want, and have ZERO cap hit.

As for us, we have never had the cap room to do what they did and we all know they don't want to restructure because you are just pushing money into the future...essentially what the Steelers did and are doing and why they are going to be probably $20-30 million over next years cap.

And frankly, I agree with it. To me, it makes no sense to restructure any time you want...especially players over 30. No way would I restructure guys like Suggs and Boldin. Frankly, until he shows he can stay healthy and play at a high level again for a full season, I wouldn't restructure Ngata either. I'd maybe do Webbie, but he'd have to really work with us due to his injury history. And why would I restructure McClain? He needs a pay cut, or cut all together IMHO. Maybe Yanda, but he was already restructured last year and I don't know how many times I'd want to do so.

IMHO, the team should have used things like roster bonuses earlier instead of these extremely large split bonuses.

Going back to the original names...other than Jacoby and Rice, I wouldn't extend any of them.
    Last edited by Raveninwoodlawn; 12-28-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    I'd have to imagine Boldin gets cut, not restructured. It sucks to say since he's such a likable guy and prototypical Raven, but if it happened to Mason and Heap at similar points in their career I don't see why Boldin would be exempted. I'd also think Birk would be a possible cap casualty if the coaches have faith in Gradkowski.

Jacoby Jones is a prime candidate for a restructure, similar to the deal that Pollard got this offseason.

The really fascinating issue, and the elephant in the room, is what happens to 52. All objective evidence and logic would lead to him getting cut but how do you cut the guy who's been the heart and soul of the franchise since day 1?
    Boldin and Jones both have one year left on their deals. How is one a prime candidate and the other not? I'm not sure Quan at $6 million (since his 1.5 million dead money is already a sunk cost) is any worse of a value than Jacoby at $4 million (what we'd have to pay him assuming we pick up his $1 million roster bonus). Besides, both players are entering the final year of their deals, so I'm not sure how you can restructure those anyways, unless you somehow did an extension of a year and diverted some of the 2013 salary towards 2014. I think you are just worsening your situation by doing that, though.

Also, I don't believe Pollard was restructured. I believe he was just given an extension. There is a big difference between the two. Pollard's original contract was a 2 year deal, so there would be no way to restructure before the final year of the contract (much like with Jacoby and Quan). When he signed with the Ravens it wasn't reworking the original contract, but rather adding an extension.

How to handle Boldin seems to be a polarizing topic here. I think the Raven's best option is this (and this is far from my first time saying this). Bring Anquan in and explain to him that your intention is to cut him and, if possible, work out a cheaper extension with him when cut. Offer him $7.6 million over 2 years. Give him a $2 million signing bonus and $2.6 base salary in 2013 and a $3 million base salary in 2014.

His 2013 Cap figure would be $5.1 million ($2.6 million+ 1 million prorated signing bonus+ 1.5 cap hit from his original signing bonus). Boldin is a valuable, consistent enough player that I think a $5.1 cap allocation makes sense...or at least at lot more than the $7.5 he is scheduled to count against our cap.

His 2014 Cap Figure would be $4 million ($3 million base salary and $1 million prorated signing bonus). Boldin would be 34 early in the 2014 season, but I don't think this figure makes him too expensive to keep.

From Boldin's standpoint, it makes sense as well. He gets to stay with a team that knows his talents well. Yes, he won't get his $6 million in salary, but he does get $4.6....$2 million of which he gets to pocket right away by signing his contract. He also has a contract for 2014 at a salary reasonable enough to think he will actually see the money.

Any thoughts Ravor?

Who has Ozzie and Biscuits email address....forward this to them! Keep Q!