Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Right Where I need to be
    Posts
    1,573

    Re: Human Body limits



    I have said it before and will say it again. The body can only be ready for CAR/TRAIN wrecks if it is getting it more than 1 time a week. The CBA has alot to do with the injuries also. Not all of it but, it is adding to the problem.

    The training and workouts etc etc etc. Is only part of football training. Gamespeed and GAMEHITS cannot be simulated. The fact that practices are easier and the fact they can only do the one practice with pads has and will continue to cause injury. The body is an amazing machine. But it has to be used to a routine. The CBA took that routine away.




  2. #17

    Re: Human Body limits

    I just tried to do a Google search for inhabitants of the NFL's Injured Reserve List - could not find it on the NFL site or the NFLPA site.

    Closest thing was from a LasVegas gambling site (whose accuracy may be suspect).

    Looks like 182 players are currently on Injured Reserve out of 1696 active roster spots on the 32 team 53 man active rosters (does not count practice squad). 10.7% on IR - who knows how many 2nd & 3rd rank players were 'nicked' and outright released without making it to any injury list (undrafted FA's cut during camp).




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Lets be honest steroids are a big reason why there are so many bigger and faster players out there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,535

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    I just tried to do a Google search for inhabitants of the NFL's Injured Reserve List - could not find it on the NFL site or the NFLPA site.

    Closest thing was from a LasVegas gambling site (whose accuracy may be suspect).

    Looks like 182 players are currently on Injured Reserve out of 1696 active roster spots on the 32 team 53 man active rosters (does not count practice squad). 10.7% on IR - who knows how many 2nd & 3rd rank players were 'nicked' and outright released without making it to any injury list (undrafted FA's cut during camp).
    Point?

    Correlation does not equal causation.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,932
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I've seen many articles on resistance training and other ways to strengthen ligaments and tendons. Are you saying that there is no way to do that?
    You can absolutely strengthen ligaments and tendons. They won't get bigger like muscles do, but you can strengthen them.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,932
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Lets be honest steroids are a big reason why there are so many bigger and faster players out there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I know guys who are NFL big and very athletic who have never taken any PED. They just had incredible genes, ate a shit ton, and worked out a lot. My cousin is 6'5" and easily 300+ lbs. He's a big guy, but he isn't entirely made up of fat. His dad was a big guy too and was an all-American collegiate player.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,952
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You can absolutely strengthen ligaments and tendons. They won't get bigger like muscles do, but you can strengthen them.
    I agree; I think the OP is saying otherwise
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,932
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I agree; I think the OP is saying otherwise
    Then the OP is sorely mistaken.

    There are several exercises you can do (in particular, resistance band exercises and yoga) to strengthen ligaments, tendons, and the muscles that surround them.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,535

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Lets be honest steroids are a big reason why there are so many bigger and faster players out there
    The NFL has done right with PED testing and was ahead of the curve on this issue, particularly ahead of the MLB.

    Maybe ten years ago, you'd have a point, but PED's (with the exception of HGH) is randomly tested throughout the season. We've seen a half dozen players already test hot for various PED's just this season.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #25

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The NFL has done right with PED testing and was ahead of the curve on this issue, particularly ahead of the MLB.

    Maybe ten years ago, you'd have a point, but PED's (with the exception of HGH) is randomly tested throughout the season. We've seen a half dozen players already test hot for various PED's just this season.
    With the exception of HGH, which is the most likely PED they would use, which is why we have seen people popped for Aderrall, as that wouldn't compete with HGH. That competes with cocaine on every college campus, actually competes is a bad way of putting it as Adderall basically replaced cocaine on college campuses.




  11. #26

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Then the OP is sorely mistaken.

    There are several exercises you can do (in particular, resistance band exercises and yoga) to strengthen ligaments, tendons, and the muscles that surround them.
    And so far this year the Ravens have had 2 players partially tear muscle away from bone - the connective tissues weren't up to the muscles strength.




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,932
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    And so far this year the Ravens have had 2 players partially tear muscle away from bone - the connective tissues weren't up to the muscles strength.
    It happens.

    My sister-in-law blew out her knee pretty good running the Philly marathon a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 12-28-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,535

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    And so far this year the Ravens have had 2 players partially tear muscle away from bone - the connective tissues weren't up to the muscles strength.
    Again, correlation doesn't equal causation.

    Any number of things could have been the precipitating factor in those injuries.

    And do not believe Ray's was a tear from the bone.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And do not believe Ray's was a tear from the bone.
    And even if it were I would imagine that at 37 he's simply going to be prone to those sorts of injuries when competing against athletes nearly half his age at the top of their game.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    448

    Re: Human Body limits

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Roger Bannister is further proof that the mind holds the body back... After he broke the 4 minute barrier, it was broken repeatedly and in short order.
    No, it's just because athletes have been getting stronger and faster over time, and that happened to be when the best runners were dipping under 4 minutes.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland